Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

Axle identification for grease seal.

Hey all,

I took a picture of the label on my axles to be able to positively identify the axle so I could make sure I have the right replacement parts before I repack my bearings. I wanted to buy a complete kit replacement so I have the bearings, races and grease seals incase any need replacement. However from the part number I am not able to identify the exact axle, it is a Lippert axle and I think it was made specifically for Jayco. It has a rating of 5145 pounds on the axle and the yellow sticker (or other one on the side) shows 5200 pound axles. I have emailed Lippert but have not received any response. I have considered asking Jayco but assume I will get the response to ask Lippert.

So the question I need to ask is there anyway to confirm the axle type without taking the wheels off and physically looking at the bearings and seal. I can do this if needed but I would rather have the parts in hand.

Also if I opted to put in the Timken bearings rather than the generic chinese bearings from the etrailer kit do I need Timken races as well?

Thanks

James
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

The etrailer site actually gives the bearing and seal numbers. You never really can be sure until you get it apart. Bearing and race usually come as a set. I would stick to just one mfgr. Get a good grease too.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #3

If there is a NAPA store near you they can match the seals and get you non Chinese ones.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
Hey all,

I took a picture of the label on my axles to be able to positively identify the axle so I could make sure I have the right replacement parts before I repack my bearings. I wanted to buy a complete kit replacement so I have the bearings, races and grease seals incase any need replacement. However from the part number I am not able to identify the exact axle, it is a Lippert axle and I think it was made specifically for Jayco. It has a rating of 5145 pounds on the axle and the yellow sticker (or other one on the side) shows 5200 pound axles. I have emailed Lippert but have not received any response. I have considered asking Jayco but assume I will get the response to ask Lippert.

So the question I need to ask is there anyway to confirm the axle type without taking the wheels off and physically looking at the bearings and seal. I can do this if needed but I would rather have the parts in hand.

Also if I opted to put in the Timken bearings rather than the generic chinese bearings from the etrailer kit do I need Timken races as well?

Thanks

James

I have the part numbers at home, I’ll get them for you, but it’ll be this evening.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Phyllis View Post
The etrailer site actually gives the bearing and seal numbers. You never really can be sure until you get it apart. Bearing and race usually come as a set. I would stick to just one mfgr. Get a good grease too.
I have heard that red n tacky is a good grease to go with, that is what I was planning to get.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 02-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
If there is a NAPA store near you they can match the seals and get you non Chinese ones.
There is NAPA, and o'Riellys. Given the low milage I do with my trailer (more local short trips then long multi week) I do not expect there to be much wear. I am not adverse to having Chinese one but I do generally try to buy US or UK made stuff.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 02-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I have the part numbers at home, I’ll get them for you, but it’ll be this evening.
That would be awesome I have been thinking about getting the etrailer stuff as it is a reasonable price and I am doing other upgrades at the same time (wet bolts and CRE3000) but I may just bite the bullet and do Timkens at this point, I am honestly not sure but I need to figure it out soon.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 02-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
That would be awesome I have been thinking about getting the etrailer stuff as it is a reasonable price and I am doing other upgrades at the same time (wet bolts and CRE3000) but I may just bite the bullet and do Timkens at this point, I am honestly not sure but I need to figure it out soon.
Lippert 5200# axle bearings 333949
Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200224_081419167.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	56687
This is from the Lippert manual for 5200 lb axles. I can't rotate the picture for some reason. The seal is 010-036-00. If you want Timken bearings, Rock Auto seems to have the best price. The outer bearing(LM67048) and race(LM67010) are listed together as part# SET6. For some reason the inners aren't available together and are 25580 for the bearing and 25520 for the race.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote