Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

154BH Roof Maintenance/Vent replacements?

I'm looking at doing some other maintenance/modifications, prior to cutting up the soft bathroom floor as mentioned in my other recent thread. It's past due, and I want to eliminate any other possible causes of water intrusion.

2013 model TT, that has spent it's life living outdoors. (Western WA... keep washing it trying to keep the moss at bay ) I haven't noticed any leaks, but I got to wondering how much life is left in that roof membrane. How long do those roof membranes usually last?

At the very least I want to replace the two roof vents, as they're about as flimsy as can be, and the one over the bathroom likes to work it's way up/open as you drive down the road. (it was down, but loose yesterday, as I was investigating the soft floor ) A fan option for the bathroom would be great too. What's my best options for replacements? Best tapes/sealers to use? I'm currently digging through the forum for some of that info.... but figured I'd be lazy and just ASK.

I noticed the domed window over the shower is looking rather yellow, though shows no signs of leaks or damage. If I'm up there opening things up/resealing, should I just replace that too? Best replacement option there?

I'm gonna go around and reseal just about everything poking through the top/sides, so recommendations for sealants there would be appreciated too.

Poor little trailer. We haven't gotten to use it enough, but if I'm gonna go to work on it, I'm gonna go to WORK on it. Pic for attention.
Attached Thumbnails
154BH.jpg  
Old 08-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Ok... a couple hours of reading later, I'm looking at Dicor products for resealing penetrations in the roof, and probably some butyl tape to go with roof vent replacement. Looks like the Dometic Fan-Tastic lines, and the Maxxair systems are the most popular. Bathroom needs a fan, and I wanna replace the other roof vent too. Probably gonna go with one of the vent covers to go over them as well. Now I just have to decide on the model......

Seems some folks like Quad sealants for the sides, or should I stick with the Dicor non-leveling? I've used Quad on the house, and it seemed like a good product, but the TT wiggles more than a house.

Barring any good advice to the contrary, I guess I'll leave the roof membrane for a few more years, and get some eteranbond tape to keep handy, should it get damaged and need a quick repair.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

My preference is to use the Dicor self-leveling sealants for the roof fixtures and the no-sag sealant for anything on the sides such as around running lights, windows, etc. I use some blue painters tape when using the no-sag sealant to help keep a nice smooth transition.

Since you are going to pull the existing vents it makes sense to replace with the powered units such as the Fantastic. I would consider using eternabond around the new vents and then finish off the eternabond seams with some Dicor self-leveling sealant. I installed Heng's Vortex II fans into my existing vents to avoid doing anything on the roof. I pulled power from nearby lights for those.

I have original MaxxAir vent covers over both my vents. I would probably look at the MaxxAir II covers at this point as I think they have better air flow than the originals.

I see you aren't too far from me - let's hope the weather holds for the roof work. We had some rain off and on this w/e but it looks like sun is coming back for awhile this week...
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
My preference is to use the Dicor self-leveling sealants for the roof fixtures and the no-sag sealant for anything on the sides such as around running lights, windows, etc. I use some blue painters tape when using the no-sag sealant to help keep a nice smooth transition.

Since you are going to pull the existing vents it makes sense to replace with the powered units such as the Fantastic. I would consider using eternabond around the new vents and then finish off the eternabond seams with some Dicor self-leveling sealant. I installed Heng's Vortex II fans into my existing vents to avoid doing anything on the roof. I pulled power from nearby lights for those.

I have original MaxxAir vent covers over both my vents. I would probably look at the MaxxAir II covers at this point as I think they have better air flow than the originals.

I see you aren't too far from me - let's hope the weather holds for the roof work. We had some rain off and on this w/e but it looks like sun is coming back for awhile this week...

Yeah, the flimsy factory vents just need to disappear, so I figured I may as well upgrade. No locking feature on them, and they like to work their way up as it goes down the road. I can close them tight, but a few miles on the road, and at least one will be wide open. Apparently a little wind has the same effect, even when parked.

Our recent weather was kind of my inspiration. Been hot and dry for so long, but we both know the rains are coming. Bad enough that I already have a damaged floor to repair, I don't want to chance any water coming from those cheap vents this winter.

OK.... off to see how many different Dicor sealants there are.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

I've been using the following Dicor product #'s:

No-Sag: 551LSW
Self-leveling: 505LSW

These are the ones that my dealer recommended so I've stuck with them.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I've been using the following Dicor product #'s:

No-Sag: 551LSW
Self-leveling: 505LSW

These are the ones that my dealer recommended so I've stuck with them.

551 was simple enough, so I can reseal the running lights, windows, etc. etc.

Ended up ordering some 502 vs the 505 though. Looks like the 502 is their generic/commercial application stuff? Basically the same as the 501? https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...manufacturers/ Looks like the 505 is the more Eco-friendly version? Years and years of repairing damage from "better/safer" chemical treatments on helicopters has taught me the old stuff may be bad for the environment, but its GOOD for the airframe.

Found it on Amazon for a reasonable price, so we'll see. While I was at it I ordered some Eternabond tape, and some butyl tape, just for good measure.

Now I just have to figure out what vents I'm gonna go with, and decide if I wanna mess with the skylight in the shower. Oh... an tear out the bathroom floor, but thats another thread.