Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

28BHS Slide Out Problem (Construction)

Found an issue that I didn't realize I had at until recently. While detailing my camper I found that my slide out (which I always thought wasn't quite right) doesn't seal properly on one side. After a ton of investigation I found that it looks as if the slide opening or the slide itself is out of square causing it to gap at the top back corner between the roof and the back sidewall. I am really hoping that Jayco steps up and makes this right. One of the reasons I bought a Jayco was for the 2 year warranty and I hope they are as good as I have heard.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is my attempt to explain this situation.

Side of slide with the issue. You can see the wiper doesn't even touch the top of the slide

Closer shot

Inside view where you can really start to see the issue. Because of where the slide is you really can't see this without a camera and cramming your head back there.

This aluminum piece does not even touch the internal rubber seal that it is supposed to compress against.

Side that is correct

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1774.jpg   IMGP1787.jpg   IMGP1801.jpg   IMGP1782.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I tend to agree, something isn't right...., hard to say if a slide adjustment will address the issue. Let us know what your RV dealership says, and the final resolution.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Site Team

I had a situation where the slide on my 28BHS would not fully seat on the front top corner when the slide was retracted after about a year and a half of use. The slide was out of adjustment on mine, but I believe it was at least partly my fault for not using the slide lock during that period, which causes the top of the slide to move during travel. Now I use the slide lock all the time. I adjusted the slide myself, all the brackets and slide mechanism are under the couch on that slide. Your fix could of course require a more involved approach, I would get the dealer to take care of it with the warranty. Good luck and let us know what the fix is.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I tend to agree, something isn't right...., hard to say if a slide adjustment will address the issue. Let us know what your RV dealership says, and the final resolution.

Bob
I tend to be very handy and spent a lot of time assessing the situation over the last week or two and I am doubtful that it can be adjusted for a variety of reasons but am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I have never had a warranty issue on any of my last two Jaycos so I am worried about how this is going to go but trying to be hopeful it will be handled correctly. Seeing how this was our first rig with a slide I wasn't used to assessing them like I no know how to do. the only way I really noticed it was it doesn't ever want to pull tight in that corner when you shut the slide and the guy camping next to me said his 28BHS wasn't like that which led me to start digging into it.

While I was under the trailer on a creeper rolling around I found another issue that seems like a leak somewhere. I didn't even start digging into that one as it was going to the dealer anyways. It can be frustrating especially when you are as anal as I am. I literally check my roof seams and other seams almost weekly in the summer time and 2 times per month in the off season and pride myself in taking care of my baby.

My wife thinks I am obsessive compulsive about checking our camper constantly but I think she is starting to understand why.

I will definitely get back to you with how it was handled/addressed and what the root cause is. Anyone know if I should email Jayco directly with my concerns?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
snip..... Anyone know if I should email Jayco directly with my concerns?
Work through your dealer first, then decide if contacting Jayco directly is needed.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I had a situation where the slide on my 28BHS would not fully seat on the front top corner when the slide was retracted after about a year and a half of use. The slide was out of adjustment on mine, but I believe it was at least partly my fault for not using the slide lock during that period, which causes the top of the slide to move during travel.
I have always used the slide lock and I now realize the problem has been there from the beginning because I have always had to (and was told to) just use the slide to pull the corner in and make it seal........ Being new to slide I went with it but now realize it was wrong from the beginning. I typed all of this up in a word doc with pictures just in case it needs to go to corporate. I will say I have always had great service with my dealer so I am hoping they come to my rescue on this one. I really love this camper so much that it is making me a bit sick.........
Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Site Team

I truly believe it can be fixed through adjustment, try not to worry too much.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I truly believe it can be fixed through adjustment, try not to worry too much.
Trying not to
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Team

My slide looked just like yours. the problem was the front side needed adjusted up at the bottom to make the top rear side fit the seal better.
I see you are in Athans OH did you by chance buy from summitt RV in Ashland KY?

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

Silly question.

What's a slide lock? Do I have one on my 32bhds? I simply pull in the slides and away I go. Am I missing something.

Thanks.
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Silly question.

What's a slide lock? Do I have one on my 32bhds? I simply pull in the slides and away I go. Am I missing something.

Thanks.
Not a silly question at all!

It's a brace that goes on the top of the slide when it's closed that wedges between the outside wall and the inside of the top of the slide to keep it in place during transit.

My trailer is not framed for a slide lock.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Silly question.

Thanks.
Some slides require slide locks to stabilize them. Some do not.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #13

Well I dropped it off at the dealer and talked with the service guy for a while. I typed them up a list of the problems with pictures to show the issues. I also asked them to open up the back section where I suspect a leak to evaluate the condition. I also asked them to take pictures to document it.

I was very polite and just expressed my concerns and they never blinked an eye said they would get it taken care of and thanked me for the list so they knew what the problem was. Hr said his only question was when did I need it back. I laughed and said when it is right and ready to go....... Crossing my fingers but so far they are living up to their reputation of being great to deal with.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
My slide looked just like yours. the problem was the front side needed adjusted up at the bottom to make the top rear side fit the seal better.
I see you are in Athans OH did you by chance buy from summitt RV in Ashland KY?
I am guessing your slide has two slide motors? This one only has one in the center which I have been told makes it harder to adjust since it doesn't pull from both sides?

I didn't buy from them but have been looking online at the new Jayco 2015 26BHS and they have popped up a few times.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
I am guessing your slide has two slide motors? This one only has one in the center which I have been told makes it harder to adjust since it doesn't pull from both sides?

I didn't buy from them but have been looking online at the new Jayco 2015 26BHS and they have popped up a few times.
The Schwintek mechanism uses 2 motors but I think the "other" kinds (whatever they're called) use only a single motor. Our big slide is 15' long and has a single motor. There are what appear to be many "adjustment" bolts underneath but I'd avoid tinkering with them at all cost. I'm the guy that can screw up an anvil with my rubber hammer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
The Schwintek mechanism uses 2 motors but I think the "other" kinds (whatever they're called) use only a single motor. Our big slide is 15' long and has a single motor. There are what appear to be many "adjustment" bolts underneath but I'd avoid tinkering with them at all cost. I'm the guy that can screw up an anvil with my rubber hammer.
Haha I hear you on not wanting to mess with them. Since it is under warranty they can have at it.

No news on mine yet but my Dad drove by this evening and said they had it hooked to the tractor and pulled out of the garage they had me back it into. Half tempted to call them and ask how things are going but don't want to bug them to much as I know they are busy. Inquiring minds want to know though
Old 10-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #17

I called the dealership today just out of curiosity to see how things were going and what they had found. I talked to the same guy in service who was working on it and he said that the leak was from the nut on top of the black tank as it had loosened just a bit and had a small drip. They opened the bottom back corner up dropped the tank and took pictures of everything for me dried it out and put it back together. He said everything looked good and he had the pictures saved for me to look at.

They haven't started on the slide yet and said that is next on the list. I made a three page list of everything I wanted checked before taking it to them along with pictures of everything. He was super nice about it and said since I told him to take his time he has been working off and on throughout the day and making sure everything is good. He figured he will be done by the middle of the next week. So far I'm happy with everything I have heard so we will see what they find out about the slide and how everything looks.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #18

Thumbs up

So I got the call they were done late on last Friday but couldn't get over there to take a look at it and check everything out until this evening. Anyhow went over everything with the technician and it is spot on!! They actually took the slide loose and centered everything up remounted it and then made the minor adjustments from there. The slide wipers touch evenly from top to bottom and I am thrilled!

Everything else they did was very well done and you can tell they took some pride in their work. Roof seams were touched up, I reviewed the pics of the bottom of the camper and they looked fine, I even had them seal the corner seams and they used different colored caulk on the graphic areas so it blends in appropriately. I am happy with the turn out and glad everything is now correct.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Site Team

Glad to hear your 28 is now good to go and the slide only needed adjustment. Now time to go camping!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #20

How do I adjust rv slideout on Jayco 28bhs that is under couch. I have the same problem the guy was having with one upper side to far one direction. Thx
Midnight Rose is offline   Reply With Quote