Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

2nd trip out, and a leak developed under the bathroom sink.

It seems to be localized on the hot water side. I have a 2017 Jay Flight 23RB.

After hand tightening it as much as possible, it still leaked some, but only when the pump had been on. Once the pump was cut off, and the hot water side of faucet turned on in order to relieve pressure.

I believe the outside shower is on the opposite side of the plumbing. Can I undo the fittings and apply teflon tape, and call it good?

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Yes, definitely. We had 2 hot water lines on our Bungalow come loose at the faucet. Neither had teflon tape. Added teflon tape and both are good.

-Michael

michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

I would rather try to fix it myself than have it sit at the dealer for weeks. Sounds like a simple fix with some teflon tape.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

It's definitely not going back to the dealer for warranty work, even though it is technically a "warranty" item.

1) I need the trailer now, not in a couple of weeks, and 2) Don't want to pull it a 120 miles to have it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would rather try to fix it myself than have it sit at the dealer for weeks. Sounds like a simple fix with some teflon tape.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

Tentatively, I'm calling it good. Put teflon tape on the leaky connection for the hot water side of the outside shower, which is under the bathroom cabinet.

Had the water pump on for about 30 minutes afterwards, and no evidence of leaks. I'll check it again a little later before putting the stuff back under the sink cabinet.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #6

Teflon tape will not fix the problem, the threads are not the seal. The screw fittings have a small cone shaped rubber washer in them. If that is at fault the fitting will still leak.

The leaks like this seem to be a common problem on Jayco's. Ours did it as well. i just had to tighten up the fitting and it has been fine.

Yes, they only leaked in very specific conditions. Run hot water a lot. Shut off faucet. Water heats back up creating higher pressure in the lines. Fitting leaks. Open faucet and no more leak.

You might also check other fittings in your trailer. Some have leaks near the water heater and outside shower. I had one near the outside water connection (near the water pump).
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Site Team

As long as it doesn't leak, I'll not argue why it did. Just check it often for recurrence. It is the same washer and fitting as a residential sink and it will loosen up over time just from bouncing down the road.

Your house would also if you towed it down the road.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #8

So far the teflon tape has seemed to do the job. I'll keep my eye on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Teflon tape will not fix the problem, the threads are not the seal. The screw fittings have a small cone shaped rubber washer in them. If that is at fault the fitting will still leak.

The leaks like this seem to be a common problem on Jayco's. Ours did it as well. i just had to tighten up the fitting and it has been fine.

Yes, they only leaked in very specific conditions. Run hot water a lot. Shut off faucet. Water heats back up creating higher pressure in the lines. Fitting leaks. Open faucet and no more leak.

You might also check other fittings in your trailer. Some have leaks near the water heater and outside shower. I had one near the outside water connection (near the water pump).
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #9

Cut them off and replace them with quality fittings. I had to do it to stop the leak. Bought them at Home depot.
2015 Chevy Silverrado 2500
14,000#/1400 Equal-i-zer 4-way sway bars
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post

I'm thinking the teflon tape on the threads is acting as a lubricant which enables you to get the fitting tighter thus stopping the leak. Silicone lubricant (not caulk) would have the same effect.