Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryintoretire View Post
snip...
The doors are in the center and I would only move laterally during longer storage storage periods to make room for projects. Building is not long enough for a lot of jockeying

So if you don't move it sideways, you can't do the 'projects'? Or is it that moving it would give you a bit more room?

Have you considered backing the trailer in on an angle?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #22

I'm figure tryintoretire has already considered a larger door, moving the door, moving the building, etc and none of those options worked or sliding it sideways wouldn't be considered.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #23

Players z28 had hit all the right assumptions thanks I’ll get back when i use all ideas To deal with what I got .
Tryintoretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #24

I saw something a long time ago on something similar to what you're talking about doing, but it was for automobiles, not full size fifth wheels. Go to you tube and search for park and slide. I think that's something along the lines of what you want to be able to do. On a side note, about 40 years ago I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB in North Dakota. My Dad and another guy came up to pick up a brand new bus from MCI for the company he worked for. I went to the plant with them and got a tour of the facility. The have dollies to move full size tour buses around the plant from one work station to the next until the bus if completely assembled. If it can be done with a full size tour bus, it can be done with a fifth wheel.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #25

I've done half of this project - on gravel (I had to lay down 3/4" plywood) - all to maximize the amount of space in front of the 5th wheel of our seasonal camp site that is surrounded by large boulders and seriously limits the amount of jockeying I can do with the truck. In my case, I left the 5th attached to the truck and used it as a pivot point.

If you weigh your rig, you'll know what weight the tires are carrying as well as the kingpin. Size your car dollies accordingly - and your welding table on casters sounds feasible - however, I'd weigh the table down with something simulating the kingpin weight for a trial.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #26

Our barn builder made a minor MAJOR mistake
I now have a barn with entree threshold 24” above grade.
What kind of concrete /gravel ramp do I need to fit into the 14’ door opening?
How far out do I need to grade to fit into doorway ? The HVAC is suppose to be at 13’ 4”
But the angle of entry is bothering me
Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #27

WOW - nothing minor about that mistake. I would think the approach apron/ramp would need to be basically level within a few inches of the barn floor for the length from the back of the trailer to the rear axle of the tow vehicle - that should put the trailer fairly level before it enters the barn door opening. I would go with concrete rather than gravel for that much lift. May have to build retaining walls on each side of the concrete to hold the dirt in that will be used under the concrete to make the approach apron. Any chance you can make the contractor tear it out and redo it correctly at his expense?
La Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryintoretire View Post
Players z28 had hit all the right assumptions thanks I’ll get back when i use all ideas To deal with what I got .
As far as the sideways maneuvering, you could try a using an air cart. Might have to make you own though, but I bet you could find six small ones to use on concrete to put under the tires and jacks. You would be able to push it around by hand, assuming the floor is level.
blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo View Post
As far as the sideways maneuvering, you could try a using an air cart. Might have to make you own though, but I bet you could find six small ones to use on concrete to put under the tires and jacks. You would be able to push it around by hand, assuming the floor is level.
Oops, forgot to give you a sample link I found for one of those carts:

Transport cart / metal / platform / for heavy loads - Aero-Pallets™ - ITS Europe
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cajun View Post
WOW - nothing minor about that mistake. I would think the approach apron/ramp would need to be basically level within a few inches of the barn floor for the length from the back of the trailer to the rear axle of the tow vehicle - that should put the trailer fairly level before it enters the barn door opening. I would go with concrete rather than gravel for that much lift. May have to build retaining walls on each side of the concrete to hold the dirt in that will be used under the concrete to make the approach apron. Any chance you can make the contractor tear it out and redo it correctly at his expense?
Yup, that would be about right, although, depnding on how steep the entry ends up at, you might be able to get away with a little downwards sloping up to the distance from the back of the air conditioner on the roof to the pin of the trailer. That would give you a few less feet to worry about. I know my Aircon, is about a foot higher than the rest of the trailer. If you get past the Aircon, there is a dip in the roof of the trailer until it starts sloping up the front height (tallet part) of the trailer. If you have the front Aircon, then that will be the tight spot to worry about, and the slight slope might even help there, since you can slope the front down while moving into the barn.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #31

Thanks to all.
I have surmised a fairly level approach is the answer,but mathematically I have tried to figure what I needed.also concerns of the rear stabilizer jacks.the unit is a2016 (36FBTS)fifth wheel.
Front Hvac is about 145" from the pin,center of rear axle is 300" to pin,highest part of front HVAC is supposed to be 160"
And he basically claims an honest mistake with little remorse.Shame on me for picking him.Liigation is probrably not an option,we're not geared like that and he probably doesn't have much
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #32

Not sure how a contractor would end up having a building 2' higher in the air than intended. Did it not look odd when it was under construction?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:07 AM   #33

He showed up with equipment to "cut in "slab.this was the first time the level transit was used.and the field drops off more than your first impression.he obviously should have shot grade earlier on.maybe my fault for not intervening earlier.