Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

Pinnacle Step Bolt Recall

Our 2015 Pinnacle had a failure of the bolts on the outdoor steps. The dealer had ordered the replacement kit under the recall from Jayco, but had not yet received it. We bought bolts at Home Depot and installed them in the interim until the dealer can replace all of them. Inspect the bolts, because when they fail, the stairs are dangerous.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

Do you have the link to the recall information? One of mine failed, but it is an older trailer.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #3

Good info to know, thanks
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #4

I thought the recall was for some rivets shearing that would be replaced with bolts.

FOUND IT:

WASHINGTON — Jayco, Inc. is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 Seismic Pinnacle and Eagle Premier recreational trailers manufactured April 3, 2013, to Feb. 27. In the affected vehicles, a rivet for the quad entry steps may shear and fail, causing the steps to give when being used.
If the rivet shears under occupant load, the occupant may fall, increasing the risk of personal injury.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

Wow, why wasn't my 26BH included in the recall. I've had 2 rivets break, and replaced those and two more that were close to failing with good ol' Home Depot bolts and nuts.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

I saw the original recall on this site, but don't see it now. I contacted my dealer as soon as I heard about it and he confirmed the recall and has ordered the "kit".
I was wrong saying it was the bolt, as I really don't know the difference between a bolt, rivet or nut. To be more precise, the part that failed for us was the rivet and we can see at least 1 more rivet that is failing. Once that rivet fell off, the bolt pulled out of the holes. I panicked and called the dealer and he suggested that we place a few of those orange leveling square things we have, under the bottom stair to stabilize it and then told us to buy a new bolt and nut. After 2 trips to Home Depot, we figured it out ourselves and were very proud that we did our own repair. We bought extras for the next ones that fail. Will take the trailer back to the dealer when we return and he hopefully has the recall kit.