Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #1

Arctic Package breach

I had to breach the black composite shield that runs under the trailer by cutting a 'door' into it.... to modify a couple things in the cavity.

My question, has anyone any experience using Eternabond to repair that composite? I've tried a number of tapes, all last only a short time and they start to release and that's the end of that fix and the shield hangs down. Since aging (mine) has taken hold, I failed to cut so the opening faced the rear of travel, when it drops, it acts like a very efficient air and road crap scoop.

I know I could fiberglass it using self-stick drywall tape and resin, but I'm not anxious to lay on my back under the trailer to do that job. Picture the goo mess everywhere.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #2

Did you try GORILLA TAPE? If that didn't work go for the Eternabond and hope you don't have to reopen it. Or just use the Eternabond on the end and other tape on the sides.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

I used this to fix a hole in the sheeting on the bottom of my TT when I had to get in there after a leak:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It never came loose while I owned the trailer. But that sheeting is also not Coroplast like what you're dealing with. More like a plastic canvas.

Either way, the tape was pretty substantial.

I would say one of the most important things to getting the tape to stick would be surface preparation. You want it to be SUPER clean regardless of what product you're using on it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned, I use black Gorilla Tape as well and has held up well with 'small' flap type access openings...., clean surface is key.

Larger openings I'll purchase a larger piece of Coroplast that will overlap the opening by about 4", then use some thin wood around the perimeter as a backer (inside the opening) for the cover to screw into.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #5

I suppose I should have gone into more detail as to what has been tried so far. Gorilla tape lasted for 100 miles. Coroplast is a product owned under patent by a company in Denmark...their line of sealing tapes have a max life of 6 months after application and the average of their products is 3 months. This is right off their website. I've use the tape that the guy on TV has in his line up of sealants. Another non starter. The one on Amazon has a failure rate of 20% just based on the reviews. Not good enough for me I guess. I've used butyl tapes, edpm tapes..both are from what we use in roofing applications, mainly metal or flat roof. A couple hundred miles at best. The cleaning agent is similar to PrepSolve, used in body shops to remove everything but the coating itself, prior to painting. No negative effect on the poly film of the coroplast. Several people local to me have been using that plastic board for years building large scale model airplanes and they use a process of heat with a paint removal gun followed by a special CyanoAcrylic super gloo. 3m makes it. Again tho, I can't see laying on my back trying to squirt that into a seam. My luck some will drop and I'll be permanently glued to the driveway....or worse.

I was hoping someone has had first hand experience with the Eternabond under the trailer since that takes a whole different type of beating from using it on roof seams. My plan is to use 3mm luan as a backer with flange screws and cover that with the tape.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #6

I'm not sure if this is the Gorilla tape the above posters are referring too but this tape is amazing. https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-46125...a-568105448326 I have regular gorilla tape on my underbelly and it's held up really well for 4-5 years now but I'm going to replace it with this. It's a permanent seal but you can still cut it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I suppose I should have gone into more detail as to what has been tried so far. Gorilla tape lasted for 100 miles. Coroplast is a product owned under patent by a company in Denmark...their line of sealing tapes have a max life of 6 months after application and the average of their products is 3 months. This is right off their website. I've use the tape that the guy on TV has in his line up of sealants. Another non starter. The one on Amazon has a failure rate of 20% just based on the reviews. Not good enough for me I guess. I've used butyl tapes, edpm tapes..both are from what we use in roofing applications, mainly metal or flat roof. A couple hundred miles at best. The cleaning agent is similar to PrepSolve, used in body shops to remove everything but the coating itself, prior to painting. No negative effect on the poly film of the coroplast. Several people local to me have been using that plastic board for years building large scale model airplanes and they use a process of heat with a paint removal gun followed by a special CyanoAcrylic super gloo. 3m makes it. Again tho, I can't see laying on my back trying to squirt that into a seam. My luck some will drop and I'll be permanently glued to the driveway....or worse.

I was hoping someone has had first hand experience with the Eternabond under the trailer since that takes a whole different type of beating from using it on roof seams. My plan is to use 3mm luan as a backer with flange screws and cover that with the tape.
Yes, knowing that you've tried and eliminated virtually all other possibilities I can think of would have been helpful.

So in this case, why not try the Eternabond; you've really got nothing to lose.

FWIW, Eternabond has been used all over many RVs with great success. One that comes to mind related to your situation is the heat pads on the holding tanks. Many of them have come loose, and many have used Eternabond to make the repair.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote