Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

2017 23BHM - no power from battery despite full charge

We took out 2017 23BHM to Asheville, NC for an event in October planning to dry camp on battery only (it was the Overland Expo so we knew we'd be gone all day and expected little use). Because of this, I didn't take our generator along.

So we get to the site, park and start the set up process. Everything is going fine - leveled, slide out, awning out, no issues. We disconnect from the TV and head into town for dinner.

When we get back, the TT is stone cold dead. No lights, no frig (despite gas on and working before we disconnected), nothing. And its 50 degrees outside and dropping. I figured we drained the battery putting the slide out and decide that rather than gambling on finding a generator to borrow in the morning to try and put some charge on the battery (which is now damaged due to draining flat), I'm going to make the 3-3.5 hour drive back to Atlanta.

So I head home, and get there around 1:00-1:30 (I forget now), decide to sleep for 2 hours. I then get up, load our HF Predator 3500w generator and head back, arriving just as everyone is waking up to a 40-50 degree interior. Hook up the genny as soon as we get to the time they're allowed and everything works fine.

Once everyone is dressed and ready, we shut it off and head to town to replace the battery. We end up buying the wrong size (group 27 vs. 24, IIRC - this leads to many swear words when we can't figure why it won't fit in the holder on the tongue, so we remove the box and sit it on the tongue frame), but we hook it up and .... still dead. Hook up to truck power - still dead.

Many more swear words lead to another trip back to town, where we have them test our old battery - full charge. So we return the purchased, wrong size battery and take our perfectly fine original back, reinstall the box and replace the battery. Still dead. We give up and head to the expo. Upon return, we run the genny until cut off time so we can run the furnace and have lights and then bed down for another cold night.

So we are packing up to leave, running the genny (from the truck bed) to close the slide, awning, and have power/heat while we pack up. I shut it down and move the truck to the front - and realize I don't have any power for the jack. I get the extension cords setup and restore genny power, get everything hooked up and we make it home.

That's a long story to say for whatever reason, our TT battery hookup is f@#$'d. I tried twice to get it in for warranty service, but failed twice (weather once, forgot keys once). So we're taking camping this weekend since we'll have shore power and don't want to cancel. If someone has advice, I would sure love to fix this myself as the Camping World location says they are generally 2-2.5 weeks out before they can even look at it and order/start the parts wait.

BTW, disconnecting the battery and looking around the wiring helped me realize how completely cheap and ****ty the electrical work is on these TTs and sometimes I wonder that they ever work at all.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

Check for a 30amp fuse near battery. Seems pretty common. May be a reset able circuit breaker
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
Check for a 30amp fuse near battery. Seems pretty common. May be a reset able circuit breaker
^. Happens on ours too. I’ve stocked up on 30amp fuses just for that.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
X3
Old 11-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Another thing to check...

Whenever batteries are disconnected and reconnected etc., there is the potential to blow the reverse polarity fuses in the converter/charger. Even briefly touching the wrong cables to the battery will blow them. If they blow, then the trailer won't have 12v power.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. Is the 30A fuse in the main fuse panel (inside) or somewhere outside?

I'm confident we didn't have issues with touching poles. I follow a strict process for connecting/disconnecting, as electricity in general is one thing I'm nervous about.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Yeah, based on the information you've given, I see no reason to believe the battery was the problem. As others have said, it's likely the 30amp fuse.

For less than 30 bucks you can buy a multimeter to check your battery voltage. Or better yet, for about 10 to 12 bucks you can use a hydrometer and get a more definitive answer on the state of your battery. Both items are in my TT toolbox.

It may sound a little nerdy, but I keep multiple spares of all the fuses that my TT uses. When I saw online that people suggested this, I though nah, when will I really need those. The answer is...often enough. Anytime the electric jack is retracted a smidge too far, POOF, there goes the 30amp fuse. The first time that happened I stocked up. Welcome to nerd-villa
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Is the 30A fuse in the main fuse panel (inside) or somewhere outside?

I'm confident we didn't have issues with touching poles. I follow a strict process for connecting/disconnecting, as electricity in general is one thing I'm nervous about.
On my 26BH, the fuse holder dangles from a couple wires coming out of the front of the trailer at the tongue jack (outside). That's a pretty common location, and the first place I'd look on your TT.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
On my 26BH, the fuse holder dangles from a couple wires coming out of the front of the trailer at the tongue jack (outside). That's a pretty common location, and the first place I'd look on your TT.
Thanks, I will check!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

You guys are awesome! Sure enough, blown 30A fuse on the front of the TT.

I can't believe something so simple had us fooled, but on the other hand looking at the wiring again (half of which is held together with electrical tape), I can see why we thought something else failed.

Thanks for solving this for us and avoiding a lengthy warranty visit.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Throw a few 30 amp fuses in the TT, and try not to run the tongue jack to it's upper limit. Sometimes it'll blow that fuse. Some brands of jacks seem to be fussy like that.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Throw a few 30 amp fuses in the TT, and try not to run the tongue jack to it's upper limit. Sometimes it'll blow that fuse. Some brands of jacks seem to be fussy like that.
Before we left, I sent the wife unit to the local auto parts store to get a package with a variety of fuses. So we have 5 or so each of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and one other I forget.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #13

Replace the fuse with a circuit breaker

I replaced my "fuse" with a 30 amp Bussman 185-30 circuit breaker. Took me 20 minutes and I will never have to replace that fuse again. Bought it on Amazon. While you are at it, I suggest your purchase a "fuse" kit with multiple size fuses. And, make sure you have at least a few 40 amp fuses; there is one in your fuse box inside the TT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
30 Amp Breaker Resized.jpg  
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote