Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Annual maintenance

I bought my 21FBS in January and when I read the owner's manual, I had made a list of things to do at least annually....and of course, can't find the list other than one note to clean and condition the rubber roof. So other than oiling or siliconing locks, gaskets, etc., what else should make up my list? (reading that manual was really boring and not what I'd like to do again)
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Since we just purchased a 5 year warranty on our unit and a lot of the "stuff" is based on annual maintenance being performed, I just take my unit in to the dealer annually and have them perform the maintenance and document. That way if I ever have a claim, I know the required maintenance has been performed. If I were a lot younger, I would probably do it myself, but my wife does not want me on the roof or under the unit or etc., etc., etc. so I just take it in and everyone is happy!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

I would add checking that you can get the spare tire out of its storage location and that it is properly inflated.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

EVERYING is an annual maintence and a lot of stuff is every trip!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #5

I guess I feel a need to clarify here. When I posted this question, I was reading the manual for installing a hitch that is supposed to be self-installation but which I'm having done because I wouldn't think of doing it myself. As one of you said, I think about my age, knowledge & skill level, available tools, etc. I was also re-watching videos on it as my appt at a non-Jayco dealer is today. I thought that if there were maintenance items I might ask them about or get them to do, I should find my list.
Now that list didn't include much when I originially read the manuals and brochures because item specific information is in each separate pamphlet and as Tunce said, much of it is done regularly. How many of you actually read all of those items you got with your camper? I did though I didn't understand a lot of it and don't need to, example how to install the referigerator. Us71na gave me exactly the kind of thing I was looking for in that it's something you might not think to do but needs to be done.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

Here is the PDF version of the manual http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...ehawk%20OM.pdf...Using the search feature on the PDF file is much easier that thumbing thru pages of hard copy. I do not see an actual "annual maintenance" list in the manual but suggeted maintenance for before trips and at certain mileage intervals. The latest copy of Trailer Life has an end-of-season maintenance check list that seems pretty good. If I remember, I'll post their recommendation later.

IMO, the Jayco manuals are very vague. The Flight manuals cover too many models and do not go into detail and leave much to the imagination. YouTube and this forum have been way more helpful to me that than the manual.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Here is the PDF version of the manual http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...ehawk%20OM.pdf...Using the search feature on the PDF file is much easier that thumbing thru pages of hard copy. I do not see an actual "annual maintenance" list in the manual but suggeted maintenance for before trips and at certain mileage intervals. The latest copy of Trailer Life has an end-of-season maintenance check list that seems pretty good. If I remember, I'll post their recommendation later.

IMO, the Jayco manuals are very vague. The Flight manuals cover too many models and do not go into detail and leave much to the imagination. YouTube and this forum have been way more helpful to me that than the manual.
I read that article in Trailer Life the other night. VERY good article with VERY comprehensive recommendations on annual maintenance. The coolest thing about it IMHO was that the author didn't just list out what to do, he told you basically HOW to do each item safely. I was going to transcribe the article into a check list and have DW laminate it for me (she loves that crap). I already filed the magazine in my bookshelf because I forgot I wanted that list! OOPS! I hope I remember to dig it out!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #8

All of us have different backgrounds and skills. When I retired from being a school principal, I wanted to learn something totally different and using a travel trailer was that (plus I have always loved camping and roaming). I read, researched, asked questions, etc and bought an RPod because my SUV would pull it. That RPod Forum was invaluable to me as I asked questions and learned or as I encountered a problem while on the road. I started to learn especially the people in that forum whose advice was always spot on and that was done in the most patient and sometimes humorous manner. As I've moved over to the Jayco forum since January, I have found you guys to be just as helpful so thank you. I bought the WhiteHawk at an out of town location and was on a six week trip to Florida and used you for help when a window came off the track or when the darn thing would not detach from the ball. So you got me through my maiden voyage.

I am currently making my maintenance list and have done a few of the items. I'm going to see if I can find the list you guys mentioned in Trailer Life.

I am simply hoping that Bedrck46 understands that I am no longer seeking HIS assistance if I ask a question or HIS comments if I try to share my experiences. The fact the HE noted I was a SHE tells me something about HIM. And I'm not going to comment on his comments again because I don't want to be guilty of the syndrome of feeling like if you get the last word in, you must be right.

So I'm headed outside to sit in the sun and add the maintenance of a Hensley hitch to my list. Using it is definitely involving a learning curve!
Old 09-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Site Team

I have cleaned up what I thought was some disrespectfull and not helpful post to this thread.

The OP asked a simple question so lets try to keep post helpful.

Thank you.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

Here's a link to some suggested maintenance schedules for trailers and motorhomes.
<title>RV Maintenance Schedules for new and used RVs
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I agree completely. You'd be better off looking on YouTube

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #12

I agree, when it comes to the manual, it's not very helpful for maintenance!

Our dealer included a list of maintenance items with the documentation for the trailer. In addition they covered a lot during the PDI. They also have occasional free seminars on things like winterizing. Using resources like this, and things others have mentioned you can build your own list.

Keep in mind too that some things may be specific to features your trailer has. For example we have a small slide out which has it's specifics, and being a hybrid, we have the bed seals to maintain.

Quite honestly I don't find there is much more to do annually than what you already mentioned, and winterizing/de-winterizing. I would also add checking all seals (windows, doors, roof, cord receptacle, running lights, etc.) for dryout and/or cracks. Checking the spare should be done before every trip.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote