Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

165 Bathroom Soft Spot

Bought my 165 used it has the tiny bathroom, felt a slight soft spot in the bathroom floor when I bought it I didn't think it was an issue just a worn place due to the small size area as its the only place you can step. After a long weekend camping we had some issues with water in the floor after showering but I'm almost sure it was just condensation from the curtain running down the wall. You can remove the access cover and its dusty dry under the tub I did this with the water standing in the floor. I don't believe anything is leaking under the tub. My next thought is maybe the toilet flange seal is leaking? The linoleum appears to be laid down when the camper was built so the only place water could seep to the wood would be the toilet flange? Should I remove the toilet to inspect and what sort of seals or advice can you guys give on me doing that? Could it just be a worn spot in the wood am I over reacting? If you stand in front of the toilet to use it it's exactly where your left foot lands, which is also right where you naturally step to get in the shower.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #2

Pretty sure my leak was coming from the curtain where this missing caulk is.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

Two thoughts.
There is a water line that runs along the wall behind the toilet. Could that be damaged?
I would also check the roof for a possible leak point. Water can rake some scenics routes from the leak point to the visible damage point.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

The floor is going to flex when you step in between the frame rails. My trailer is brand new and there are spots that seem soft but it is just the plywood flexing. I wouldn't get to concerned about it unless you are positive it is rotten.

Do you have an enclosed underbelly?....what does it look like underneath?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #5

I think it may just be give in the floor. It is next to the toilet where the hole is cut and no bracing. I can't see underneath due to the black tank. I thought maybe removing the toilet would allow me to see the wood. Is there anyway the flange could be leaking like a home toilet will? The water line in the back is dusty dry. The camper has always been garage kept it is a 2006 and the previous owner only used the shower 1 time.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Maybe I need some of those shower splash guards do they work? Seems like the shower steam cant escape because the curtain goes all the way to the ceiling. It runs down the walls and I guess if it's not level it runs over the side.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Why don't you just remove the toilet and look?

Of course toilet flanges can (and do) leak. When you take your house down to road at 60mph things are going to loosen over time. Yanking the toilet, peeling back the lino to have a peek is about an hour of your time, but will result in a lifetime of peace of mind.

Soft spots are never a good sign. Common sense will tell you if this is a "normal" wear, or if it is a acute problem. Plywood doesn't ever create a circular-feeling soft spot over time due to use. Neither does Luan.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

2008 Jayco 17c Ex-port hybrid purchase Sept 2009. 240 nights, 38 states. I have very soft spots in my floor sufficient to crack linoleum. I find lightweight camper floor construction is styrofoam sandwiched between glued thin wood (luan) without floor joists. I'm considering repair and junking options. Suggest you see dealer if under warranty. If not, consider trading camper for an aluminum and stick built frame.

When I cut out linoleum I expect to find I have a leak, but I cannot find it from outside the camper and I do not find I have plumbing leaks.
Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 AM   #9

What was the outcome on this? I have a 165 and would like to know. Thank you.
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

I'm gathering information and have not begun. I'm speaking with a guy with similar problem a year ago and getting very negative comments about it being worth the effort. If I had to decide today I'd sell the camper for residual and put repair effort into researching a replacement camper. The hold back doing that is we really like our camper and the features it has we cannot replace.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

Feel the same way about our JayFeather 22'6". Just going to keep going until one of us notices a new 'viewing port' to the underbelly.
Have a pice of 1/4 inch GIS ply to put down in bathroom as overlay that may buy some time. JMHO, stuff happens.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #12

Is yours soft and weak from getting wet? Is there moisture?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 AM   #13

As was mentioned earlier, just because the problem is in the bathroom area that doesn't mean the wet is related to plumbing. Water can follow to odd places.

Carefully check the roof, any penetrations on the outside walls, etc. The water gets in and gravity takes it down to the floor. Running lights and marker lights are notorious for leaking as time takes its toll on the OEM sealing method.

Good hunting. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #14

Yes, Yes, Yes! The talk of floating a floor has flooded over the essential comments about stopping water. Thanks for the reminder.

This gets to the guy who used to work at the camper store, Terrell Camping Center, and now works about 3 miles from me. He is willing to come over and inspect the camper and give guidance on finding and stoping leaks.

My plan is to gather information and make a plan, which is completed thanks to this thread, then call Jayco factory to see what, if any, information or help they may be. I'll probably make that call today. Then I rough cut out the OEM linoleum to reveal and trace water as best I can. This is a hybrid camper with first generation stateroom seals plus it has the normal gathering of pass throughs in ceiling and walls plus I've been routine on the roof treating it and I am not petite.

After that we call in the experienced camper guy and inspect and do what he says about leaks and develop an ongoing inspection and fixing program. When we have leaks sealed, we do the floor.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #15

This may not apply, but worth checking. On my 23b I found that there was water leaking in the area of the wheel wells. The factory did what I feel was a poor job of fit and finish on the wheel arches. I suspect partly because after the plastic arch trim was installed it was all hidden.

Anyway, there were gaps between the wall and wheel arch which let water in to travel mostly to the rear sections of the trailer floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rader View Post
... When we have leaks sealed, we do the floor.
I've noticed you commented in other threads about a generally soft floor.

Not that you asked...
Ignoring what sounds pretty bad for you in the bathroom...
Is the trailer basically solid other than soft spots developed in the traffic areas? If yes, have you considered just adding a layer of 1/4" luan and new vinyl just in the traffic areas? Another possibility might be the snap together laminate flooring. It is a bit heavier and more expensive than luan and vinyl, but might be an easier install overall. Cardboard templates are your friend for repairs.

I bought a trailer that had a bunch of water damage. Contrary to some advice I patched and repaired rather than replacing flooring, etc. The repaired trailer is working great for us.

My wife and I installed new vinyl in the living area only. We didn't worry about the vinyl under cabinets, under the J steel sofa, etc. We just bought a closeout remnant and basically fit and stapled it down around the edges. A few places I used 1/4 round to dress off. Others I just left because the fit was good enough for us.

You are in the same boat as we are. Your trailer is only worth so much for sale or trade so new floors and expense probably don't make sense. BUT... maybe with a bit of relatively minor repair you can get many years of use out of it.

Some info about my repairs can be found here. There are probably other threads too, but I don't recall them.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ort-12743.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post128642

Here's to good repairs for you too. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #16

Try to find a certified home inspector and for a small fee have him test with a meter. Home depot and other builders supply sell a inexpensive meter for home use, 20 to 50 dollars. This could help you make the decision of what to do. If the floor was cut for the toilet and a header was not added which I doubt then the floor will be weak. good luck with your problem.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #17

Thanks. What I'm picking up is vinyl is not a good thing because it can seal in moisture so use it where needed, not everywhere like under cabinets. Let water wick.

The moisture meter thingy I think the contractor I'll use has.

I'd considered snap together flooring and will talk with contractor about that.

Thanks for the links!