Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

AC tripping 30A breaker, but not trailer breaker

Hi,
I started having an issue with my AC. Nothing is turned on except the AC and the 30A campsite breaker gets tripped but the 15A AC breaker in the trailer remains on. The fan on the AC unit runs fine but as soon as I set it to cool the campsite breaker goes. Anyone have any insight as to what could be happening?
Thanks

2009 Jayco H19

Old 07-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

There is "in-rush" current when the condenser in your AC starts. This in-rush current is tripping the worn out breaker on the pedestal.

Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Most likely a bad breaker in the campground pedestal. You should carry a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter cable so you can plug into the 50 amp outlet (if there is one). This would use a different set of breakers. Also, often the 30 amp outlets are worn and loose so having the capability of going to the 50 amp outlet can save a headache.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

Sounds like a weak CG circuit breaker, and or a bad outlet. They do go bad, as they are used and abused. Talk with the CG, they should send oit an electrician, if they have one.

I have used my 50 to 30 amp adapter, because of this exact issue.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

Those breaker at the campsites get turned off and on so many times by us campers, they eventually have to be replaced. They are mechanical so, flipping them off and on enough will wear them out and make them more prone to tripping. Also, heat will trip a (weak/worn) breaker more quickly. You may see that more in the high temp areas we camp in.

Not applicable to us as campers but, under extreme conditions (lab tests I've participated in), we could watch a brand new breaker under a mild load trip when applying an open flame (torch) to it. Fun times when that is/was your line of work.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Those breaker at the campsites get turned off and on so many times by us campers, they eventually have to be replaced. They are mechanical so, flipping them off and on enough will wear them out and make them more prone to tripping. Also, heat will trip a (weak/worn) breaker more quickly. You may see that more in the high temp areas we camp in.

Not applicable to us as campers but, under extreme conditions (lab tests I've participated in), we could watch a brand new breaker under a mild load trip when applying an open flame (torch) to it. Fun times when that is/was your line of work.
Yep.. at one campground I worked at, an old campground, on a very hot day we had a ton of issues with main breakers tripping Problem was the main panel was located on the west side of the building in direct sunlight...behind the panel was a room filled with all the condenser's from several walk in freezers plus multiple AC units. I had to hold bags of Ice on the breakers to keep them from tripping, while others went around asking folks to use only one AC for the next hour...till the sun went down and it cooled off. Heat is typically how the breakers operate.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #7

Had the same issue when we checked in yesterday, campground replaced the breaker and no problem since.