Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #41

There are, in my opinion, four major areas of concern about the quality of a towable RV.

1) Frame strength
2) Axle and suspension strength and quality
3) Tires and brake quality
4) Construction for water tightness

For me, (after some modifications) I am reasonably pleased with the first three items on my Jayco trailer. I am not pleased with the last item, and do not think I'd be pleased with any typical trailer. I think any potential buyer of an RV should be concerned when reading reports of water damage that is not covered by a manufacturer's warranty. My understanding is that all towable RV's are constructed in about the same way - that is, panels of some material put together with screws and waterproofed by a combination of a roofing sheet, aluminum moldings, putty, and caulk.

Until buyers are more concerned about the basic construction of their trailers - and not nifty "bells and whistles" - we will all be sold trailers that are pieced together and sealed with caulk. But the American automobile manufacturers made a lot of crap, too - until they got some competition. Cost is a major concern, particularly for an optional purchase like an RV and competition has an influence on both quality and cost.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #42

I totally agree with you. Very good post. I think in this day and age the manufacturers of travel trailers could do a much better job keeping moisture from entering a trailer. If you go to Craigslist you can find 35 year old Bolers for sale between 3-5 grand that have lasted the test of time. Surely they could make keeping a trailer dry a much higher priority. They depend on the purchaser for maintenance and if there is a leak, it's always the buyers fault. Granted these roll down the highway at 55+ mph but maybe it's time
for a change in design. ( what and not sell as many new trailers).
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #43

Angry Water Leak

After reading not sure who is responsible, but I think Jayco should pay the dealer to look @ it and determine what happened and get it fixed. I had an issue and I talked to Mark West @ Jayco he authorized my repair Is not the good customer service we expect from Jayco. I agree roof upkeep and sealing is our responsibility, but if not sealant or caulk is not present from the factory not a good installation.

Contact Mark and see what he will do.

BuckeyeJim
Columbus Oh
2010 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2011 Ram Diesel
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote