Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Loose hubs resolved, recall on jayco swift 184

For those of you who have followed our loose hub issues, we finally have an answer. Today, the National Highway Transportation Safety Board has issued a recall for all Jayco Swift 184, built between Oct. 2011 and Jul. 20012. An oversize wheel bearing has been installed, which could possibly lead to a crash of the tt. The recall is set to begin this month with the dealers contacting all who bought these tt. Of course, all this work is free of charge. So finally, after having person after person tell me they could find no problem with the tt, it seems now that we all know. My advise to all is be a bulldog, if you believe you have an issue with your rv, especially a safety issue, don't give in until you have your problem solved. We have now lost over 6 weeks of summer camping over this issue, but at least we are all safe and perhaps a future accident has been averted. You can find all the recall info on the NHTSB WEB SITE. .......HAPPY CAMPING!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Many thanks for all you've been thru and then getting the info out to us!

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

I called and emailed Jayco about this recall. At first the woman on the phone told me she knew nothing about any recalls. Then told me my trailer is okay because it was built on 10/17/11, 6 days prior to the recall. She also promised me a return call from someone in the "recalls dpartment". An hour later I get an email response from the customer service department telling me it is not a "Jayco" recall but a "Dexter Axle" recall and the recall dates are the Dexter Axle manufacture dates not trailer manufacture dates. The very next sentence tells me that my trailer may still be affected and should be inspected by a Dexter axle repair facility because they'll be able to determine if it is one of the affected axles. So...I'm taking it back to the dealer with a copy of the recall itself and the correspondnce from Jayco.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Would you have same axle as X17Z....I have found my aluminum wheels and tires get hot to easy...?
colport833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #5

I'm not certain but from what I understand the recall is for the axle itself. If your trailer was built around the time of the recall and has a Dexter axle it may worth looking into.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

The big problem right now is that if you bring your affected trailer in, they will tell you that it will be 2-3 weeks to resolve the problem. I want my trailer on the road for camping right away, or some form of loaner until it's ready. I didn't buy a trailer so I can sleep in a tent when I go camping. What is the dealer saying to you folks and are they offering any help with loaners or the like?
ertwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

My dealer told me they haven't been "officially" notified of the recall. In fact they said I was the 1st person to bring it to their attention. I gave them the NHTSA campaign number so they could see it for themselves. Jayco sent me an email response telling me I should have the axle checked but that I probably won't receive a recall notice because my trailer was manufactured 6, yes 6, days prior to the recall effective date. The dealer tells me that I will need to have a recall letter but they may accept a copy of the email I received from Jayco. They're calling Jayco to check into it and promised to get back to me.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Jayco is now pawning me off on Dexter. I'm still trying to get a hold of someone there. I'm feeling a run-around....
ertwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertwdan View Post
Jayco is now pawning me off on Dexter. I'm still trying to get a hold of someone there. I'm feeling a run-around....
Well, that could be a good thing. I, and some others, had brake issues w/ our TTs manufactured during a certain window. Contacting Dexter directly was the only way it finally got fixed. They were very helpful, vs. the dealerships. They shipped me the parts and had me take it in to a real trailer mfg. co. here locally who deals w/ them quite a bit. Problem solved.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

micron-- Jayco probably uses the " just in time" system for recieving parts from thier suppliers ie parts arrive at the plant today and are installed tomorrow. This cuts down on storage space, and accounts payable. Dexter was building these axcels with the wrong parts between 10/11 & 7/12 but nobody knows that a problem exists until they hit the road. If jayco knew there was a problem they can't stop the production line, but they should have had the dealers fix the problem before delivery. A lot of mfg's will let problems go , sell the units ( ie get the money) then have the item returned for the fix. My personal opinion is that whoever installed the wheels & tires has a p--- poor quality control team or none at all. Please excuse the tirate but as tight as things are today problems like this is a financial loser for all involved. Larry
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #11

JMO, these companies that use the "just in time" parts system are short-sighted. I equate it to the guy who leaves his house for work with EXACTLY enough time to get there. No room for any unexpected issues. It may work for a long time but eventually it may cost you your job. Or, in the case of parts, a loss of sales and therefor revenue. It's a matter of bean counters carry more weight than customers.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote