Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

2016 23F Dometic 2652 Not Working

Brand new trailer, bought mid Feb.

Used it a couple times overnight one night at a time. Fridge seemed to work OK, I remember seeing frost in the freezer, no noticably warm food, etc.

Went out this past weekend for one night. Parked the camper at home Sun afternoon, plugged into shore power.

Then Tuesday afternoon my wife went out to grab something out of the fridge and it was warm. Freezer also. She of course accused me of not plugging in the trailer lol.

Been looking at it for 2 days now. The boiler gets hot just fine on both propane and electric, all fuses ok everywhere, if I put my head right next to the cooling unit I can hear a very slight sound like fluid moving or bubbling in the pipes. But the freezer and refrigerator will not cool below ambient temp. Confirmed with new thermometers I just put in there yesterday.

The thermistor is properly positioned.

Have an appointment to have it checked out at the dealer next Tues, but his best guess after talking with me and discussing the issue is that it's probably a bad cooling unit, and I'll be out of service here for a coupe weeks to get the part, warranty claim approved, etc.

No ammonia smell whatsoever. I confirmed that the refrigerator is at dead level (+/- 0.5 degrees) with a digital level on the freezer shelf.

Any other ideas? Should I pull the fridge out and try to 'burp' it? My wife says to just let the dealer look at it, but we have plans booked with the trailer already for the next few weekends.... My driveway is at a decent incline, maybe 10-15 degree slope or so, and the camper probably sat there for 5-10 minutes between the time we got the wheels chocked and TV disconnected until the time I got the tongue jack leveled out. Could that have caused an issue with a brand new refrigerator?

Thanks.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

Is the trailer level? From my read of the Dometic 2652 manual (we have one in our 23RLSW), you can have some major problems with proper operation if the trailer isn't level. Sounds like you leveled it properly. Another thing is that it may take a day or so to reach temperature when you first turn it on.

With those thoughts out of the way, it's time to have the dealer check it.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Yeah, I leveled the trailer using the freezer shelf as the plane. it's within 0.5 degrees of level side to side and front to back.

Been running for 3 days now. Still 60 degrees top and bottom. Just wasting electric at this point...
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
Brand new trailer, bought mid Feb.

Used it a couple times overnight one night at a time. Fridge seemed to work OK, I remember seeing frost in the freezer, no noticably warm food, etc.

Went out this past weekend for one night. Parked the camper at home Sun afternoon, plugged into shore power.

Then Tuesday afternoon my wife went out to grab something out of the fridge and it was warm. Freezer also. She of course accused me of not plugging in the trailer lol.

Been looking at it for 2 days now. The boiler gets hot just fine on both propane and electric, all fuses ok everywhere, if I put my head right next to the cooling unit I can hear a very slight sound like fluid moving or bubbling in the pipes. But the freezer and refrigerator will not cool below ambient temp. Confirmed with new thermometers I just put in there yesterday.

The thermistor is properly positioned.

Have an appointment to have it checked out at the dealer next Tues, but his best guess after talking with me and discussing the issue is that it's probably a bad cooling unit, and I'll be out of service here for a coupe weeks to get the part, warranty claim approved, etc.

No ammonia smell whatsoever. I confirmed that the refrigerator is at dead level (+/- 0.5 degrees) with a digital level on the freezer shelf.

Any other ideas? Should I pull the fridge out and try to 'burp' it? My wife says to just let the dealer look at it, but we have plans booked with the trailer already for the next few weekends.... My driveway is at a decent incline, maybe 10-15 degree slope or so, and the camper probably sat there for 5-10 minutes between the time we got the wheels chocked and TV disconnected until the time I got the tongue jack leveled out. Could that have caused an issue with a brand new refrigerator?

Thanks.
hey! searched the forum as my husband and i are having a similar problem....would you mind sharing the outcome of this? we are having thoughts of "burping" it as well. any luck yourself or knowledge from the dealer? thanks!
Travelingfamilyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #5

Dealer replaced it under warranty for us, the cooling unit was defective, but they didn't know why it failed. New one has been working great so far.