Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #41

We moved today to Jacksonville FL (approx. 175 miles), no problems with the new wheels.

As I was driving over I was thinking about any common tread with the cracked rims.
One thing I thought of was both times I found the cracked wheels it was at the same Campground.
Do not know if it has something to do with that CG, when entering you almost have to make a U-Turn across quite a large crown in the road.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #42

We have a 2011 Pinnacle 36RETS, and our wheel weights are similar. Last time we weighed, trailer weight was 15,650lbs. We just recently replaced the original Sendel T03 wheels with HiSpec 17.5 wheels and H-rated tires, and I have the original wheels, with the tires removed, in our cargo bay.

On close inspection, I don't see any signs of cracking. We have put about 25,000 miles on our Pinnacle. We are fulltimers. We have, on occasion, maneuvered into tight CG spots, so the stresses seen by our wheels are probably similar. Possibly, it was a bad batch out of production which resulted in four wheels cracking.

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by huronwoods View Post
We have a 2011 Pinnacle 36RETS, and our wheel weights are similar. Last time we weighed, trailer weight was 15,650lbs. We just recently replaced the original Sendel T03 wheels with HiSpec 17.5 wheels and H-rated tires, and I have the original wheels, with the tires removed, in our cargo bay.

On close inspection, I don't see any signs of cracking. We have put about 25,000 miles on our Pinnacle. We are fulltimers. We have, on occasion, maneuvered into tight CG spots, so the stresses seen by our wheels are probably similar. Possibly, it was a bad batch out of production which resulted in four wheels cracking.
Our weights are similar and towed mileage similar, we thought about going to the 17.5" Tires and Rims but stayed with the 16" Wheels with "G" Rated tires.

We are looking at moving up to a Curt Hitch Q24 (replacing our 10 year old 16K Husky due to wear and some rust), any thoughts, comments or opinions on the Curt Hitch?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #44

Rob we have the Curt Q24 and it does a great job.

Sorry to hear about your rim problems and will continue to monitor ours.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #45

Have you contacted Jayco about the other two cracked rims? They might also step up to the plate on these as well. Good to hear that they are taking responsibility for the second one, even if out of warranty.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
Have you contacted Jayco about the other two cracked rims? They might also step up to the plate on these as well. Good to hear that they are taking responsibility for the second one, even if out of warranty.
I have sent them pictures and info on the other two cracked rims, have not heard anything back from Jayco via phone or email.
There may be something in the mail from them, have not seen our mail for a few weeks, will get mail updated from our daughter next week.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #47

Update

Jayco has stepped up even though we are a couple of month out of factory warranty.

Got email confirmation today Jayco is processing reimbursement for 3 of the 4 rims I bought when I replaced the 3 cracked rims with heavy duty rims from a Hi Spec Wheel.

Now in my book, that is taking care of the customer.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #48

Update on our Cracked Rim issue.

We have now made two trips with new rims, one trip to Jacksonville FL, one trip to Atlanta GA, no problems

Jayco did step up (with us approx. 2 months out of our 2 year warranty) and covered the cost of the 3 cracked rims, received check from Jayco today.

Sold all 4 of the old rims to the recycle facility, total out of pocket cost for the replacement / upgrade to the heavy duty rims was approx. $50, we are happy campers.

Now we are set for our Spring Trip starting next week that will take us from our home base to Ft Lauderdale, FL to Baltimore, MD then Los Angles, CA.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #49

Glad to hear everything is good now Rob. Threads like this is what makes this a great site. If this was on another site (we wont mention) there would have been so much bashing and mud slinging.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #50

Wow Rob, $50 is amazing. And I agree that Jayco really stepped to the plate for you. A question about the CG with the high crown. Could it have been high enough to cause one of the wheels to lift as you were climbing onto or off the crown? Wondering if having all the weight for a side on a single wheel could exceed the wt limit on it. Jus thinking............
Oh yeah, I think your new wheels look great.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Wow Rob, $50 is amazing. And I agree that Jayco really stepped to the plate for you. A question about the CG with the high crown. Could it have been high enough to cause one of the wheels to lift as you were climbing onto or off the crown? Wondering if having all the weight for a side on a single wheel could exceed the wt limit on it. Jus thinking............
Oh yeah, I think your new wheels look great.
I do not know, anything is possible, I have thought about the cause quite a bit, but I am sure glad to have the new rims before heading out West !!!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #52

Rob, good to hear Jayco stepped up even after out of warranty to resolve wheel issue.

Checking wheels is just one of the things we look at before departure.

Safe travels...

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #53
Site Team

This is not a problem with just the OP"s trailer i just purchased my jayco before we had a keystone and there was allot of talk on that forum about cracked wheels

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #54

Wow, I cannot win

Coming through Phoenix AZ this week, our TST Low Pressure Alarm went off showing the Left Rear Tire on our Jayco Pinnacle was showing low pressure.
Verified with a tire gauge, sure enough it was low.
Put Spare Tire on, examined tire and did not see anything in the tire or any issue with the tire.
Stopped by a tire store and had them check the tire, the rim is leaking thru the side of the rim.
Contacted manufacturer of the Hi Spec, Heavy Duty Rims I installed when three of the factory installed Sendel stock rims failed last December.
Hi Spec sent warranty claim paperwork and a picture request.
I filled out the warranty claim paperwork and took the pictures and sent back to them the same day.
I got a response in just a few hours, they are shipping a replacement rim to our current location in California. Great customer service!!
I am baffled, I do not abuse the tires / wheels by hitting curbs and run all pressure and weights well within the specified range and always balance our tires.

Robert

Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #55

I have always wondered if aluminum is a good material to make a wheel out of; aluminum seems much more likely to crack when bent a bit than steel. That said, the wheels on my last two trucks - which towed fifth wheels - have been aluminum and there have been no wheel issues.

Maybe trailer wheels which flex so much side to side as a trailer is maneuvered are just not appropriate for aluminum; perhaps especially so as the assembling company of a trailer looks for ways to save cost.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

Maybe trailer wheels which flex so much side to side as a trailer is maneuvered are just not appropriate for aluminum; perhaps especially so as the assembling company of a trailer looks for ways to save cost.
I am going to agree with this and go one step further to possibly link the G rated sidewalls as being another component. If you take the history of the issues and when they started there might be a correlation between the two. If you look at your tires under a backing turn or hard corner it's a sight to say the least. That said at 110 PSI those tires are going to flex very little so it's got to give somewhere.

At least your having good customer service experiences under these conditions.

I can't wait to test out my "Blow max" tires this season! Seriously looking at the Saliun's

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #57

I'm glad to hear you are getting good customer service Rob. You definitely have had more than your share of problems with wheels. I love my TST system as well as I'm sure you do.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #58

Wow, Rob_Fla....hopefully just a freak production flaw...
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #59

I am surprised jayco didn't want the rim back wonder if it is a known issue. I had some suspension parts that I got from dexter they were really interested in getting the old parts back told me it was to learn wtf happened paid for all the shipping.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #60

The replacement rims I bought direct were from Hi Spec wheel, I did not go through Jayco but Jayco did send me a reimbursement check for the replacement rims.

Hi Spec stepped up and shipped a new rim to me in California and sent return label for the defective rim to be shipped back.

Great customer service from both Jayco and Hi Spec Wheel Co.