Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

2nd trip out, and a leak developed under the bathroom sink.

It seems to be localized on the hot water side. I have a 2017 Jay Flight 23RB.

After hand tightening it as much as possible, it still leaked some, but only when the pump had been on. Once the pump was cut off, and the hot water side of faucet turned on in order to relieve pressure.

I believe the outside shower is on the opposite side of the plumbing. Can I undo the fittings and apply teflon tape, and call it good?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Yes, definitely. We had 2 hot water lines on our Bungalow come loose at the faucet. Neither had teflon tape. Added teflon tape and both are good.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

I would rather try to fix it myself than have it sit at the dealer for weeks. Sounds like a simple fix with some teflon tape.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

It's definitely not going back to the dealer for warranty work, even though it is technically a "warranty" item.

1) I need the trailer now, not in a couple of weeks, and 2) Don't want to pull it a 120 miles to have it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would rather try to fix it myself than have it sit at the dealer for weeks. Sounds like a simple fix with some teflon tape.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

Tentatively, I'm calling it good. Put teflon tape on the leaky connection for the hot water side of the outside shower, which is under the bathroom cabinet.

Had the water pump on for about 30 minutes afterwards, and no evidence of leaks. I'll check it again a little later before putting the stuff back under the sink cabinet.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #6

Teflon tape will not fix the problem, the threads are not the seal. The screw fittings have a small cone shaped rubber washer in them. If that is at fault the fitting will still leak.

The leaks like this seem to be a common problem on Jayco's. Ours did it as well. i just had to tighten up the fitting and it has been fine.

Yes, they only leaked in very specific conditions. Run hot water a lot. Shut off faucet. Water heats back up creating higher pressure in the lines. Fitting leaks. Open faucet and no more leak.

You might also check other fittings in your trailer. Some have leaks near the water heater and outside shower. I had one near the outside water connection (near the water pump).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Site Team

As long as it doesn't leak, I'll not argue why it did. Just check it often for recurrence. It is the same washer and fitting as a residential sink and it will loosen up over time just from bouncing down the road.

Your house would also if you towed it down the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #8

So far the teflon tape has seemed to do the job. I'll keep my eye on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Teflon tape will not fix the problem, the threads are not the seal. The screw fittings have a small cone shaped rubber washer in them. If that is at fault the fitting will still leak.

The leaks like this seem to be a common problem on Jayco's. Ours did it as well. i just had to tighten up the fitting and it has been fine.

Yes, they only leaked in very specific conditions. Run hot water a lot. Shut off faucet. Water heats back up creating higher pressure in the lines. Fitting leaks. Open faucet and no more leak.

You might also check other fittings in your trailer. Some have leaks near the water heater and outside shower. I had one near the outside water connection (near the water pump).

Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #9

Cut them off and replace them with quality fittings. I had to do it to stop the leak. Bought them at Home depot.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post

I'm thinking the teflon tape on the threads is acting as a lubricant which enables you to get the fitting tighter thus stopping the leak. Silicone lubricant (not caulk) would have the same effect.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #11

You just have to be careful not to make it too tight or you'll crack the plastic nut.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #12

Sadly the teflon tape didn't work. Been out using the trailer for the past nine days. Not only the hot water connection for the outside shower which is under the sink in the bathroom in my 23RB, but also had some leaking up at the connections for the sink it self.

I have a day scheduled for the dealer, but I'm going to have to change it. That date is on Thursday and I must have the trailer on Friday to go to the football game. I do not want to chance the repair running over to the next day.

Very frustrating. Had a used (almost new) Koala 21CS for over 3 years, and never had any problem with the plumbing leading. Have a new 2017 23RB since June, have used it extensively since the beginning of September, and the plumbing leaks to the extent I have to use the campground showers.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #13

As vcbice said they have a cone washer in the fitting that you will find at an RV supply. I had the same problem on the supply line for the hot water tank.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #14

What size is the cone washer? The RV repair shop had 3/8" and 1/2" I believe, and they were either hard or soft cones.

Thought I'd ask before I pulled mine apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
As vcbice said they have a cone washer in the fitting that you will find at an RV supply. I had the same problem on the supply line for the hot water tank.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #15

Ok. Got 4 new cone washers at the new General RV Center that just opened up very close to me.

Took the old washer out, and put in a new one. They do not look anything alike. I'll have to take a picture of the old one and post it. It doesn't look like any of the pictures of the washers I've seen on here.

In any case, it seems to have held this week at least. We'll see long term.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #16

I know the washers that I removed on my trailer were pretty deformed and worn. I know the previous owner used the regular antifreeze containing ethanol for winterizing not the propylene glycol, the ethanol is hard on seals and o’ rings .
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #17

my leak in the same area was caused by a cracked fitting in outdoor shower faucet.

very un-nerving to come back to the campsite at night and see a puddle of water from the front door, all along the kitchen cabinets into the bathroom and no obvious source. I ended up having it fixed at the RV shop as I couldn't find the source.

I now turn off the city water faucet, or shut off the pump when we leave for the day.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #18

The only other water leak I had was a deformed fitting at the water tank gravity fill connection. I deduced the source of the leak since I only found water under the sink after I filled the water tank prior to our boondock trips.

I have been leak free since. (knock on wood)
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
To look for hard to find water leaks in plumbing systems, use air and you'll hear where it is leaking.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote