Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #21

Sure they do, they just don't post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Step View Post
I wonder if Jayco looks at posts on this website?
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Here is what my manual says about sealants:

"Caution:
Failure to properly maintain or reseal your RV may result in serious water damage to your RV. This damage is not covered by the Towable Limited Warranty."

Heres another excerpt

"It is recommended that you or your dealer inspect all sealants a minimum of every six months.Make sure to check all four sides of the RV including moldings, windows, doors, vents, and exterior attachments. Reseal as necessary as preventative maintenance.

Replace sealant and cap seal if you notice any cracks, gaps, lifting, looseness, shrinkage, voids, or any sign of physical deterioration.Complete your repairs immediately to prevent damage to your RV."

It goes on with more detail and pics of where and how to seal, etc, and so on. There is a page and a half just on sealing and sealing maintanence. Not saying this applies to the OP situation, just showing their policies and recommendations on sealing. It seems if you do not inspect and reseal every six months you are on your own for water entry repairs in many cases.
my dealer says the rear roof ladder where it connects to the roof are overlooked yes it flex's and when sealant crack there goes the water inside, they recommend not getting the roof ladder.
buffalobillsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #23

Is there any update from the original poster on this topic? did Jayco resolve it or not? This is definately an issue where Jayco and/or the dealer should have stepped up and corrected it... no brand new trailer should be leaking a few months after purchase, I dont care what the fine print in the warranty states.

I really hope that Jayco came through on this one.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #24

Nothing yet...

I sent a dispute via the Good Sam Action Line last week. As of yet I have not heard from anyone. According to Good Sam, Jayco has 30 days to respond. If nothing after 30 days, GS will send another letter. So, have a few more weeks to go on the first round.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #25

Ken, thanks for posting this. I enjoy reading the Good Sam action line. Over the years there has been very few letters written to Good Sam in reference to Jayco. I had a Fleetwood Wilderness that leaked while under warranty. It was a fight to get them to pay for the repairs. I know how you feel and not something I'd want to revisit. The estimate could be low. Depends what they see once inside. I inspect our roof often. We bought the extended warranty for this very reason. Thru no fault of your own you could end up with a whopper of a repair bill. The manager at the trailer shop where we bought the Wilderness told me "All trailers leak. It just a matter of when".
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
The manager at the trailer shop where we bought the Wilderness told me "All trailers leak. It just a matter of when".

I imagine you were told this after you signed the papers? Hopefully things will work out for yyou Ken in the end. Ongoing maint and inspections are a must on all TT, RVs, PUs etc starting even when new to catch these things.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #27

Well, the first 30 days have past on my Good Sam Action line to Jayco with no response from them. GS Action Line sent another letter to them last week. If no response within 21 days, GS will consider the matter closed. Good or bad, you think Jayco would reply.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #28

Looks like Jayco is not going to reply to the Good Sam complaint. GS has sent two letters and nothing from Jayco. Even if it was a no or negative response they should have replied. Took the 5th wheel in to my dealer last Friday to get the leak repairs done. May be my last Jayco!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
snip.......They believe the leak is coming from around of the edge of the molding somehow. That is why they say I should have caulked around the edge, even though there is no caulk/sealant there now........
Interesting........, I didn't see anywhere in Jayco's documentation that states owner is responsible for "adding" sealant to areas where Jayco's manufacturing/assembly process doesn't apply sealant......, in some cases adding sealant could "trap" moisture if it has an entry point (grounds for a warranty service claim rejection).

Since Jayco disagrees with the dealer's conclusion, and assuming that Jayco hasn't inspected your TT first hand, I would ask that Jayco send a representative to your dealer to inspect your TT and confirm the root cause (eliminate the "somehow").

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #30

Good point Bob...I have gone up the chain and even talked to the Manager in charge of Warranty coverage and they are very adamant about doing nothing. As far as they are concerned, after 6 months the owner is responsible for all sealing/caulking/leaks. Now, if you are willing to take the unit to their repair shop in Indiana they will repair at a reduced rate or even for free in some instances. But, the cost of me taking my 5th wheel from Florida to Northern Indiana, return to Florida, leave the 5er for a few weeks/month, return to pick up and back to Florida would not be beneficial. My insurance will cover the cost of the repair minus the $500 deductible, so I am not completely at a lost here. It was just the principal of the matter!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #31

A year later and $3,100 the RV is finally fixed.

According to the dealer who did the repairs, water was getting in between the fiberglass exterior and interior plywood walls thru screw holes along the rear section of the RV. There was never any indication of leak(s) until the damage was already done.

The RV was still under factory warranty when the damage first showed. But, Jayco refused to cover under warranty, stating that sealant/leak issues are the owners problem after 6 months ownership. :censored:

I filed a claim under the RV insurance and luckily they paid for it...minus the $500 deductible. About 2 weeks later I received a check. But, the more I thought about the madder it made me, that Jayco would not fix. It is BS that I pay $30k for an RV and have to worry about bad sealant/leaks 6 months later.

I am a Good Sam member and decided to file a complaint through them...thinking I would get some kind of response from Jayco. The complaint was filed twice by Good Sam and Jayco did not answer neither of them.

So, decided to deposit the insurance check and get the RV repaired. They had to replace the whole rear wall of the RV. Picked it up Friday and all looks good. Hope it lasts anyway. May be my last Jayco though.

But it seems to be a common occurrence on other brands also. My parents have a Passport that was a year old in June. Already having problems with leaks. A friend here at work has a year old Dutchmen. Took it in last week for leaks.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #32

I have a 2011 28.5RLS. I've had a lot of trouble keeping sealed the joints where the side walls of the trailer meet the rear wall. I eventually gave up on caulking (Proflex) and put a strip of Eternabond along those seams. Do you now if your leaks were along the side walls or were the leaks at the joint where the roof meets the rear wall?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #33

According to the dealer; the leak(s) were along the seam where the rear wall and side walls meet. Sound like the same place you are describing. The dealer is saying that water was getting through the screws along the rear wall. Jayco says that can not happen and they insist water must have entered along the seam along the side walls. That is why Jayco insist that sealant be ran along that seam to prevent leaks...funny thing though is that Jayco does not seal there out of factory. But, it is the owners responsibility to know to do that.

RV, let me know if you want to discuss and I can PM my number or you can PM yours.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #34

wow

i was just about to buy a jayco rv this weekend especially due to their 2 yr warranty but after reading this post i will have to rethink buying it...or buying an rv all together... i would hate to go through what krsmitty just experienced....25k is just too much money to invest in something i might hate due to a warranty issue.
kijana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijana View Post
i was just about to buy a jayco rv this weekend especially due to their 2 yr warranty but after reading this post i will have to rethink buying it...or buying an rv all together... i would hate to go through what krsmitty just experienced....25k is just too much money to invest in something i might hate due to a warranty issue.
RV's are certainly not maintenance free items, quite the opposite. I'm certainly not suggesting krsmitty did anything to create a leak, but rather you need to make sure you understand the requirements to actively inspect and maintain an RV. If active inspections and maintenance aren't something you want to do -- then you are right buying an RV isn't for you.

All Mfgs warranties are pretty clear, maintenance items are on the owner, which includes seals and caulking after a brief time, typically 3-6 months.

That said, for every negative story you read or hear about an RV, the MFG, build quality, etc...please understand there are dozens of owners with positive experiences. When was the last time you went a posted a positive and supportive review of something vs a negative and scathing review? It's far easier to get motivation from anger and disappointment then for something to work as you expected it too.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #36

Poster's disclaimer: I like to accept everything as said. But on the internet, anyone can say anything about anything. So all we can do is hope we are dealing with facts.

I hope I never see an RV manufacturer's statement that says: "We might not have built your trailer as good as we should have and it might leak after 6 months. If it does, to bad for you".

A new TT shouldn't leak after 6 months. Is this statement wrong?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. You can visit any forum that deals with products sold and you will find some horror stories including any of the vehicles on the road today. What happened to fellow member krsmitty was unfortunate and we sympathize with his situation, but while every RV manufacturer puts out a bad one from time to time there are thousands of owners we never hear from, simply because their unit performed as expected. The odds that your unit would have major issues are slim.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
If you can be swayed from buying a Jayco just by reading this thread, maybe you would be better off taking your chances staying at a motel 6.

I wanted to add some more but that about states my feelings on this subject.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Poster's disclaimer: I like to accept everything as said. But on the internet, anyone can say anything about anything. So all we can do is hope we are dealing with facts.

I hope I never see an RV manufacturer's statement that says: "We might not have built your trailer as good as we should have and it might leak after 6 months. If it does, to bad for you".

A new TT shouldn't leak after 6 months. Is this statement wrong?
My whole point exactly!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #40

Unfortunately it is not just Jayco. I believe most other RV manufacturers are the same.