Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

Awning out of alignment

My electric awning has shifted either fore or aft and does not align perfectly with the metal casing on the trailer when in the closed position. Any ideas on how to correct the situation?
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Sometimes you can pull it left or right at he roller to square it. If it's looks like it's in the correct spot at the roller tube then you will need to remove the screw that holds it in place at the trac on the trailer and slide left or right to square it. replace screw to hold it in place
Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Normally a simple fabric adjustment along the roller tube will get the awning arms to seat properly when fully retracted.

Here's what I do (electric or manual): This process shouldn't require any fabric adjustments along the fabric rail-trac that's attached to the sidewall of the RV.

Extent the awning fully and place the awning roller tube in it's lowest position (adjust at the arm joint). Using a step ladder (careful here) or stand on picnic table confirm that there aren't any screws placed through the fabric edge-ends into the roller tube (normally there aren't), if there are remove them. You want the fabric to be able move freely within the roller tube slot.

At one end of the roller tube (coin toss which end) grab the fabric flap with one hand and the main fabric with the other, then "tug" the fabric toward you 1/2" -1" along the tube with your body keeping the roller tube from moving during the tugging process. The fabric initially may require an extra "tug" to get it to start sliding within the roller tube slot. If using a ladder have someone hold the ladder.

Stepping down from the ladder re-adjust the awning arms (electric awnings) so the awning tube is in the proper position for closure, then retract the awning to check for arm alignment results. This initial check will confirm which direction (right/left) the awning fabric needs to be "tugged" to correctly align the awning arms. This process may take a couple fabric "tug" visits to one, or both ends of the roller tube.

Once you found the proper fabric location along the roller tube allowing for proper arm alignment for complete awning closure, take a magic marker and place a witness mark on each end of the roller tube next to the fabric edge....., should the arm alignment need attention in the future the magic marker reference will expedite the alignment process.

I've used this process on a number of awnings (mine included) and seems to get the job done.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

Mine's been out of alignment for a couple years, now. I've been tugging on the arm as it closes. It works, but you have to be careful to keep your hand on the OUTSIDE of the arm. Otherwise, you just might loose your fingers. I'm going to have to try your method, Bob, as a semi-permanent solution. Thanks for the very clear instructions!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Screw head broke

If the screws (both ends of my awning have screws) are rusty be careful I turned mine once and the head broke off😬
Prairiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

Thanks

This fixed my awning.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
Site Team

You can make it easier by spraying some silicone in the slot where the awning needs to be moved. Sometimes just a 1/2 inch of movement will cure the problem. That's how a new awning fabric is adjusted to get it straight also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 AM   #8

What I did after tugging seemed to not work was we fully extended the awning and I had my neighbor push the roll back in a bit to relieve tension and I banged on the arm with my fist and it actually slid too far. So after a bit of back and forth we got it where we wanted.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote