Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2023, 07:29 AM   #1

A/C Freezes

I searched, but did not find any threads about this. Our main A/C unit runs fine the first half of the day, then stops cooling by afternoon. If I shut it off for an hour or so and turn it back on, it starts cooling again. I can go on the roof and see a bunch of water streaming out of it, so I'm assuming the evaporator is freezing.

I run the fan on AUTO and HI when the A/C is on. Is there anything else I can do to reduce or eliminate the freezing problem?
Old 03-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #2

Make sure the "freeze sensor" hasn't fallen out of the coil. It is a small white wire with a temp sensor that is pushed into the coil.
Attached Thumbnails
41-0030-2.jpg  
Old 03-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #3

Couple other things to check. Are you running the AC with the filter? When was the filter last cleaned? I clean mine about every 7 days of use. I find if the AC filter is dirty, the air flow is greatly reduced and the coils will freeze.

If you do not have a filter, use your phone camera, and inspect the coils inside the AC, how dirty are they? Just like a dirty filter, dirty coils restrict air flow.

Have you cleaned the outside coils on the roof? If I am around cotton wood trees, that are dropping, I clean the coils once I get back home and way from them. Otherwise, I clean the outside coils every other year. I am always surprised how much dirt comes off of them with the garden hose.

The AC runs very efficiently when both sets of coils are clean, along with a clean filter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrachrispy View Post
I searched, but did not find any threads about this. Our main A/C unit runs fine the first half of the day, then stops cooling by afternoon. If I shut it off for an hour or so and turn it back on, it starts cooling again. I can go on the roof and see a bunch of water streaming out of it, so I'm assuming the evaporator is freezing.

I run the fan on AUTO and HI when the A/C is on. Is there anything else I can do to reduce or eliminate the freezing problem?
Check the other things mentioned and if no go, pull the cover off on the inside and see if the baffle came loose.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:47 AM   #5

Install the RVAirflow insert. Mine froze once and the compressor would cycle for a few seconds then kick back on alot. Once I added the insert the AC blows twice as hard at the vents now and has not once cycled.
ChrisLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote