Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I am surprised jayco didn't want the rim back wonder if it is a known issue. I had some suspension parts that I got from dexter they were really interested in getting the old parts back told me it was to learn wtf happened paid for all the shipping.
I originally was referring to the cracked rims from Jayco. 3-4 broken rims is something as a manufacture I would want to maybe look at... unless I already knew what was the issue.

Glad to hear that Hi Spec hooked you back up on a replacement with no issues.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #62

As far as I can tell our rim incident is isolated and not a wide spread issue.

When contacting Jayco they did agree easily to replace the original rims without hesitation, I just assumed it was great customer service by Jayco.

I was somewhat surprised they did not want the rims back too but I took good pictures and submitted them to Jayco and like most vendor products that are "Made in China" they do not want the returns.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #63
Site Team

Another Cracked Rim

I had a cracked rim a few years back. They did not want the old rim back.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #64

I was thinking about getting some sweet aluminum rims for the TT but I think maybe I'll just be happy with the steel ones. If they get rusty I'll sandblast them and send them out for powder coating.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #65
ADK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I have always wondered if aluminum is a good material to make a wheel out of; aluminum seems much more likely to crack when bent a bit than steel. That said, the wheels on my last two trucks - which towed fifth wheels - have been aluminum and there have been no wheel issues.
Some aluminum is better than others. 2007 & earlier Ford superdutys all had forged AL, where as the newer models mostly have cast AL. My understanding is that the forged is better, but more expensive. Most after market wheels are cast.

2022 F350 7.3 CCLB SRW
2014 264BH
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Some aluminum is better than others. 2007 & earlier Ford superdutys all had forged AL, where as the newer models mostly have cast AL. My understanding is that the forged is better, but more expensive. Most after market wheels are cast.
Forged anything is better than cast. The reason is that the forging process realigns the grain structure of the metal resulting in a much stronger finished product. Also castings often contain porosity and inclusions (core or mold sand, slag, etc.) that weaken the metal.

This concludes your Metallurgy 101 lesson for the day. Strength of Materials was another one of my favorite courses in college, calculating cutting and shearing forces, etc. was fun.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Forged anything is better than cast. The reason is that the forging process realigns the grain structure of the metal resulting in a much stronger finished product. Also castings often contain porosity and inclusions (core or mold sand, slag, etc.) that weaken the metal.

This concludes your Metallurgy 101 lesson for the day. Strength of Materials was another one of my favorite courses in college, calculating cutting and shearing forces, etc. was fun.
LTS......that is code for those that understand

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote