Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #1

Bad experience- Parker Trailer & RV

Last night I got a call from my daughter. They were broken down on the highway. The hub of the trailer they bought from Parker Trailer 2 years ago was hot and squealing.

After hours of waiting they got a flatbed to pick it up from the roadside as they were on the way to a local campground for the first campout of the year. Due to other reasons they had not camped or used it since they picked it up. Parker had put on new tires, packed the bearings and checked the brakes. Total 45 miles since picked up.

This morning they found out that the bearing nut was not properly tightened and the hub was toast.

Guess what - Parked said they could have driven it a lot and Parker was not responsible for any of the repair or $175 flatbed charges. Denied it all.

So if you want great after the sale customer service would you use them?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #2

After 2 years, I think that would be any dealers' response. The dealer could also argue that bearings and brakes should be inspected at least annually. If properly inspected, the issue would have been found during the inspection and corrected.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
Site Team

It's still poor customer relations to allow a first time customer to so easily become a last time customer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

Has anyone heard of Good Sam's extended service?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

[QUOTE=michael.g;795008]After 2 years, I think that would be any dealers' response. The dealer could also argue that bearings and brakes should be inspected at least annually. If properly inspected, the issue would have been found during the inspection and corrected.

Sorry, it was purchased 2 years ago but taken in in late July this year for tires and bearings.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

Kind of hard to follow.

So....they bought a trailer (new / used?) from Parker two years ago. Had new bearings and tires installed this past July? And, they say there's no telling how many miles they've driven on the bearings?

Wouldn't the tire wear, or lack of it, indicate that the trailer hasn't been used?

If those are the circumstances, then I can see why you wouldn't use them again, and why you're here warning others.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Sorry, it was purchased 2 years ago but taken in in late July this year for tires and bearings.
That's a different situation. You & your daughter have the right to be upset. The dealer should step up and make repairs.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #8

UPDATE on why the hub failed.

MY son in law had the trailer flat bed towed to a local trailer repair (NOT RV) place as all the local RV shops were weeks out just to look at it. The owner saw it come in and popped it onto a lift. He called a few minutes later and informed us that Parker RV put the WRONG SIZE BEARINGS on the hubs and both sides are chewed up. Will need a complete new axel and hub. He was surprised it would last 50 miles.

Great thing is our 5 year old grandson was the one to tell parents he heard squeaking from the trailer. Trailer repair guy said they were not far from losing the whole hub and dragging the trailer on the ground when they stopped. Could have caused a serious accident on the busy highway.

UPDATE to the Update. After non RV trailer place called Parker is towing it back to their shop for repair. Nothing about $175 towing fees, lost registration fees at campground or lost weekend. Not even sure they will fix it or fix it right. I will update as news comes in.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
UPDATE on why the hub failed.

MY son in law had the trailer flat bed towed to a local trailer repair (NOT RV) place as all the local RV shops were weeks out just to look at it. The owner saw it come in and popped it onto a lift. He called a few minutes later and informed us that Parker RV put the WRONG SIZE BEARINGS on the hubs and both sides are chewed up. Will need a complete new axel and hub. He was surprised it would last 50 miles.

Great thing is our 5 year old grandson was the one to tell parents he heard squeaking from the trailer. Trailer repair guy said they were not far from losing the whole hub and dragging the trailer on the ground when they stopped. Could have caused a serious accident on the busy highway.

UPDATE to the Update. After non RV trailer place called Parker is towing it back to their shop for repair. Nothing about $175 towing fees, lost registration fees at campground or lost weekend. Not even sure they will fix it or fix it right. I will update as news comes in.
Whoa, wait second!

NO WAY I would let those clowns touch my camper again!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Whoa, wait second!

NO WAY I would let those clowns touch my camper again!
The "clowns" are now covering their asses.

Under the circumstances Roger, you might contact an attorney and have them write a letter requesting the tow fees, lost camping fees, etc or sue in small claims court.

The "clowns" have all but admitted they are at fault by having the trailer returned to their facility for repairs, or at least investigating the situation.

My opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #11

Update, Parker picked it up and without authorization replaced the bearings over the scored up axel and said come pick it up. No replacement of the drum that was partially worn down or the nicked brake pads.

My question to anyone with experience is - will the scoring on the axel possibly cause bearing failure and a possible accident in the future.

Attached is a picture taken by the trailer dealer Longmont, CO showing some of the scoring and one of the bearings still installed. The trailer dealer in Longmont (not related to Parker) recommended the axel, drum and brake pads all be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_20190924_093154.jpg  

Old 09-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #12

That bearing shown in the photo looks out of round! No way I would even consider Parker working on that trailer again! You should have let the trailer shop fix it instead of compounding your problem...just my 2 cents.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #13
Site Team

I'm looking at your picture, and that bearing doesn't look like the right size. There's a space between it and the axle shaft, that shouldn't be there if it's up on the spindle shoulder.

Just my opinion...I wouldn't accept a scored spindle on anything I owned. A tapered wheel bearing is made up of a cup (race), and cone (roller). There are clearance tolerances between it and the inner surface of the bearing (cone). A scored spindle compromises those tolerances.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
My question to anyone with experience is - will the scoring on the axel possibly cause bearing failure and a possible accident in the future.

Attached is a picture taken by the trailer dealer Longmont, CO showing some of the scoring and one of the bearings still installed. The trailer dealer in Longmont (not related to Parker) recommended the axel, drum and brake pads all be replaced.
First - that spindle is messed up and should be replaced.

Because the inner bearing is not the right one - and we can not see the picture of what damage to the inner bearing surface of the spindle - I have to assume that it is about as bad.

In the case where the bearings were the wrong ones - the wheel, hub and brake backing assembly has a good chance that it was damaged as well. (we can't see any pictures to say it was or not) because it was likely running in a wobbly insecure manner that would cause damage.

Now... any good mechanic knows that it is a few bucks more to buy a complete kit that includes the backing plate with all new brake equipment, bearings, seals and a new drum - as the savings in labor will more than offset the extra cost. Then the customer gets all NEW PARTS, the mechanic gets to get the job out the door faster and saves both the customer and the shop money in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Southwest-Whe...ef_=ast_bbp_dp
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #15

Let us know how long Parker’s half ass repair last. They would not get a second chance with me..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #16

I was a little surprised that he accepted the trailer without a new axel or the credit toward future repairs or purchases. But he is a thousand miles away and works a 50 60 hour week so I only can hope the repairs hold up.

I did advise him to learn how to check bearings for proper adjustment and torque his own wheel nuts.. I hope if this goes bad he sues Parker and is not hurt if there is a major failure on the road.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #17

This is such a wild story,1st of all you have to be really stupid to install the wrong wheel bearings in a wheel, it is probably possible but I would not have that person work on my vehicle again.
2nd they could have very easily been over tightened. Unless you drive a ton of miles you sure shouldn't have to pull them off every year.
Maybe bearing buddies would be the answer, installed by a qualified person.
I do my own. It just takes practice to get the right feel in tightening the bearings. You can do it!!
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
Site Team

At this point, at the earliest convenient time he should find a reputable shop and replace the axel, hub and brake assembly and be done with it. Going down the road and wondering if your wheel bearing is going to seize and your wheel fly off again is just not what I would want on my mind when towing. Get fixed up, write this one off, brush off the bad dealer experience and move on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #19

That's probably good advice
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
The "clowns" are now covering their asses.

Under the circumstances Roger, you might contact an attorney and have them write a letter requesting the tow fees, lost camping fees, etc or sue in small claims court.

The "clowns" have all but admitted they are at fault by having the trailer returned to their facility for repairs, or at least investigating the situation.

My opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Murff
x2
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote