Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #1

Air Conditioner

Checking our air conditioner for our upcoming hot (weather) trip. Haven’t needed to use it in our past trips. Have 2 lithium 100Ah, 12V batteries and a Victron Multiplus 2000VA. When testing with full batteries, the air conditioner would suddenly stop/turn off for 1-3 seconds then come back on. Is this normal? With installation of batteries and Multiplus by Camping World they had issues and had to get a replacement Multiplus. Am concerned that installation was not totally correct. Thanks!
cherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #2

Are you saying you are trying to run your air conditioning from your batteries and inverter?
Old 06-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #3

Welcome Aboard! What do you have for a camper?

No camper out of the factory that I am aware of has an AC unit that will run off of the batteries. Campers with onboard generators can run the AC unit when not connected to shore power.

There is one member who has installed a large lithium battery bank and a large inverter that will let him run the AC for a few hours.

I am not familiar with "Multiplus", quick google search and it looks like an inverter, charger, and can work like a UPS (interesting). Without looking at the system closer, my first two thoughts. One, when you power it up as a UPS, it sees the 120V power as inbound power, so it shuts down as it thinks shore power has been restored. The next item I would consider is the AC starter. There is a huge electrical load when a motor starts. You maybe overloading the unit. If that is the case adding a softstart to the AC unit should help.

Do you know what size Multiplus they installed?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote