Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2021, 06:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I did read the NTSB failure modes, leaks, over pressure, etc on the recalled regulators.

rkymntsno, I'm curious, how are your regulators failing? leaks, no pressure?
The first one, it emptied the tank and I knew there was no way we went through that much propane. The second one most recently, that tank was not working when I turned it on. So I kept it off. When the dealer checked it, they soaped up the regulator and saw the bubbles so it was leaking. I also have a "sniffer" propane leak detector I check the lines every now and then.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #22

Interesting. I need to watch my mail, because I have had a major problem with my regulator.

Symptoms.
Orientation...standing at the ball facing the front cap on the rig.
A) turn regulator to feed from left side tank, and lots of hissing and seemingly continuous flow even with all appliances off...based on the sound.
B) turn regulator to feed from the right side (road side) tank, and no problems.
C) turn regulator to feed from both tanks, hissing and unjustified flow.

Experience.
Setup at a national forest campground with fridge on propane with regulator set to left side (curb side) tank, and left to return the next day. Neighbor detected smell of gas and fridge running continuously. I setup the day before we planned to actually occupy, and the camp host also noticed the propane smell and turned off the tank (only one open...curb side).

I returned to discover this and frozen food partially thawed...brought it home to re-stock with new frozen stuff. Thanked the camp host and neighbor who put up with this nonsense, and I went to work on the fridge. Cleaned the burner tube and checked the chimney. No issues.
Switched the regulator to the road side tank and no problems or leaks. That's how it stands at the moment.

Ordered a new regulator that I plan to install Friday.

Perhaps I'll get a reimbursement for the regulator purchase?

jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:47 AM   #23

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to get my dealership to do this recall this week, since it's there already, but have very little confidence it will happen, so I ordered the high flow model of the American made regulator. The one posted above by an earlier poster is out of stock at Amazon, and this one has a higher flow rate for multiple appliances running at the same time. I got to thinking we have a stove, heater, water heater, refrigerator, and a capitol grille- so we went with the high capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Don't forget to get new hoses too- that is part of the recall (the plastic is leaching oil). I haven't found good ones yet.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:40 AM   #24
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Don't forget to get new hoses too- that is part of the recall (the plastic is leaching oil). I haven't found good ones yet.
I put a pair on from these folks a couple of years ago.

https://www.mbsturgis.com/products/r...eel-overbraid/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #25

Taking my trailer in tomorrow. We haven't heard anything from Jayco, but I confirmed the party and date codes.

We are camping, supposed to be, four weeks in the next six. I'll deal with Jayco after the fact.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #26

Installed our new Marshall Excelsior (Made in USA) regulator and pigtail hoses today. Can't wait around for recall letter, we've got to get on the road! Our original (Chinese) regulator has a recall, and our pigtail hose (Chinese) was leaking. I've been spending increasingly more time searching for American alternatives for just about everything. It's not easy, and not always the cheapest option, but always very rewarding. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 11.37.11 PM.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	73643
Old 07-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Installed our new Marshall Excelsior (Made in USA) regulator and pigtail hoses today. Can't wait around for recall letter, we've got to get on the road! Our original (Chinese) regulator has a recall, and our pigtail hose (Chinese) was leaking. I've been spending increasingly more time searching for American alternatives for just about everything. It's not easy, and not always the cheapest option, but always very rewarding. Attachment 73643
I would keep the receipts. They should reimburse your expenses.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Installed our new Marshall Excelsior (Made in USA) regulator...
Just a data point.

The above regulator and the ME previously mentioned by AKRUEBBE both are sourced from China.

At the Amazon links, if you click on 'see more product details' (or scroll down to it), you will see the following:

Model ‎MEGR-253
Country of Origin ‎China

Model ‎MEGR-253H
Country of Origin ‎China
castolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #29

Yesterday July 21,2021 our Jayflight32BHDS experienced intermittent propane pressure, stove would not light at first but then did lite but went out. Checked the tanks and they were on and no red warning indicator. One tank was light but the other had plenty in it and I switch supply lever to it. Stove still intermittent so I checked the grill outside and it was intermittent. Switched the Norcold refridgerator over to propane and got the green indicator but it didn't sound right, went outside to check and it was louder than usual so I went back in to turn it off and smelled something burning. Turned off fridge and went back outside and pulled the cover from back of fridge and the right side was on fire, wood and sealant burning. Grabbed the fire extinguisher and pointed it up and let loose, it extinguished the lower flames but at the vent on top was still burning. Called 911 and got fire dept on their way, climbed on top and poured water down the burning and melted plastic vent and that extinguished the flames. Fire dept got here and they put more water on it and checked it with a thermo scope and said it was out. Vent on top destroyed, rubber roof melted and awning melted. Found all the recall notices today that Jayco planned to send out Aug 4 2021
LinkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #30

Replaced the Winntec 6020 regulator and Everything is working fine except we have not used the refridge on propane.
LinkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #31

Bad Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkB View Post
Vent on top destroyed, rubber roof melted and awning melted. Found all the recall notices today that Jayco planned to send out Aug 4 2021

THAT is some scary stuff! Hard to believe it takes so long to notify owners of a potentially deadly defect.
I have the wintec 6020 on L/H side of my gen prepped unit and a Cheng Shen 6080 on the R/H side tank. I have never turned the gas on on the left wintec side with double tanks and I don't think I ever will till it's swapped out.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by castolon View Post
Just a data point.
The above regulator and the ME previously mentioned by AKRUEBBE both are sourced from China.
At the Amazon links, if you click on 'see more product details' (or scroll down to it), you will see the following:
Model ‎MEGR-253
Country of Origin ‎China
Model ‎MEGR-253H
Country of Origin ‎China
Well shame on them!!! Take a look at the attached two pages from their 2021 catalog. They make no shame of stating "Made In The USA"!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marshall Excelsior.pdf (1.40 MB, 29 views)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #33

I have not been notified that mine is subject to recall, but it failed badly...so much so that I replaced it alread.

Has anyone processed a claim through Jayco to get reimbursed? Does reimbursement include labor?
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Just a data point.

Model ‎MEGR-253
Country of Origin ‎China

Model ‎MEGR-253H
Country of Origin ‎China
Shocked face. [emoji849]
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Shocked face. [emoji849]
I'm going to call Marshal Excelsior tomorrow and flat out ask them where there regulators are made.........will report tomorrow.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Just a data point.

Model ‎MEGR-253
Country of Origin ‎China

Model ‎MEGR-253H
Country of Origin ‎China
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.46.28 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	73916the
Well, the same Amazon description also has the wrong measurements.

Other sources still say it's made in USA.

I will believe it's Made in America until I see pictures of it being made by children in a dimly-lit Wuhan sweatshop.
Every time I see those Red, White and Blue flames shooting out of the stove burners like a fourth of July fireworks show, I know I've got the real American deal. Murca!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:44 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......Other sources still say it's made in USA......snip
X2

I installed my Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 regulator yesterday and the package it was sealed in states "5 Year Warranty" right above the ""

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:10 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... I ordered the high flow model of the American made regulator......snip
If you purchased the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H (High Flow) model regulator..., I believe it requires (or comparable to) the Marshall Excelsior #MER425H-"X" 1/4" male inverted flare w/red nut (higher rated than standard "green nut" pigtail). May want to confirm with Marshall Excelsior tech support.

Reference Page 14: http://www.varvayanis.com/internet/M...talog_2020.pdf

I spoke with Marshall Excelsior tech support a few days ago on the subject of pigtail lengths, and the difference between the "Green Nut" & 'Red Nut" pigtails came up during our conversation.

I purchased my Marshall Excelsior MER425-15 (15"lg) 1/4" male inverted flare w/green nut pigtails from "Panther RV Products" (for my Marshall MEGR-253 model regulator):

https://pantherrvproducts.com

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 07-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
If you purchased the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H (High Flow) model regulator..., I believe it requires (or comparable to) the Marshall Excelsior #MER425H-"X" 1/4" male inverted flare w/red nut (higher rated than standard "green nut" pigtail). May want to confirm with Marshall Excelsior tech support.

Reference Page 14: http://www.varvayanis.com/internet/M...talog_2020.pdf

I spoke with Marshall Excelsior tech support a few days ago on the subject of pigtail lengths, and the difference between the "Green Nut" & 'Red Nut" pigtails came up during our conversation.

I purchased my Marshall Excelsior MER425-15 (15"lg) 1/4" male inverted flare w/green nut pigtails from "Panther RV Products" (for my Marshall MEGR-253 model regulator):

https://pantherrvproducts.com

Bob
I should have been more specific. I bought the MEGR-253H High Capacity. I also bought 12" Green nut pigtails. The hoses, at least, were stamped "Made in USA" By the way, the regulator was $52 two weeks ago when I bought it on Amazon- It's $80 now.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cincinnati Kid,

When I referenced the two different model (green-nut/red-nut) pigtails in my post, my intent was to express that the "green nut" pigtail hoses aren't compatible with the MEGR-253H High Capacity (flow) regulator...., the "red nut" pigtail hoses are designed to accommodate the higher flow rates.

Found the following video that references the importance of the "red nut" pigtails (@ 2:50) when using a Marshall High Capacity regulator.

Yes, I've also seen a notable increase on the price of LP regulators in the last week as well...., I have to believe there will be a shortage of inventory soon.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS