Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

AC out

(mostly venting here and I thought I had posted before about our AC problem, but must have been the other IRV forum)

Two days into our recent two week outing at a near by Thousand Trails park, finally had enough of the front AC not cooling the front and sweltering in 90 degree heat inside....same as outside temp...been trying for three months to get an appt w/ our selling dealer... no calls back, won't answer email service request or nothing...even went in person two months ago and had to leave # since service manager was "out to lunch", I should have waited...
finally today, had enough, called Jayco and they referred me to another local dealer - dealer actually answered, first time, but service back logged till November they said...ugh, so called the nearest RV on-site service center near us and getting it looked at tomorrow - so fed up with our dealer, and hopefully JAYCO will work with me and cover this under warranty as we just bought this thing new back in Feb. Grrrrr,,,...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
CAG

If you have not already done so I strongly suggest you clear the repair place with Jayco. You may get rejected because you did not get prior clearance.

You may also want to call the AC manufacturers to clear it with them. Chances are Jayco may not need to be involved but better safe.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
(I should have waited...
finally today, had enough, called Jayco and they referred me to another local dealer - dealer actually answered, first time, but service back logged till November they said...ugh, so called the nearest RV on-site service center near us and getting it looked at tomorrow - so fed up with our dealer, and hopefully JAYCO will work with me and cover this under warranty as we just bought this thing new back in Feb. Grrrrr,,,...
Did you call JAYCO back and tell them about backlog? Also have mobile tech talk to JAYCO after diagnosis and before he makes any repairs.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Copy, will do, I just want someone to troubleshoot it with me and if in fact
defective or needs repair, calling Jayco before I do that...but if JAYCO want do anything, I still have to get this thing working before we go full-time in two months.

Thanks for the replies!
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #5

So mobile tech said AMP draw about 4 amps lower on the "not good AC" unit than the good one that's in the bed room....compressor is kicking on for sure, but
air coming out is not cool after all, basically matches outside air temp... only cool air is coming from back AC...I shut
that one off so it wouldn't be mixing air with the front ac in the ducted system...
still trying to get dealer to get me in, else probably buy another AC to replace it once they become available.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

So, the guy just amps both compressors ? Did he add a line tap & check pressures/temps , look for refrigerant leak ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #7

Nope, that's all he said he could do...didn't get on the roof.... I looked several times at the AC with the shroud off, and don't see any evidence on leaks, or icing up...when I get back out there this weekend, I plan to look at it again.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:44 PM   #8

Well what the heck? I’d be pretty upset if a “mobile tech” didn’t even go on the roof and check for obvious problems and leaks.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

If you are still under warranty and it's a Coleman, call Coleman directly. Jayco doesn't get involved with an AC repair. I had the vertical fan go out in my bedroom AC and it wouldn't blow cool air. Called Coleman per Jayco instructions and their nearest service center was over 300 miles away from where we were camping. They told me to get a mobile tech out which I did. Coleman shipped them a new fan unit. They had it in a few days, came out and installed it and the AC was back to normal blowing cold air. The best part about it is that the repair service dealt directly with Coleman. I didn't shell out one penny. Very pleased with the way Coleman handled it.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
If you are still under warranty and it's a Coleman, call Coleman directly. Jayco doesn't get involved with an AC repair.
It must depend on the day of the week or the TECH. When our's went out at FT. WILDERNESS we had to go through JAYCO. Coleman wouldn't work directly with the TECH.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It must depend on the day of the week or the TECH. When our's went out at FT. WILDERNESS we had to go through JAYCO. Coleman wouldn't work directly with the TECH.
Grumpy, ours went out the early part of this past May and I called Jayco first and that's when they told me I had to contact Coleman.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #12

YAY, finally got dealer service dept to call me back after calling off and on for four months...have an appointment next week....will hopefully get the AC replaced, wall bulge fixed, bed slide fixed, and see if can at least get a good deal on 3rd AC knowing that Coleman-Mach ACs are not readily available...we'll see what actually gets done...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)