Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2022, 04:45 AM   #1

Advice on 85 Jayco

So, resurrection or not is the question?

Family has an 85 Jayco. 25 footer, rear bathroom, Ford build. It has pretty much sat since my dad passed in 2000. Mom didn't know how to maintain it and neither did I really.

Tried to keep it covered but tarps tended to disintegrate in the Cali sun within short time and the city doesn't allow RVs to be covered with semi permanent structures, only hidden behind fence slats which don't hide anything (I know, they're idiots).

It has been in the driveway, gets lots of sun so I've not found any mildew. Was made well for the time. Boasted being able to hold an entire football team on the roof/etc. Generally it has been weathered a little but still holding. Needs some external lights done due to plastic caps falling apart. No idea on the engine. I know the generator went out on it a long time ago. Tires lost air at some point. I pumped them up recently and they do hold air again but they certainly look old.

Last run it took was back in the late 90s and in a heavy ran. There was a water leak in the back wall by the bed. Never found where and it never leaked again in the same spot. Possibly from underside being kicked up?

Aside from some of the wallpaper film coming off in spots, the interior is in good shape. Needs new curtains. Been bleached with the sunlight. Mostly my mom just used it or storage.

Currently, looking to do something with it. Wife wants to get a newer RV. I'm looking at cost vs fixing the old 85. Though I do realize it is likely a lost cause at this point due to the years. Either way we gotta get it out of the drive way.

I know I could get a mechanic out to work on it on site. What other issues would I also need to consider? Doing my research as best I can before deciding. Appreciate any wisdom other owners have on here.
Squidslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

Think with your head & not with your heart.
Leaks don't heal themselves so that's 1st problem. Then tires, batteries, fluids, brakes, etc.. $ add up quickly. It's 36/37 yrs old & not ran/moved in 21 yrs. I don't know anything about cal emissions rules so that could get real ugly Dollar wise.
me, time to send to scrap yard & put your $ towards a newer maintained rv but with enough money it's fixable, big budget needed.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #3

You might offer it as is, where is but since it won't run and towing is iffy?

Better yet, a dealer might take it in trade and give you a thousand and then get rid of it for you.

20 some years of sitting, almost certainly not worth saving.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #4

As a person who like ultra old cars, I look at things a bit differently. It is much easier to sell a vehicle that is running verses dead. this also allows you to get top dollar for it. Suspect this is even more true for an old MH.

It sounds like it was parked in running condition, so it should be fairly easy to get back up and running. My concern always is the fuel. Some people will try to start an old vehicle with whatever is in the tank. I do not like doing that, as you can pick up a lot of crude, plug the fuel pump, jets in the carb, etc. This could cause more work. So bypassing the fuel tank could be beneficial on an initial startup.

Do some research on the drive train, An '85 I suspect might still have a carbonator, which will be fairly easy to deal with. It might need a full rebuild, might not, but it is not a hard job.

Start off talking with friends and coworkers, to determine if any are backyard grease monkeys. (hot rodders, classic car guro, etc) You might find some really good resources.

Any old fuel in the tank and lines is junk (a plus it is not ethanol based fuel), Need to drain, and flush, and a new fuel filter, maybe a fuel pump. That and a battery might get you up and running. You can bypass the tank and fuel lines for an initial startup. Would not surprise me if the distributor and plug wires would need to be replaced.

If you can get it running, then a complete fluid replacement will be required. I would only check for oil and coolant before the initial test start unless there is a puddle stain under the MH.

If you cannot get it running I would not invest anything more than a good cleaning to convince a potential buyer that is was kept up and is in nice condition. If you can get it running, it needs new tires before going anywhere, and complete fluid changes.

If you can get it road worthy, take it on a couple short distance campouts with the family, see how much you like glamping. As you are out and about with it, keep a for sale sign in the window.

FYI, water is the arch enemy of all campers. Before going out where it can get wet, make sure to go over every exterior joint and check the caulking and reseal as needed. FYI, do not use silicone caulk (ask what to use).

Good Luck,This sounds like a fun project. If you were closer, I would stop by and give you a hand.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As a person who like ultra old cars, I look at things a bit differently. It is much easier to sell a vehicle that is running verses dead. this also allows you to get top dollar for it. Suspect this is even more true for an old MH.

It sounds like it was parked in running condition, so it should be fairly easy to get back up and running. My concern always is the fuel. Some people will try to start an old vehicle with whatever is in the tank. I do not like doing that, as you can pick up a lot of crude, plug the fuel pump, jets in the carb, etc. This could cause more work. So bypassing the fuel tank could be beneficial on an initial startup.

Do some research on the drive train, An '85 I suspect might still have a carbonator, which will be fairly easy to deal with. It might need a full rebuild, might not, but it is not a hard job.

Start off talking with friends and coworkers, to determine if any are backyard grease monkeys. (hot rodders, classic car guro, etc) You might find some really good resources.

Any old fuel in the tank and lines is junk (a plus it is not ethanol based fuel), Need to drain, and flush, and a new fuel filter, maybe a fuel pump. That and a battery might get you up and running. You can bypass the tank and fuel lines for an initial startup. Would not surprise me if the distributor and plug wires would need to be replaced.

If you can get it running, then a complete fluid replacement will be required. I would only check for oil and coolant before the initial test start unless there is a puddle stain under the MH.

If you cannot get it running I would not invest anything more than a good cleaning to convince a potential buyer that is was kept up and is in nice condition. If you can get it running, it needs new tires before going anywhere, and complete fluid changes.

If you can get it road worthy, take it on a couple short distance campouts with the family, see how much you like glamping. As you are out and about with it, keep a for sale sign in the window.

FYI, water is the arch enemy of all campers. Before going out where it can get wet, make sure to go over every exterior joint and check the caulking and reseal as needed. FYI, do not use silicone caulk (ask what to use).

Good Luck,This sounds like a fun project. If you were closer, I would stop by and give you a hand.
Thanks! Just what I was hoping to see. Really appreciate advice from those who work on the oldies. Got a similar situation with a 66 bug that my dad left us. Special model with sunroof and everything. Been garaged. Was going to my brother in law and the grand kids but then he died too back in 19. So it just sits...Better shape than the RV I guess.

Attachment to it for me is not so much. I had lots of good memories in it and I wouldn't mind refurbing it. But, I know time and age with vehicles doesn't always equal cost effective reasoning. My mom still wants to keep it. I really need to get inside and get all the junk out of it and do a better inspection.

It wasn't used on a ton of trips. Used to take it out on the desert and camp back into some of the canyons during the summer. Few other trips besides that. Only maybe one out of Cali. Most just stayed in state. Engine only has about 55k on it I think. At least that was what I remember. Ford Econoline.

Guess one way or another, I need to get someone more mechanically talented out to check. I can do some things but I went more tech than gear. Still can figure stuff out if I check videos. Unless it is a problem that looks to be something better for knowledgeable folks. Last time that was a power steering issue on my Outback. So many screws and opportunity to mess it up. Had to just get a pro for it, heh.

Yeah it's a shame you're up in MN. My sis is up there though, she never wants to come back. People are so much nicer there. I've noticed the same up in WA.

The emissions stuff that pooh mentioned is something I didn't think about. I know they've gotten downright tyrannical with it to get old cars off the road.
Squidslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:52 AM   #6

Foe the beetle, check out the samba.com. Lots of people willing to help. Recently unloaded my 40 year collection of stuff.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote