Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #61

Luckily, my older White Hawk is not in the recall. Doing a quick Google search shows eTrailer.com has a few!

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...+Propane+Tanks

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #62

A Good Regulator - Available on Amazon Now

I have a JayFeather X213.

My regulator failed (miserably) while my rig was in the field at a NFS campground. Fortunately, there is a "camp host" at this campground, so he shut off the valves on the tanks. Unfortunately, the fridge was running on propane and shut down...and the alarm sounded for several days.

I knew something wasn't right when I parked it. The fridge was running more or less continuously, and the flame was fluttering. I heard "hissing" at the regulator as if there was a continuous slow flow of propane through the regulator. The smell of propane was pretty noticable aroung the rig...but it smelled more like poorly burned propane than raw propane. I checked that the furnace, hot water heater and range were working properly (they were), and I had to occupy the site or lose it...so I took a chance.

Based on this, however, as soon as I was setup, I came home, and I ordered a two-tank regulator from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XYH5H6Q...roduct_details
It comes all assembled except for installing the 3/8" NPT to Male Flare adapter that gets harvested from the old regulator.

It was a quick field repair, and installed on about June 24. So far so good.

I got my letter from Thor today, and I'll try to get reimbursed, but the price was very modest. In addition to the regulator, I spent a couple bucks on some propane-compatible teflon tape to make the joint at the fitting. And I used a spare pump spray bottle to make some dish-soap-and-water solution for leak detection.

Bonus for me, my regulator-to-house plumbing connection was very short. I had a hard time mounting my propane tanks and getting the hold-down clamp in place. This regulator is slightly longer, so I have just enough "slack" in the house supply hose to easily install the tank hold-down.

Clearly, the $50 for the regulator is only a fraction of my out-of-pocket costs which include:
  • Replacing food in the freezer and fridge--it was not spoiled, but I had to take it all home with me and consume it ASAP so it would not go to waste. Then, of course, I had to restock the fridge by toting food in coolers;
  • Round trip to and from the NFS campground to perform the repair...fortunately only about 35 miles round trip;
  • My time...if I got plumber's wages to perform this work, it would be valued at about $200 or more. And I've done lots of plumbing, so I'm qualified to earn that rate;
  • The anguish of pulling the rig to a site knowing that something wasn't right and having to come home immediately and place the order for the replacement regulator...and hope the rig would be there, intact, when I returned!!
My point is that I would happily settle on the amount Jayco (and its regulator supplier) will pay dealers to make the swap. $50 doesn't come close to the actual cost.

If you're in search of a regulator, I'm happy with this purchase, and it seems that it should be available soon. Given how generic these things are, and given the trash originally installed, I'd say this one's as good as any.

P.S. I have adapted my Weber grill to run on the Aux port gas supply. This regulator's flow is more than adequate to run the range, hot water heater and gas grill simultaneously...all large loads. This regulator seems to be a perfect replacement.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #63

Just ordered also with the hoses. Expensive, but I like sleeping well.
trockyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Contacted my dealer for regulator recall, first question was, "did you buy this unit from us?", next was "Looking at December for an appointment".
My dealership really puts the DIS in appointment........
Crazy. I am so thankful I have a great relationship with my dealer (who I actually didn't buy the trailer from). When I was headed out camping at the beginning of July, they squeezed me in last minute, made the change and had the trailer ready the next day to get us on the road in time. Then they told me to hang on to the receipt to make my claim when I got the letter. BTW, the original regulator and hoses failed the pressure test they did before installing the new one.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #65

Does anyone know of a mobile service in CT that can come out and take care of the recall? My trailer is not tow-able.
ralphjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #66

propane regulator

I got my recall 8/9/21. Mine was bleeding gas from the vent. I have my receipt. Jayco wants a picture of the regulator I change last month or the regulator. Why in the hell would I take a picture or save broke regulator? BBB in Indianan will get a letter. Thank God my trailer didn't catch fire.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #67

You should file that as a complaint to the NHSTA, and let Jayco know you did.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #68

Doing it yourself could cause warranty issues since the recall states: , Dealers
will be required to perform industry standard LP System validation.
Requirements include leak detection, timed pressure drop test and a
regulator lock out test.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #69

I changed mine out in January of this year. Also leaking at the vent. I would I have known there would be a recall. Doing the right thing for safety purposes puts you out in the cold???
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #70

Contacted our dealer today, they took my info over the phone. In less than an hour I received an email asking me to send a photo of the date code so they could order the replacement and I would only have to make one trip to the shop to have it replaced. I sent the photos I already had a few minutes ago so no ETA on the parts yet. I'm also on the waiting list for the stovetop saddle valve recall.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Let us know what the delivery time is.
The regulator just shipped. I need to find out if the red handle is interchangeable with the green handle.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #72

At this point, I can say unequivocally, Jayco sucks.
I had to do an emergency field repair, and not only will they not compensate for the costs of doing this, they will not reimburse the cost of the regulator...
UNLESS I BRING THE RIG TO A JAYCO DEALER TO CERTIFY THE WORK.
The cost of dragging the rig to a Jayco certified repair shop will exceed the value of the regulator!

Never again, Jayco!!
Old 08-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison View Post
Contacted our dealer today, they took my info over the phone. In less than an hour I received an email asking me to send a photo of the date code so they could order the replacement and I would only have to make one trip to the shop to have it replaced. I sent the photos I already had a few minutes ago so no ETA on the parts yet. I'm also on the waiting list for the stovetop saddle valve recall.
So what do you do in the meantime?
Old 08-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I changed mine out in January of this year. Also leaking at the vent. I would I have known there would be a recall. Doing the right thing for safety purposes puts you out in the cold???
Apparently so. See my post. No reimbursement unless I take it to a dealer even though the work is done. Taking it to a dealer will cost far more in fuel, mileage, time and trouble than the regulator is worth.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Apparently so. See my post. No reimbursement unless I take it to a dealer even though the work is done. Taking it to a dealer will cost far more in fuel, mileage, time and trouble than the regulator is worth.
They think they are saving you from the ludicrous, $180 an hour cost to install it... Fifteen minutes, for anyone with some common tools and sense.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #76

i got my letter friday right before I went to camp, i will call albany RV this week to see how they can disappoint me again
kwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #77

Got my letter as well. Although I was sure mine didn’t apply based on the date code, I called the local dealer where we bought it. The service person said to email her the VIN and picture of the regulator, showing the date. I did and she responded within five minutes, affirming it’s not recalled, but will submit it to clear us from the recall. Great service and another reason I’m glad I bought from my local dealer.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Let us know what the delivery time is.
The high pressure regulator came today. I need to find out if it's interchangeable with the green handles or I'm selling it. It's just the regulator, no hoses.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:01 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
So what do you do in the meantime?
I already sprayed the stove top saddle valves with soapy water, no leaks there yet. I'll check everything before our trip next week, it's just a 3 day trip. The only reason I'll need to turn on the propane is hot water for showers. I'll keep an eye on it while it heats up. As hot as our water gets and the fact that our temps are in the 90's we won't need much hot water.

Edit:
The place we're going is only an hour drive, shouldn't need to run the fridge while on road and we have an electric site at the state park.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #80

My Jayco has a model 6000, not the 6020 that is in the recall. But it is in date code range.

Any thoughts?
danr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote