Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

Atwood water heater hard to light

We have a 2007 Jayco jay flight 25rks. When I try to light the hot water tank it takes a few tries to light it. I turn the switch on and it lights burns for about 2 seconds and goes out. It does this 3 times and then the malfunction light comes on. When I first turn the switch on I can go outsisde open the tank panel and watch the pilot light. It has a nice blue flame with a bit of yellow and goes out. Tried blowing out all the orifaces but same thing. When I turn the switch off and turn it on again it will usually light on the 4th try and stay lit. I have filled and bled the tank. I have tried lighting the stove to purge the system but can't get it to light first try. Do others. Have this issue lighting there heater? It's obviously getting propane as it does light every time it just goes out after a second or 2 every time Until the switch is cycled.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Sounds like either the control card or the pilot light sensor is not working as it is supposed to. First, determine the model number of your heater as you already stated that it is an Atwood. If the electrical schematic is still legible in the heater compartment, look at it (and yes, a magnifying glass is helpful) to determine the model number of the heater. Look at the control board, there should be a LED on it that lights up and flashes when the heater finally faults out. On the schematic, there should be a truth table that translates the flashes to the fault the card is having. Light the unit as normal and allow it to fault. As an example, if the LED flashes like this: On-off-on-off for three to five seconds and cycle repeats, you are looking at a 2 cycle fault code. The truth table would tell you what it means. Some of the faults can be adjusted by the user while others need a replacement items or pressure gages that you will not likely have. Contact the service department with your information and they will be able to tell you a ball park of time, parts and costs if the repair is not in your range of skills.

Cheers!
Chief Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
We have a 2007 Jayco jay flight 25rks. When I try to light the hot water tank it takes a few tries to light it. I turn the switch on and it lights burns for about 2 seconds and goes out. It does this 3 times and then the malfunction light comes on. When I first turn the switch on I can go outsisde open the tank panel and watch the pilot light. It has a nice blue flame with a bit of yellow and goes out. Tried blowing out all the orifaces but same thing. When I turn the switch off and turn it on again it will usually light on the 4th try and stay lit. I have filled and bled the tank. I have tried lighting the stove to purge the system but can't get it to light first try. Do others. Have this issue lighting there heater? It's obviously getting propane as it does light every time it just goes out after a second or 2 every time Until the switch is cycled.
Just a thought...that bit of yellow in the flame may be a clue. Spiders love propane. I had one build a nest in the area near the orifice in the front of my heater. I think I had to take a few things apart before I could even see it. A casual blast of air in the area may not remove it.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Mole View Post
Sounds like either the control card or the pilot light sensor is not working as it is supposed to. First, determine the model number of your heater as you already stated that it is an Atwood. If the electrical schematic is still legible in the heater compartment, look at it (and yes, a magnifying glass is helpful) to determine the model number of the heater. Look at the control board, there should be a LED on it that lights up and flashes when the heater finally faults out. On the schematic, there should be a truth table that translates the flashes to the fault the card is having. Light the unit as normal and allow it to fault. As an example, if the LED flashes like this: On-off-on-off for three to five seconds and cycle repeats, you are looking at a 2 cycle fault code. The truth table would tell you what it means. Some of the faults can be adjusted by the user while others need a replacement items or pressure gages that you will not likely have. Contact the service department with your information and they will be able to tell you a ball park of time, parts and costs if the repair is not in your range of skills.

Cheers!

Wicked!!!! Thank you!!!!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

If cleaning the orifice doesn't work try replacing the flame sensor rod. You can scrub it using a dollar bill. It cleans without being too abrasive leaving big grooves for the propane deposits to stock to.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
If cleaning the orifice doesn't work try replacing the flame sensor rod. You can scrub it using a dollar bill. It cleans without being too abrasive leaving big grooves for the propane deposits to stock to.
Thanks I'll give it a try