Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Antenna Will Not Turn

Our t.v. antenna has stopped turning for fine tuning and locating signals. I had to go up on the roof to manually turn it back to its parallel position so I could lower it. Other than lubing the plastic gear, is there some maintenance required for the rotating base?

Is it worth the effort, or is it best to upgrade to a better model? Ours is the base Winegard model - not a real sturdy piece of equipment.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

There is a second lube point beneath the rubber plug at the base.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Here is a thread from another forum that pretty much explains it. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wineg...nce-98159.html

I have received good service and signals from these type antennas for many years with very little maintenance other than lubrication.

Are you pulling the large ring down enough and holding it out while turning the antenna?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Here is a thread from another forum that pretty much explains it. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wineg...nce-98159.html

I have received good service and signals from these type antennas for many years with very little maintenance other than lubrication.

Are you pulling the large ring down enough and holding it out while turning the antenna?
Yes, we are pulling the down as we turn. It worked fine until this last trip when it stopped turning. I will work with the lube advice and info. Thank You!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Good, I hate to insult you with a simple question.

Make sure you have a parts break down if you take it apart from below. It is pretty straight forward. Could be just a set screw loose.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Good, I hate to insult you with a simple question.

Make sure you have a parts break down if you take it apart from below. It is pretty straight forward. Could be just a set screw loose.
No insult taken at all - appreciate the help! You never know, right.
I actually became familiar with the assembly as it all fell into my hands while I was raising the antenna. The handle set screw was loose. I put it all back together - very simple. But the unit will not rotate on the roof mounted base. So I will service the lube points and see where that gets me. I think I would still like a bit more substantial product, if there is such a thing. The plastic "gears" and handle assembly are really subpar. It would great if I could use the existing base mounted on the roof for a better built model. I do not want to fool with the seals. If I cannot replace it with a better design, then I will make do and handle it with care - it is fairly fragile. It does seem to do a decent job with reception.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

Many owners have replaced the factory installed Winegard with one of the King antennas such as this one;
https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8200-A.../dp/B004VF48YO
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

Watch this video.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Many owners have replaced the factory installed Winegard with one of the King antennas such as this one;
https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8200-A.../dp/B004VF48YO
That's exactly what we did. Replaced with a king Jack Antenna which was supposed to be superb. Don't get as many channels as we did with the old Winegard. However, it is just a backup anyway, as we use Direct TV.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #10

The only problem I have ever had with my standard Winegard crank-up Antenna was a loose set screw on the bottom side...

Since my OFF-ROAD POPUP antenna install is up on a short pole verses mounted through a hole in the roof I got to to do some experiments with different type of antennas. This was back when the LOW VHF frequency was still being used. By far the best antenna for me was the $90 very long LOWES YAGI antenna but it didn't last long from installing and tearing down for each trip. It certainly pulled in the signals however... It also hit alot of trees being rotated at the camp sites... I used the BATWING style with and without the added dipoles on the front of it and also installed one of the King JACK antennas. Both the JACK and the BATWING picked up the signals about the same but the using the King JACK antenna had to be zero'd in on the transmitter very precise sometimes... The BATWING sometimes had disruptions when aircraft were flying high overhead... I even tried one of the multiple flat arrays with bowties elements which was the overall best antenna for very long distance. This type antenna really had to most accurate when pointing at the distant transmittiing antenna from the local towns.. It also would not have lasted long having to put up and take down for each trip.

It turned out for me the Winegard BATWING antenna worked out the best. Mine is the style that has the added dipoles out front like in this google photo...

google image

My install using an outside pole up th side of my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer looks like this...

The best antenna for me would be the eight section BowTie type array if you could solve the install and take down problem..

Google image

The hideaway push up antenna and any of the close to the roof mounted antennas that Winegard and Jack makes are a waste of good money in my opinion... I see alot of the newer Winegard Onmi type antenna mounted close to the roofs that look like a small space round disk... They got to have poor long range reception...

google image

In my book the Winegard crank-up BATWING dipole antenna is about as good as you can get. Here in Northern Neck Virginia where I park my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer in my backyard I get to view both the Washington DC and Richmond VA OTA HDTV stations. These are both around 50-60 miles away... I use the eight section BOW-TIE array on my house. It is superb there for me picking up over 100 HDTV channels depending where I point it at... My best PLAN-B for the house when we lose our 120vAC power grid and the cable TV system goes off....

These are just my comments and I'm sure others out there will have different opinions... I just know what works best for me...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #11

I could tell Roy had a ham license 4 sentences into that post, great advise.

73's
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote