Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

2009 Melbourne Leak under Kitchen Sink

Hello everyone. We are new to the forum but have a 2009 Melbourne that we bought new in 2008. A problem we have developed in the last 6 months or so is a leak under the kitchen sink. I have looked and looked and can not find any wet fittings or loose connections. I have tightened everyone that I can find. The water forms right below the single lever tap on the right side of the sink. I thought it may have been the cartridge in the tap...I changed the cartridge to no avail. I have looked at all the connections and fittings on the water heater and under the sink in the bathroom. To make matters worse it isn't wet all the time, seems every 3-4 days we see the water. It's frustrating to say the least. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you found??!!

Thanks

geoff
okanaganrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Could it be running down the spout and landing in that area?
Just wondering if your airator screen is a little dirty and causing it to intermittently run down the spout.

Just a thought. You've seemed to cover everything else that comes to mind.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

My trailer had an issue similar to this. Like you, I checked all the drain and supply connections and found no leak. The problem turned out to be a leak at the base of the faucet, as dougtoms01 suggested; splashed water would leak between the base of the faucet and the sink. You could test for this by carefully drying everything (maybe even turn off the water supply) and then pouring a small amount of water all around the base of the faucet. If a leak is apparent, you've identified the problem.

My cure was to remove the faucet and base and re-seal it. I used butyl tape, because that's what I had, but a better choice might have been plumber's putty. It doesn't continue to squeeze out as bad as butyl, and it's easier to scrape off the excess.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #4

Hello geoff and welcome to Jayco Owners Forum. I have moved your thread to Jayco Problems and Issues. Looks like you are already getting some help with your sink problem.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I have found and corrected the problem. As I said it would only leak sometimes and then everything was dry(very frustrating). I finally got up in the morning and looked....dry...then started the water heater....dry until about 40 minutes then water and quite a bit of it coming from one of the hot water fittings! The only thing I can think of is that when the warmer water reached the fitting it expanded part of it allowing the fitting to leak and then when the other part of the fitting warmed up it expanded as well, making it tight and not leaking. Got a flex tube from HD and replaced the original tubing. Of course all this is in an area where there is NO ROOM to work and you have to do it backwards and upside down!! It is all back together and hopefully it is good.

Geoff
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okanaganrver View Post
and you have to do it backwards and upside down!! Geoff
... and then I bang my head on something. I feel your pain.

It might be a good idea to check or replace your water heater's temperature and pressure relief valve. As the water heats up, it expands - could it be that the expansion of the water increases the pressure and causes a questionable joint to leak? Maybe the pressure relief valve is not opening at the appropriate point.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

That's a good point RVhiker..I'll check that as well after my skinned knuckles and head have healed!!