Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Wheel bearing grease

What is the best grease to use on a 2018 jayco jay flight 32 ft
Yojoe2141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #2

Grease

I use Lucus Oil "Red 'N' Tacky Grease Been using it for years never had a Problem
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

The best grease out there hands down is the one that didnt fail to keep your stuff lubricated and leave you stranded on the side of the road.
I myself use Amsoil products. I also use Lucas products. Pretty much any big name brand product out there is good. Even the junk stuff out there will work as long as you use it a lot. Lol!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

Here is the Dexter axle recommended list. I got the Valvoline GM grease. Will NOT get it again. It separates so badly that it leaves a pool of red liquid in the container I store it in. That makes me think it will be more likely to leak past the seals and mess up my brakes.

I'll probably go with Red n Tacky next time. It's not on the list, but so many people swear by it, and it meets the specifications, so I'll take a chance

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.10.47 PM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	72636
Old 06-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Here is the Dexter axle recommended list. I got the Valvoline GM grease. Will NOT get it again. It separates so badly that it leaves a pool of red liquid in the container I store it in. That makes me think it will be more likely to leak past the seals and mess up my brakes.

I'll probably go with Red n Tacky next time. It's not on the list, but so many people swear by it, and it meets the specifications, so I'll take a chance

Attachment 72636
My grease isn't on that list, but I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic grease for years. Pulled the trailer several thousand mile with the Mobil 1 grease I packed the bearings with after each servicing for 2 or 3 years, and never pumped more into the EZ-lube fitting. That small amount of grease was still clean and red at each of my leisurely-paced bearing service intervals.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
My grease isn't on that list, but I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic grease for years. Pulled the trailer several thousand mile with the Mobil 1 grease I packed the bearings with after each servicing for 2 or 3 years, and never pumped more into the EZ-lube fitting. That small amount of grease was . clean and red at each of my leisurely-paced bearing service intervals.
Thanks- I was going to add- I will never use EZ-lube again. It's just begging for a rear seal failure.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Thanks- I was going to add- I will never use EZ-lube again. It's just begging for a rear seal failure.
I agree wholeheartedly CincKid. There's no reason to fill the entire hub space around the spindle with grease. Keep things clean when servicing the hubs, use quality grease when packing the bearings and no more grease is necessary.

How often do car and truck wheel bearings need to be serviced?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #8

I like the Lucas HD Green grease over the Red N Tacky. I have tried both.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #9

FYI, not every grease type is compatible with another grease type, and there are many types. You can avoid issues if you don't know what type grease you currently have by completely cleaning out the old grease when repacking your bearings, and then always use the same type of grease moving forward and you won't have to worry about incompatibility.

For example check out this chart and the lubrimatic "calcium sulfonate" type grease shown and then in the chart you will see that grease is compatible with 4 other types and not compatible with 7 other types.

Personally, I like the Lucas Red n Tacky as others have mentioned and it is compatible with a wide range of other greases, however on my trailers, the first wheel bearing grease repack for each trailer has always been to completely clean out whatever grease was already there from the factory and then pack the bearings with new grease. That way I don't have to worry what is\was already there and if it is compatible or not.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-47394.html

~Craig
Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

From the originators of tapered bearings https://www.amazon.com/Timken-GR224T...a-494189488268
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote