Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

13" Tire Options??

I need to install new tires on to my HTT. The tires are 180/80r/13. Very small, options are minimal. I have the original TowMax tires on it. When it went into storage last fall they were beginning to weather check all over the sidewalls, I would guess I have well over 15K miles on them.

If I stay with the same load range (1480 lbs), I can use GY- Marathons, Maxis, TowMax, Carlisle and a variety of lesser known tires. Ideally I would like to go up a load range level, which is difficult to do, because the tire size. This leaves me with going with a Bias tire (Carlisle Sport Trail 1710lbs), supposedly Carlisle’s new Radial Trail RH tire has a 13” that is a load range D, but I cannot find any online documents on it, but Discount Tire says they can get the tire. They say it’s only been on the market for a few months, which would guarantee a fresh tire.

The HTT tows very nicely, but I would like to have a bit more of factor of safety. The stock tires have a carry capacity (dual axle 1280#). I have never weighed my HTT, but if we just say worst case it weighs 5K# (for easy numbers), with a 12% tongue weight (to calculate max tire weight), this would put load of 1100 pounds on each tire, so I have about 180+ pounds to spare. In my option that is not a lot. The Bias Carlisle Sport Trail (dual axle 1480#) would give me about 380 pounds.

Radial or bias ply tires? From Trailer Tire Basics | West Marine
Radial tires have plies that run perpendicularly across the tire and belts (often made of steel) running below the tread around the tire’s circumference. Bias ply tires have their plies running at 30° angles (like the stripes on a candy cane). Most motorists believe radials are better (and they are for your auto). Should you buy them for your trailer?
The answer depends on your trailer’s handling. Bias ply tires have stiffer sidewalls, so if your rig tends to sway, they may help reduce this problem. They also have advantages for carrying heavy loads. Radials, as most of us know, are vastly superior for tread wear. They’ll last an average of 40,000 miles vs. 12,000 for bias plies. However, oxidation, not tread wear, wears out trailer tires. Radial tires are also less prone to developing flat spots on one side when they are parked in the same position for weeks at a time, and tend to run cooler on long trips. Bottom line: consider your trailer’s handling and the manufacturer’s recommended tire type. If you travel long distances and/or put lots of miles on your tires every year, radials are worth the extra cost.

I have spoken with three local tire shops, two big national chain stores and one local M&P shop. The national chain stores need 3-5 days to get whatever trailer tire I need that they carry to the shop. The M&P, stated they could any tire I pick the same or next day. Maxis and Marathons are the same to me. Installed they are about twice the price of Tow Max and I have no desire to go with them.

One item for or me I want to be able to get a replacement tire while on the road. If this new Carlisle is a LRD, how hard would it be to get one quickly??

What are your thoughts for new tread? Also what’s your thought on changing the spare too?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Having owned 2 HTTs with the same size 13 inch tires, I would say that the only benefit of going up a load range is for your personal "feel good". In 13 years of owning trailers with this size and load range of tire we have never had one single tire issue. Just keep the pressure at max, never exceed 65 mph, and never overload them.

Our first hybrid was a single axle '03 Kiwi 17a. We towed it on a 6k mile trip from Milwaukee to Monterrey, CA during our 3rd season with it on the original tires. The following year we took a 3k mile trip to Yellowstone on the same tires. Several trips to Cedar Point also on the original tires, as well as dozens of in state trips. Over 10 years we had 3 sets of tires, put the last set on 1 month before we traded it. Only changed the tires because of age.

Our X20E has the original Tow Max on it. We'll be starting our 4th summer with it. Last fall we took it to Gatlinburg, 1400k miles round trip for us.

I would not necessarily change out the spare right away, but I also wouldn't use the same spare too much longer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

As you said going up a tire size is more of a piece of mind.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

Ordered five new tires! Carlisle Trail RD (185/80R13), they are new to the Carlisle brand. I understand they have only been on the market a few months, so I should get new tires. They are a radial load range D (1710 lbs/tire), 65 psi tire per Jayco no issues with the rim rating, ½” larger diameter speed rating N (87 mph). I ordered them for peace of mind. The Tow Max have worked for me, with no issues, but I’m always wondering when I’ll be roadside with an issue.

I try to keep my speed to about 60 mph, but it has been known to creep up once in a while. I have no plans to drive faster. The stiffer sidewall should improve sway control which has only been an issue once or twice when the tire pressure was low. Can’t wait to get them on before the first trip of the season.

The only bad thing I have determined is I have not been able to find much out about them. Carlisle does not even have them on their website yet

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

What did you pay for them and where did you order them from? I'm not due for tires yet but if they are not much more than the standard load range I'd be interested in checking them out. I'd still keep my speed down too. I like have a bit more reaction time if something is going on ahead of me.

No trouble with my TowMax either. The problems people have are with the 15" and 16" tires.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Bought them from Discount Tire, $91 each. They were $5 more than the load range C tires.

They did not have them instock.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #7

Had the new treads installed this morning. They look pretty good. I only have about 1.5 miles on them, so no knowledge of how they will handle yet. I had them balanced; two did not need any weights, one needed a 1/2 once, and two needed 1/4 ounce. The shop did not have any 1/4 ounce weights that fit my rims.

I did have to have the tech go back and add an additional 20 pounds of air to the tires. He only filled them to 45 psi.

I have life time balancing and rotation. They recommended having them balanced and rotated about once a year, with the miles I put on. He said if my tire scrubbing is excessive, come in more often and they will rotate them.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #8

Just a quick follow-up. Put 200 miles on the new tires over the weekend. They preformed fabulously. On the way up north, I accidently pulled with a full FW tank. which I fully suspect put me over GVW, never even noticed it.

With the old tires I rarely ever felt I was being pushed around. Only Greyhound style busses and the large frontal area semi trucks would give me a little wiggle. I never noticed it once over the weekend.

2012 Jayco X23B