Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

2005 Jayco Jay flight- Power Converter help

Our 2005 Jay flight travel trailer got hit by lightning and fried our power converter.
Trying to find a replacement has been impossible so far since there is no part number/ model number or serial number on the converter for anyone to help.
The converter is mounted to the back of the fuse panel/ breaker box, there is one red wire feeds the fuses and several white wires attached to a ground bar.
Anyone know of this type of setup? Or have this camper model and can give us an idea of what we can useto replace this converter?
Digger1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with something helpful, until then...

WFCO is the OEM converter/charger unit used in recent trailers, but they have a reputation for being poor battery chargers; they maintain batteries just fine, but are slow to charge a low battery. Progressive Dynamics makes a direct replacement with better battery charging properties. That may or may not be important to you.

Hope you get the info you need...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Digger1320,

Welcome to JOF

Sounds like you may have the 30amp IOTA ILC-3045 Load Center (converter/charger) which is only a 2-stage unit......, that's what my "retired" 2005 Eagle TT had. The black front panel would have "IOTA" printed in the upper left corner.

I upgraded my IOTA converter/charger with a Progressive Dynamics #PD 9245 (3-stage) unit which is a stand alone converter/charger.

I left my IOTA attached to the back of the Load-Center (breaker/fuse center), located the PD within a couple feet of the existing IOTA Load Center, and basically re-routed the wiring (110V & DC) off the IOTA converter/charger over to the new PD 9245. I purchased some additional wiring/connectors, etc., to accommodate the new unit's location from the IOTA Load Center. NOTE: I did this MOD back around 2012.

The following JOF thread link has a couple pics of what a IOTA Load Center looks like (compare with yours):

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...elp-12889.html

IOTA Load Center owners manual (generic):

http://www.bestconverter.com/assets/...LS/ilcmanl.pdf

I recommend that you contact "Best Converter" (1-888-828-1893 or 334-406-0653) and ask for "Randy", he will be able to give you technical/product replacement guidance on how to address your present situation. I spoke with Randy last week in respect to the new Progressive Dynamics unit I purchased from him last month and he addressed all my questions. I installed a new PD converter/charger in my 2018 Jay Flight a couple days ago (removed the poor performing WFCO unit)..., the PD unit works great!

Best Converter: BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

There should be some identifying data somewhere around/on your converter/charger ...., I don't recall where mine was on my 2005 Eagle. You could contact Jayco Service Support (have VIN handy) and ask them...., they should have the info on file.

Hope this helps

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #4

Well my IOTA ILC-3045 Converter just went out on my 2005 Jay Flight. Checked my source of power coming from the camp ground 30 AMP, it was good. Searched on line for “RV no power” found this forum. Read Rustic Eagles post, yes sir I think he knows what he’s taking about. And after removing my load center from under my refrigerator and looking around everything seem to be connected and no wires were exposed. Yep dim lights, went to Amazon and ordered the exact Progressive Dynamics PD-9245 ($190.00) should get here tomorrow 22 May 2019. And I’m gonna call Randy at PD for connectors & wiring etc. and general install info. And if everything goes great will let ya all know, but thank you.
Daveu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #5

Hello Bob,

See my post but thank you for taking the time and posting this HUGE help!
Daveu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

We just purchased a 2004 Jayco Eagle 308FB. This is our first trip out with it and now our batteries are not charging at all. Everything worked but now no lights and no heat. Can’t located the converter to see why it isn’t taking a charge. Someone out there that has gone through this please help.
Louielagwanee is offline   Reply With Quote