Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Bad workmanship

This is what I found on my 2014 jayco white hawk 31dslb I don't think I have write about it the pictures tell the story
Attached Thumbnails
20141101_163933.jpg   20141101_163944.jpg   20141102_150907.jpg   20141107_130428.jpg  
striper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

That's not good, air flow, into the trailer, seems to be compromised. Are you still under warranty? Have you taken it to the dealer for repairs yet?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

No i fix it my self i reduct the whole trailer i even put heat duct that the in the front bedroom, jayco didnt put heat in the front bedroom when I called jayco about the heat in the front bedroom they told me to put a fan in the trailer to move the heat around thats what i payed all the money for
Old 11-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

That is totally unacceptable. My new White Hawk had some problems that I had to fix, but nothing as ridiculous as those. I used 2 tubes of clear silicone all around the glass panels of the shower because water seeps through the crappy seal and other places in the shower. I also had to fix the misalignment of the furnace return air grill by adding some framing and drilling new screw holes. The oven pilot won't stay lit, so I'll have the dealer fix that next spring. I had to relocate some latches that weren't aligned properly. The stuff that I had wrong was a pain, but not nearly as bad as what you have. At least all my furnace ducts are properly installed and go to all areas.

Note to everyone. Check the air conditioner mounting bolt tightness. I've never gotten an RV where they were properly tightened. This trailer was actually the closest to correct. The bolts on a previous Jayco were so loose that water dripped on the dining table.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

striper44, that is astonishing even for a hurry-up assembly line built trailer. I encourage you to send those pictures to Jayco. I know you have fixed it already, but somebody at Jayco needs to know what a worker and Jayco's "quality" control measures did to your trailer. And it would be helpful if somebody at Jayco was embarrassed.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems manufactures want to brush off to much to their customers. Corporation leaning towards fast production and profits for the shareholders. Till things go wrong and face a massive lawsuit. If production workers don't have proper time to finish their job that's what you get with pictures above. Even if you have warranty you still loose. It cost money to go to the dealer and the time you spend on a warranty claim. It seems all what people buy nowadays is a finished RV shell what has to be completed by the buyer (if capable to do so).

When I bought my trailer it also had flattened flex ductwork and the furnace was not even connected proper to the outside combustion air. I spend many days cleaning all cavities and bring all other things up to proper standards. Yes there are building standards for RV manufacturing but do they ever apply all of them? And is there control? Yes it is a shame on the manufacturers. Is it all about filling their pockets. It is not up to dealers and buyers to complete their unit. Then a lot of dealers have the same attitude, they want your money not your complains and warranty work. A small percentage RV owners have good dealers looking after them if they have problems. It is sad to say how corruption has taken over. I guess we all deal with this problem even at vehicle dealers. My 2c
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Unfortunately, this is just the way the industry is. Like it or leave it. No, I don't like it. We've dealt with it more over the last 3 than out of the 8 we've owned. Kind of shows where the trend is going. 1 being a Tiffin well north of $100k, 1 Forest River Forester MH, and a Cedar Creek. All having issues, some really bad. So, not that I like it, but, you either buy one and fix it to your liking, or get out of the hobby. Always buy expecting the worst, and hoping for the best. Unless everybody stopped purchasing, you'll never even put a dent in a corporation as big as some of these. Like the big "Gas Out" thing. Never works.

I bought a Jayco this time, because I don't feel as bad when I have issues with a unit I spent a little over $20k on, compared to over $100k. Price definitely doesn't change the amount of issues.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

I sent the pictures and called they offered to pay for all the parts. I told them they should fire the guy on the line that installs the furnace . And as for fast production if you go to you tube there is a clip of how fast they assemble these trailers i wish i had seen before i purchase our trailer i would have thought about this this purchase. And i watch a clip on lance trailers they seem like they take there time not a rush type of environment.i really like this trailer but i am wondering whats to come i know you are going have problems but this is to much
Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

Are you freekin kidding !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet some one here has some email addresses and phone numbers for some one higher up in the Jayco organization , That is way beyond shoty workman ship, that looks to have been deliberitly done....
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #10

The more i think about this i think jayco such give us a weekend on them lol
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

I always said it's a good thing they never hired me to be that trailer review guy that has the articles / reviews in Trailer Life. They'd all have bad marks. I haven't found an RV yet that would pass a thorough inspection. That said though, we know how to make them better in our own shop, so that's what we do.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #12

yes that is terrible quality. What makes it all worse is -- we make them even worse when we hook them up to our trucks/fire up the engines and drag them down these bumpy rough beat up highways, shaking them apart a little at a time.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #13

We have a 2014 30 foot DSRE and feel lucky to have not had any trouble in fact never went back for any warranty work. But I have been seeing a lot of talk about heaters and duct work and bad workmanship so I will go check mine. Living in the south we have not used our heater, but on our inspection the dealer did light it. I think our dealer (a personal friend) may have fix stuff before we picked up our TT. I am a very "picky" about trim and fit and the dealer did fix a couple fit issues.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Site Team

That duct work is plain ugly......
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #15

How many people do you think walk by this trailer during the build and saw this and look the other way
Old 11-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #16

I'm sure that's factory supplied aluminum foil for fast rigging....
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Doesn't make you warm & fuzzy, does it?
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #18

The filter for my model is in a boxed in area in the rear storage area. You have to crawl in and take one of the screwed in place walls off just to get to it. The housing needs a spacial wrench to remove the lower part to change a filter. At least they included it. My problem was, and I'm sure it was done on purpose, that some of the wiring and water lines were wrapped around the filter so tight you couldn't get the wrench on the housing. I managed to disconnect and move the wiring behind the filter. Had to cut the hose and then had to get the PAX crimping tool, @ $50, and some of the steel rings that are crimped down to anchor the hose onto the fittings. Wish I could take that money out of that jerks hide.

Since it is so hard to get to the filter I plan on permanently by-passing it and use the throw away inline hose filters that are suppose to last a year. About $16 at WalMart. Besides for storage ya just disconnect them from the hose and bring inside for cold weather.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #19

Those pictures need to go to Jayco Quality Assurance, if they even exist.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post
Those pictures need to go to Jayco Quality Assurance, if they even exist.
I guess I should have took some pics, but was to busy fixing up their muck up.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote