Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #21

Yes, we also had 3 springs break on the same trip and are underweight as well. I am currently working with Jayco for reimbursement.
EdHatheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdrs View Post
Just curious if any other Pinnacle owners have received a safety recall letter from Jayco about a suspension problem. The letter states: "Under certain conditions, the suspension system may allow tire contact to the wheel well and surrounding structure of the fifth wheel. This may cause damage to the tire, premature tire wear and/or cause handling issues that could lead to increased risk of a crash." They supposedly have a fix in the design process but not the parts yet.....another notice to follow in January. BTW, during our travels last summer, we had 3 leaf springs break on 3 different occasions. (And yes, I had the rig weighed and we are under weight.) Anyone else?
I received mine 3 days ago. I have a Pinnacle 36FBTS and had a spring break while on the road in the Rockies. I also have weight records that are under the stated maximums. I’m waiting on the next letter.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #23

Guy behind me is waiting for Jayco to come pick up his 2017. Bad sorings, axels and the brake backing all have failed. He was told it was the Chinese steel used for the parts. I was told by my service guy that it was one of the reasons they went to the Dexter axels in 2018. Jayco is buying his back from him
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #24

I have a 38FLWS 2020 and not received any recall.
Winnabego Adventurer
Coachman Mirada
Jayco Pinnacle 5W
Motorhommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #25

Pretty sure 2016 2017 are the ones with the issues
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #26

I have not received a recall on my 2019 36SSWS but reading this it looks like it's just the 2016 and 2017 models.
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #27

Anazeteo
What year is your FBTS?
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #28

I have the same problem

I too have a 2017 Pinnacle REFS. My trailer is at the dealer right now. I had the same clearance issue with the slides and the tires. I had one slide put a nasty groove in one of my tires. I can see rub marks on a couple of the other slides. I also had two broken leaf springs! CW is trying to figure out what to do. I have received a letter from Jayco. Sounds like the fix is heavier springs.
prbushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #29

Safety Recall

ALL 2017 Pinnacles have been recalled due to Safety issues with the suspension. I received a letter telling me to take my unit to the nearest Jayco service repair center. One of my Springs broke while I was on a trip.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #30

I also received the second letter that gives a brief description of the "fix". It starts with an inspection to see if any springs or rubber equalizers need replacing. Then they are to install bump stops on the underside of the leaf spring hanger tubes. The letter says nothing about heavier springs. All four of my springs are virtually brand new because I had to replace them when three of them broke. So I don't know if they will even approve new ones. As far as the bump stops, I assume that's just going to stop the springs from flexing too much. Sounds like a very cheap "fix" to me.
dogdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #31

We attended a Jayco presentation at our dealer's during the summer. One claim a rep made was that they were currently installing 4k spring sets on the North Point and Pinnacle 7k axles. Not sure how to tell but ours has 7 leafs in the pack. I think I read somewhere that 7 leafs are 4k and 6 leafs are 3.5k but I see on etrailer that there are 6 leaf packs for 8k axles. The length of the pack is a factor as well.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #32

Pinnacle safety recall

I have a 2017 Pinnacle 38 REFS. My unit has been at Camping World since mid September for some warrenty work. I also had two broken leaf springs. I contacted the CW service dept. with the information found here. I also found the actual recall notice and sent it to them. They hadn't heard of the recall. They told me that they asked Jayco and my VIN was not included in the recall. They said that other damage was done by the broken leaf springs. They were waiting for instructions from Jayco. CW has had the 5vr since mid Sept. I had all of the symptoms as described by the recall. Should I be contacting Jayco? What does the actual recall say? Why would CW be dragging their feet on this? Someone on this thread that all 2017 Pinnacles were being recalled. Can anyone confirm that? Does anyone have any advice on what Jayco number I should call?

Sorry for all the questions but I am concerned with the situation.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #33

I received the first letter in mid December that informed me that there was a recall and that they were waiting for parts. That's when I started this thread. I just received the second letter, informing me of the fix. The second letter specifically states that "ALL Model year 2017 Pinnacle fifth wheels" are being recalled. The letter has the last 8 digits of my VIN at the top. The letter also states that if the repair has previously been done that "you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost". I contacted Jayco at the main number and was connected to the tech support department. The lady said that they were in the middle of a computer system changeover and that the "secondary techs" would have to get back with me after January 2nd about reimbursement. The number I have for Jayco is (574) 825-5861.
dogdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #34

Thanks. Can you block out any personal information and send the last letter? My email is prbushaw@gmail.com

I wonder why CW would be playing this angle? I think it is time I contact Jayco myself. Thanks for the number.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #35

Wow, I hope that you guys that are having problems get them taken care of quick.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #36

Using a google search, I found a Jayco recall on 2017 Pinnacle's for suspension issues as discussed in this thread. There was also a 2019 Pinnacle recall for units equiped with the Carefree Altitude series awning. Seems the wrong size fuse was used and the dealer will swap fuses for free. There is no mention of any other Pinnacle years for recalls.

You can go to the NHTSA site with the link below to see the recall for 2017 Jayco Pinnacle. You can also search for information on other models or your specific unit with the VIN number.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/JAYCO/PINNACLE

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #37

North Point owners beware. Even though theirs been no recall on the North Points, our 2017 had the same problem and Jayco upgraded to 8000lb springs. I've seen other North Point owners on here with same problem.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #38

2017 Pinnacle FBTS Suspension recall

We have a 2017 Pinnacle FBTS and have had 2 springs break within a tear of each other. One on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Both were replaced and we got new tires out of it as well. I am going to take my unit in to have looked at because I have no idea what they used as replacements. The downside is we full time and it is our home. I have weight receipts as well showing I am 500 lbs under on the axles. It would be nice to get a little more clearance between the tires and the frame.
kliney1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #39

Pinnacle safety recall

Has anyone had the recall fixed on their trailer yet? I heard from CW today that the parts are on order and should be in late February. I was wondering if anyone has had the work completed yet. Will it end up making the trailer ride stiffer and higher??
Old 02-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #40

Good question, maybe someone will chime in soon.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote