Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2020, 06:34 AM   #1

1st trip with new trailer, first SPUT

I've been towing campers for a long time and this is the first time I ever hit anything. In the campground there is a right turn to get to where my spot is and I knew that going in. My rear corner just clipped someones truck when I was making the turn. I was so annoyed. Both at myself and for the person having their truck parked right at the road edge. Not going to let it ruin my weekend. Some butyl tape and a new corner molding and I should be good to go

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200626_173912_01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	60511
wraenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #2

That stinks. Sorry to hear. I almost clipped a sign in the same manner making a right turn at a campground. I luckily was watching my passenger side mirror and was able to stop just before impact and had to back up and swing a little wider.

Yours doesn’t look too bad. Hope u enjoy your trip!
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #3

Thanks. I guess it was bound to happen sometimes. Guy actually said someone hit his truck in the same manner 2 weeks prior. I had to bite my teeth to say something about having his truck right on the road line. He will send me the estimate to fix his truck and then I can decide whether to go through insurance or not
Old 06-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #4

Thaf would really irritated me.

I hope the other person learned a lesson about parking respectfully.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #5

I hope so too but in talking with him it doesn't appear that way and his truck is still in the same spot[emoji16]
Old 06-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Team

Don't fret! I clipped a stop sign last year doing the same thing. Those signs look further away in the rear view mirror.

It buffed out, no word from the hwy dept on the stop sign!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Site Team

I'm starting to believe that there are only two categories of people that tow regularly or drive commercially, those that have hit something and those that will......LOL

Seriously, we've all been there at some point. Don't worry about it and enjoy your weekend.

I've had two notable ones over the years. Approx 20 years ago, I was driving a fire engine, slid on some ice, and ran over the back of a car that had been involved in an accident that I was responding to. I didn't hit it hard since I was moving slowly. But, it was enough to rip the rear bumper and tail lights of of a Pontiac Grand Am that was already hit in the front.

The second one was 2 years ago in Ft. Wilderness in Florida. For those that have been there, you know that some of those loops are rather tight in spots, especially when you have people parked across from your site. My wife had stopped at the entrance to pick up the golf cart. So, one of my daughters was spotting for me instead. I'm backing in blind side and waiting for her to give me some feedback. Suddenly she yells out "watch that tree". I said "what tree?". Her response....."the one you just hit"........LOL

I hope these examples of my mistakes make you feel a little better.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I'm starting to believe that there are only two categories of people that tow regularly or drive commercially, those that have hit something and those that will......LOL.
Yup.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:34 AM   #9

Less than two days after reading this post, I came this close to clipping the front quarter panel of a truck parked next to the road. Looked in the rear view mirror just in the nick of time.

Bought our first Travel Trailer at age 51. Shouldn't have waited so long!
Jose&Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #10

That really irritates me when people park that way and then something happens but it wasn't there fault in any way!On our last camping trip tried to back in our site an couldn't make the turn because of a car parked right across from our drive to the site. Went over and ask them if they could move it for just a few mins till I get backed in. You would have thought I was making them pack up and leave! They stood and watched and parked there car within seconds of me clearing the area. The funny part was when the park ranger can around a hour later and told them it can't be parked there and would have to move it to the over flow area if they couldn't park it on there site. They move it but didn't like it. Later in the week I talked to the ranger and he told me he had to make them move there car-2 trucks and boat trailer off other sites where they were parking them before we got there and to hush there barking dog.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #11

there are allot of a&**(les in the world no doubt... and most of them think they are entitled.. good news is once we get rid of the cops we can all be like that... won't that be special....
sorry to hear your troubles... but now you know i guess... to go wider than wide...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

The truck owner might have been new to camping. Last week I had to ask the owner of a truck across from my campsite to move his truck so I had enough room to back my trailer into the site. They were accommodating and realized that where their truck was parked (right on the edge of the road) left very little margin for error for me to get my trailer backed into my site without hitting their truck. I've found most people are willing to go out of their way to make getting into a site as easy as possible for others.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #13
Site Team

I too am sorry that happened to your new camper. It does look like it'll be easily repairable, and just become a memory.

Another true story. A few years ago, a good friend bought his very first camper. He went a little overboard, and was excited to have scored a 34' trailer. He had never towed anything in his life. The very first time out, he planned a route through his city so he only had to make one right hand turn. At that particular corner, 10 minutes from his house, was a telephone pole. He almost did everything right. Waited for all the traffic to clear so he could pull way out, but he turned his truck back in way too soon. At that point the trailer axles were still next to the pole, and pivoted. The electric awning, steps, hand rail, marker lamp, lower trim panel, and lower door hinge were all damaged or destroyed. He wasn't even vary upset at himself, like I would have been. We met up with him at the campground, and did what we had to do, to get it useable. He still has that trailer, and last weekend, I patched up three holes he punched in the rear, when he backed a little too close to a tree that had low branches. No, he's not cursed, or even bad at maneuvering his trailer any more. Sometimes, things just happen.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:32 AM   #14

Wow, sorry see that..... that would ruin my trip!!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:41 AM   #15

Thanks for the stories guys. Makes me feel better. Lol. I'm over it but always irritating. I always see it happen to others while in campgrounds and always rush to help out. You're all right. **** just happens sometimes!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #16

Yep, welcome to the club. First time I pulled out my tt my back end clipped a boat next to me. Luckily it was a storage yard and the boat was in such bad shape I couldn't even find where I clipped it. Then, backing in months later I stopped 1/2" away from clipping it again. This was after getting in and out of the van 5 times. Whoops!
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #17

During an extremely heavy rain I switched the slider hitch on my old Montana to the drive position. Locked the fiver brakes and backed up hoping to hear it lock. So we drove slowly to a gas station to get under the roof to check it. While making the turn I couldn't see the driver's side of the fiver through the rain. It hit the pipe protecting the gas pump taking out both basements doors. $4000 later it was fixed on my dime.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #18

When traveling I allways think to myself,,Lord Please help me I am surrounded by Dummies...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraenking View Post
I've been towing campers for a long time and this is the first time I ever hit anything. In the campground there is a right turn to get to where my spot is and I knew that going in. My rear corner just clipped someones truck when I was making the turn. I was so annoyed. Both at myself and for the person having their truck parked right at the road edge. Not going to let it ruin my weekend. Some butyl tape and a new corner molding and I should be good to go

Attachment 60511
I did the same thing only not as bad. Just barely touched the guys bumper he was also parked over the line. Cost me $1800 I couldn’t even see any damage to his truck. Any more and I will ask them to please move there truck. Lessons learned
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #20

Agreed on all points.

Waiting to get the trim piece I need. And just hear the guys truck is only going to be around a grand. So not too bad