Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

2019 Seneca Steering Wheel

I am a new owner of a new 2019 Seneca. We are out on our first trip and beside the list of 20 little things that don’t work properly I have this issue today.

I do not know how to categorize this as a creak or squeak. This morning when we started the steering wheel was just fine. I did not notice any issue until we got to our final destination. I went I to the park office then got back into the RV and the steering wheel was making this awful noise.

This video was taken once we got into our spot and I turned off the RV.

Any ideas?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/p3gfWODVqFA
ThomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
SFM

Good to hear I am not alone. My 2019 is making the same noise. I have a little more than 4K miles. It started about the 3k mark. On top of the steering wheel noise, the wheel is off center about 30 degrees. Numerous check engine lights as well. I have an appointment with the local Freightliner dealer on Monday 8/12. I will post the results. I also have a structural problem with cab over bunk. We have a list of about 30 items that need attention. At this point I am very disappointed in the Jayco product. Craftsmanship is very poor. I should have taken more time looking at the coach instead of being rushed by the dealer.
SFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

Re

Hi, I just picked up my 2019 Seneca and have noticed the exact same thing. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership about what to do.

What ended up happening to yours?
jasgorsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #4

I own a 2019 Jayco Seneca with a little over 6000 miles on it and I am having the same issue. It seems to not become evident until the Seneca warms up on the road. Here is my link to my noise...

https://youtu.be/_HelVEUwBW0

Anyone have any luck as to what it could be? Looks like it's a common occurrence with our rigs. I
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJD View Post
I am a new owner of a new 2019 Seneca. We are out on our first trip and beside the list of 20 little things that don’t work properly I have this issue today.

I do not know how to categorize this as a creak or squeak. This morning when we started the steering wheel was just fine. I did not notice any issue until we got to our final destination. I went I to the park office then got back into the RV and the steering wheel was making this awful noise.

This video was taken once we got into our spot and I turned off the RV.

Any ideas?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/p3gfWODVqFA

Your video is not coming up for me. Did you remove it?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

I had the same noise and could not find anything after checking out the steering column and shaft down to the steering box, but I did not remove the cover on the inside to check out. Mine finally stopped at about 8k miles and my guess is its a rubber or plastic part making the sound and it finally got broken in. As far as the steering wheel being off a little, most are that way and if it bugs you they can take care of it at Freightliner.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I had the same noise and could not find anything after checking out the steering column and shaft down to the steering box, but I did not remove the cover on the inside to check out. Mine finally stopped at about 8k miles and my guess is its a rubber or plastic part making the sound and it finally got broken in. As far as the steering wheel being off a little, most are that way and if it bugs you they can take care of it at Freightliner.
Thanks, Rusty!!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
SFM

I had my Seneca over at Freightliner and they did a great job of taking care of the steering wheel issues. They were able to align the wheel perfectly straight and the coach steers straight and true. No pull left or right and the noise/buzz/hum coming from the steering wheel when turning is gone. The dealer said that there are numerous electrical connections in the steering wheel housing. Their tech looked at them and applied contact grease and that seemed to resolve the issue. The coach has been at La Mesa RV in San Diego for the last 8 weeks for warranty work on the numerous issues as a result of Jayco's cheap crappy assembly work. I will see how it comes out. Hope you get your coach squared away.
SFM is offline   Reply With Quote