Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

08 Melbourne 31B,

Lost electricity at TV in living room area, think it might be GFI but can't find one that controls that. Any help would be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
Lost electricity at TV in living room area, think it might be GFI but can't find one that controls that. Any help would be grateful.

There are three things that come to mind but certainly more if these three don't solve it.

First, it sounds like you're familiar with the idea that a GFI may control more than one duplex outlet (I'll refer to then as just outlets from here out), so if your hunt has not shown that all the GFIs are properly set then my second thought would be a breaker in the service panel that controls that branch circuit.

The problem with that thinking though is if other outlets on that same branch circuit work, I would think that this would then isolate it down to the outlet itself. Knowing how some of those trailers are constructed, and I don't know the age of yours, the outlet itself or the wires coming to the outlet box connecting to the outlet have become loose or disconnected.

A common practice is to push wires into the back of the outlet, where designed to, rather than pigtail the end of the wire and secure it to the outlet with the side screw. If you end up replacing the outlet, go the pigtail route.

Other possibilities are a bad outlet (replace it), a bad TV (try plugging a different appliance in it to see if it works), a bad connection in the wiring prior to the outlet where the TV plugs in (hmmmmm... that's more involved)...

I hope this offers some direction.

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

I wasn't paying attention but I see you have a 2008 for a model year. What I had said earlier would still apply though.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

I thank you for reply, I've tripped all breakers and GFI that I've found and tested most fuses to make sure they're working. Also, there is two separate outlets in TV control area which I would find hard to believe had gone bad at same time. It makes me think another GFI switch is the problem but where is it? I can't find but one that's in the bathroom. Seems that a GFI should be easy to locate. Just don't know????

Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

I have a 08 Greyhawk, mine has a GFI on the left as you enter the door. Do you have an outlet anywhere in this area??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I have a 08 Greyhawk, mine has a GFI on the left as you enter the door. Do you have an outlet anywhere in this area??

I do, it's working ok, also it's not a GFI only slave to one in bathroom. I also discovered radio outside isn't working. Can radio be in same circuit as TV. Radio should be 12v where as TV is 110. Crazy

Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #7

Have you tried resetting the inverter?

It's under the bed - you will need something like a coat hanger to reset it.

I a sure that some of the accessories on the Melbourne differ from rig to rig, but we also have an '08 Melbourne and have to reset that thing occasionally.

Tony
tonynasr is offline   Reply With Quote