Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #1

2006 Jay Flight rotting roof - WHY?!!

Hi all, I'm new here, first post. I have a few questions, pics and comments.

I'm recently retired, revved up about joining my sisters and their hubbies for a trip to Alaska summer of 2022. Only looked for a trailer for a couple of months when I found my "bargain" this past September 2020 - a 2006 Jay Flight - in the Wisconsin northwoods. Seemed like a good idea at the time, the owner told me there had been some roof leaks but they were "repaired by a dealer". Um, no, there isn't a ladder available to look at the roof. I bit, paid cash, hooked up and drove away with my prize.

The trailer is now in my barn in south central Wisconsin where I built scaffolding around the worst portions of the front roof damage and began disassembly. I've been taking pictures and videos, will figure out how to create an album here.

Thanks! Looking forward to my stay!
Old 12-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

Look forward to seeing your roof repair project and photos in preparation for your Alsaska trip!

Feel free to start a new dedicated thread in another JOF sub-forum for enhanced visibility of your TT repair project and photos..., that way it won't get buried in this 'Welcome Mat' sub-forum.

My retired 2005 Eagle required a total roof replacement due to moisture damage..., but the damage also required a new side entry wall and rear wall. Just a heads-up, Jayco did have some moisture intrusion issues with some 2004 thru mid-2007 model TT's ...., fortunately my TT repair was covered under warranty 2 1/2 years after I purchased it new.

Mine only got worse from here.......

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Welcome and enjoy a winter of projects. I look forward to learning from your rebuild
Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #4

Photo album here - I'm baffled by this "moisture intrusion". Obvious holes in the roof are one thing, general rot another!

2006 Jay Flight rotting roof replacement
Old 12-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

On some Jayco TT's during the 2004 thru mid-2007 model years used a TPO material with a fleece backing and any moisture that came in contact with the fleece was 'wicked' everywhere.

During these same model years Jayco incurred a notable increase in service warranty claim repairs due to moisture intrusion at the roof/wall joints where the TPO material was present. My 2005 Eagle fell victim to early moisture damage and incurred an expensive service warranty claim repair:

A compromised front/rear roof metal trim rail, and the roof/wall gutter rails are very common sources for moisture intrusion that can result in roof/wall damage.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

With the degree of damage per your photos, it appears the moisture spent a couple years doing its damage. Was there any signs of moisture damage on the inside walls (stains, dimples, etc.)?

Bob

ps: Nice platform structure to work from.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #7

Thanks for your informative comments Bob! Yes, this TPO is fleece backed. Wicking as the cause of the rot makes total sense. I finished removing the remaining center roof sheathing yesterday, there is varying amounts of rot damage to the entire length on both sides of the trailer. None of the roof sheathing is unaffected. The front and rear termination bars (rails) are definitely compromised to the point of being useless. It’s unlikely the side rails have seen any maintenance in 14 years. I posted updated pics to my album today - Apparently the dealer “fixed” these for the previous owner with prodigious amounts of caulk, keeping with the factory’s entire roof caulking method of “more is better”. I’ll email my contact at Jayco today, he was good about sending me framing and truss drawings but never mentioned known issues.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Yes, there were (are) signs of damage in the interior but very minimal. The ceiling in the front bedroom sags and has ripples but at a glance doesn’t look bad. The previous owner pointed out the 12”x12” ceiling panel had been removed from inside the left front bedroom cabinet when the dealer was looking for the leak(s). He also pointed out that roughly a 12”x12” a piece of the wall had been torn open at the left front lowest corner of the front pass-through storage compartment in their leak search. I Found similar damage to the right front lower corner, cut the bad sections back in each corner another couple inches to the adjoining studs, added new wood to the rotted corners and replaced the wall paneling with 1/8” dairy board. I repaired similar damage to the lowest corner under the rear bunk in that storage compartment. There are a few very small ripples in the ceiling at the same corner. Other than that, no obvious interior damage. I believe the trailer has seen very little actual use. When I removed the A/C unit and inspected it I expected to see filthy coils. They’re virtually spotless, like the thing hasn’t been run much. When we used the trailer the A/C worked great.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appears you may have to replace a ceiling panel, which isn't a surprise with the degree of roof damage.

Looking at your roof/front cap photo, I'm wondering how far down the the front wall (cap) was effect by moisture (?). One 'plus' with an aluminum sided wall is the ability to inspect for wood frame damage by removing a section of the siding. Hopefully your side and rear wall wood framing remains unaffected.

My Eagle had fiberglass walls with the entry side wall and rear wall starting to delaminate so they had to be removed/replaced. Also, the moisture worked it's way around my entry door frame down to the floor. The vinyl floor had to be replaced but the plywood base was ok.

The TT was approx. 3 years old when Jayco started removing my roof and found the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoJake06 View Post
snip..... no obvious interior damage. I believe the trailer has seen very little actual use. When I removed the A/C unit and inspected it I expected to see filthy coils. They’re virtually spotless, like the thing hasn’t been run much. When we used the trailer the A/C worked great.
Great to hear that the interior is intact, I half expected the upper walls to be showing signs of moisture damage with the degree of roof damage.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Appears you may have to replace a ceiling panel, which isn't a surprise with the degree of roof damage.

Looking at your roof/front cap photo, I'm wondering how far down the the front wall (cap) was effect by moisture (?). One 'plus' with an aluminum sided wall is the ability to inspect for wood frame damage by removing a section of the siding. Hopefully your side and rear wall wood framing remains unaffected.

My Eagle had fiberglass walls with the entry side wall and rear wall starting to delaminate so they had to be removed/replaced. Also, the moisture worked it's way around my entry door frame down to the floor. The vinyl floor had to be replaced but the plywood base was ok.

The TT was approx. 3 years old when Jayco started removing my roof and found the following:

Great to hear that the interior is intact, I half expected the upper walls to be showing signs of moisture damage with the degree of roof damage.

Bob

Yep, I'll have to replace a ceiling panel! Opened up the walls front and rear, the framing looks OK, what's not OK is repairable. I added some pics. Jeez, that Eagle you had was a bummer, huh? Interesting that you didn't lose faith in Jayco! I sent them some pics, will press them with the info you gave me on the wicking problem. Thanks again!!!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #11

It looks like you are going to make it better than Jayco ever dreamed of. There is a lot to be said for taking the time to do things right!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #12

Holy Crap!
That's some winter project. Really a shame that you got such a raw deal.
Thanking my lucky stars, our 2004 Jay Flight seems to have avoided such issues.
No ripples or sags in the ceiling, had it 6 years now and it looks exactly the same (dry) as the day we got it.
Good luck on getting that fixed up in time for your Alaska trip, enjoy your trip.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1tosh View Post
Holy Crap!
That's some winter project. Really a shame that you got such a raw deal.
Thanking my lucky stars, our 2004 Jay Flight seems to have avoided such issues.

Yes, it's a shame, but I don't feel I got a raw deal. The trailer was priced pretty low. Just another bump in the road of life! Other than the bum roof it's a pretty nice budget trailer. Seems well built other than the obvious.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
It looks like you are going to make it better than Jayco ever dreamed of. There is a lot to be said for taking the time to do things right!

Yeah it will take time alright! And I'm not an expert in the stuff so I'll be researching answers!
Old 12-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #15

Your photo album shows a lot of work. Looks like your doing it the right way.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #16

Gotta do what I gotta do

Thanks, I've never worked on an RV before, it's an adventure! Looks like I only have two more mild temperature days here in Wisconsin to work on it in my unheated barn, hope to make the best of it. Will leave the trailer as opened as possible to dry out over the winter and next spring. Finding ice crystals on the wetness in the morning so it will take months to dry out, if ever!
Old 12-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #17

I purchased a 2006 Jay Feather LGT this last September. There was obviously some mild delamination on one end, and some mild water damage inside near the head. The seller was the only owner and had all the original manuals and paperwork. He said the leaking and delamination happened after he used a pressure washer to clean the roof. Then he learned that was a bad idea. I have no idea if he was being honest or not. He seemed honest though and didn't seem to be trying to hide anything. We did buy if for below book value.

I was living and working in a different town at the time so my daughter and a family friend looked the Jay over carefully. The friend climbed all over and under and said all seemed to be as the seller described. Since then we have had to fix a leak in the seal of the rear window above the bed. And now there are leaks coming from around the air conditioner. The drip pan looks clean so maybe it's the gasket? I'm wondering if this model is one with roof problems? I did have an RV tech come out last month and he said the roof looked like it had been caulked this year and seemed to be in overall good condition but that everything should be sealed again this spring.

I lived in rural Alaska for 25 years and have driven the Alaska highway a number of time but not recently. Alaska is absolutely beautiful! This RV stuff is all new to me and it's a definite learning curve. I'm hoping to learn from your repair project and posts on here!
happycamper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Important to redo the corners as they still use putty (which dries out over time) replace it with butyl tape. Similar to all other outside moldings, and the windows use foam seals, just replace them also with butyl tape and you'll never have any leaks. Regular roof maintenance with the appropriate type of sealer is a must.
The RV industry sell you an RV and you have to finish it.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #19

How good is the "Arctic Package"? 2016 REKS29 White Hawk.
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper007 View Post
And now there are leaks coming from around the air conditioner. The drip pan looks clean so maybe it's the gasket? I'm wondering if this model is one with roof problems?

Yes, I'm revved up to go to Alaska! This trailer project turned into more than I imagined, kinda fun, kinda intimidating. Your A/C - does it leak only when it's running, or only when and after it's raining? On mine the condensate pan just drains unto the roof, then (ideally) into the gutter and off the roof. Mine was draining properly when I was running it to dehumidify the interior. When I removed it for my project there was rot at the roofing at one end of the unit. Likely a combination of a poor gasket and poor design.

I'm completely unimpressed with the overall design of the roofing system! Talk about a weak link in an otherwise nice trailer! And this poor system results in major damage! I suspect there are many trailers by many companies out there with equally unimpressive roofing systems and hidden failures.