Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Air Conditioner Works on High, But Not Low

Hello, I have a 2016 287BHSW. Over the 4th of July weekend my A/C decided to stop working on the low setting. High Cool still works fine. Both the low fan settings and low cool are affected. When set at low cool, all I hear is a humming noise from the A/C unit (compressor maybe?). On Low Fan, there is nothing.

Has anyone had this problem? It seems odd that the fan works just fine on high, but not low. My trailer is parked in a seasonal spot, so I'd rather not tow it in for warranty work if I can fix it myself...
mohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Could just be a loose wire between the thermostat and the control box in the a/c.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

I have a 2015 26BHS and last time we were out the low fan speed went out on me as well. I haven't looked at it as the high was working. I know if I turned on the low speed fan with AC off it doesn't work, but high does. I can't recall off the top of my head if I have the AC on and fan low if it works, but I want to say it doesn't.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

Low fan does not work.

I am having the exact same issue. 2016 267BHSW
Anybody have any luck?
Craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #5

Out in the trailer again this week. Low speed doesn't work with AC on or off. Switching the fan on low does nothing. Switching on Auto w/ fan speed low and sliding the temp on you can hear AC cut on and hum, but the fan doesn't cut on.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

I checked out the wiring behind the thermostat and it appears solid. Control board has soldered wires that then have the cap twists. there is then a run up to a control box located above the air filter/intake. all the wires seem well connected. Next I guess I'd have to check voltage on the wire(s), but I'm not sure which one would be low fan speed.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
VKC

My 2018 29MV is at the shop now for the same thing
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #8

In cars there is a big resistor that is used for coming up with the different speds of the A/C / Heat blower motor. If certain speeds just stop working it is usually this resistor that is the problem.

I don't know if camper A/C blowers work the same way, but could be. If you find any sites that sell parts for it see if there is anything called a blower motor resistor.
Nathan48035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
VKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan48035 View Post
In cars there is a big resistor that is used for coming up with the different speds of the A/C / Heat blower motor. If certain speeds just stop working it is usually this resistor that is the problem.

I don't know if camper A/C blowers work the same way, but could be. If you find any sites that sell parts for it see if there is anything called a blower motor resistor.
I had everything checked and it ended up being the thermostat
Old 08-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
VKC

I had everything checked out and it ended up being the thermostat
Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #11

Wow, I would not have guessed that the thermostat would prevent one speed from working. Good to know though. Will have to keep that in mind. Glad you got it working.
Nathan48035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #12
VKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan48035 View Post
Wow, I would not have guessed that the thermostat would prevent one speed from working. Good to know though. Will have to keep that in mind. Glad you got it working.
Me either. That would have been a simple back yard fix.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #13

Angry

FIXED 1996 CEILING ac/fan only run on low, not high. Someone had wired the control knob wrong. 6 pin unless you have a heater # 3 should be empty. # 1 black, # 2 red, #4 purple. Left one pin is live. The high wire was on the heat wire. This did affect the thermostat performance and the motor over heated and shut off on fan only. $1000 later and over 10 hours on the roof. 2 min fix. Grrrr
Whatever is offline   Reply With Quote