Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

Adjust air flow for Furnace output

Best I can tell is the furnace in my 2014 white hawk has one flex hose going thru the wall to feed a wall vent in the bedroom AND another that goes into the floor ducts in the main cabin. On a trip south a couple weeks ago, discovered that with the furnace as our only heat source, the bedroom was many degrees higher than the main room. The airflow from the bedroom outlet was robust while the flow from the floor ducts was minimal. With 2 floor registers and one or more holes in the bottom of the duct to send heat down to warm the tanks underneath, I suspect that the flow from the furnace is the same as in the bedroom but is spread over many more output points thus the air flow from the floor registers is low.

Has anyone found a way to restrict some of the flow going to the bedroom so that more will be pushed out to the floor registers? The wall outlet in the bedroom can be rotated to direct air in any directions, but there is not way to close or restrict the flow. I stuffed a towel in front of the bedroom outlet and that seemed to help. Wanting to replace the oem round bedroom outlet with something similar that can be adjusted.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #2

Lots of adjustable round vents out there, not sure of the size you need but here is a link to one at etrailer. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...10-3351VP.html
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Lots of adjustable round vents out there, not sure of the size you need but here is a link to one at etrailer. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...10-3351VP.html
yup.. you can also get floor registers that are adjustable.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

While waiting for the adjustable vents you could just cover part of the vent that is supplying too much heat. This would cause more air to flow into the vents that are fully open. Just as in a home you need to balance your system to get the correct airflow.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #5

Thanks, will be looking at the adjustable vents
Old 01-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Bassdogs, be sure to check if the problem vent has no kinks or is flattened. There has to be a balance in pressure and return air for the furnace to work proper and not kicking out often on high limit.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #7

One thing that helped me with this same type of issue was to call Jayco and get the drawing that shows the path of the heating ducts. It allowed me to narrow down where the kink might be.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Site Team

I have had this issue in my bathroom in both my trailers, too much heat in a small space. It will roast you in there lol. So I leave the doors open so heat comes out into the other rooms . It also has an AC duct which is not needed IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

My adjustable flow replacement vent is scheduled to be delivered today and it should be installed by dark since it is and easy swap with the OEM vent. It will allow me to reduce or completely shut off heat to the bedroom as needed. I will also be checking out the hose feeding the underfloor duct and use a mirror to inspect the duct. To do this, I will place a light in the farthest opening and looking with the mirror from the one closest to the furnace. The hose feeding the floor ducts is visable in the furnace enclosure under the panty / water heater cabinet. I am suspecting that the problem will be fixed with the new adjustable vent in the bedroom.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I have had this issue in my bathroom in both my trailers, too much heat in a small space. It will roast you in there lol. So I leave the doors open so heat comes out into the other rooms . It also has an AC duct which is not needed IMO.
Good point. I leave all the doors open too when running the furnace (or AC for that matter). It seems to help the temp equalize throughout the rig.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Site Team

Also make sure all outside hatch doors are closed or you will lose your conditioned air.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #12

Update. Upon further inspection both flex hoses that drop into the floor are feeding the floor registers in the main cabin. One only has a 5' run that terminates in the closest register. #2 appears to run further to the passenger side and goes to the back of the cabin and connects to the rear register. I'm guessing that hose #2 must have a port that fees some heat into the tank area. Investigating under the shower I discovered a 3 output hose that comes off the back side of the furnace and is not visible from the service opening. There is actually a 2nd wall vent that splits off hose #3 on its way to the front bedroom. The smaller hose splits off an goes to a vent under the base of the shower. There is very little airflow out of that vent because Jayco ran the hose under the shower drain pipe AND 2 pex water lines that have smashed the hose to about 20% capacity at best. Only way to fix would be to relocate either the water lines or the heater hose over the top of the drain. Problem is this is all happening about 2 feet back under the shower base. Will have to think thru before jumping in to that fix.

With the 3d hose output [2 wide open feeding the front cabin and subfloor] I am no longer worried about dampering the bedroom vent. I think I have probably increased the air flow into the front cabin by at least 50% so I happy.