Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Battery/Charger Issue?

I'm not sure what's happening so I'm going to ask the forum and see what others think. I just bought my Jayco Kiwi 25E last week. When I bought it the battery was basically dead. It had been in storage so I just hooked up to my TV and powered it up that way to verify everything worked. Once I got it home I plugged into the house using my 110v/15a outlet. I know when I got home I checked the battery and it was about 50% charged after being hooked up for about 8 hours to my TV. The next day, after being plugged into the house, I checked again and it was 100%. Over the course of the next couple days I continued to work on the camper cleaning it and making some minor modifications. While in the camper I noticed on occasion that the overhead lights would seem to dim and them come back to full a few times then be fine. I attributed this to what I thought was just a loose plug where the extension cord plugged into my house outlet. Yesterday it was doing it for a couple minutes so I walked over to the monitor panel and checked the battery level. It was at 25%... I checked again a few minutes later and it was 75%. It then went up and down from 25-75% while I held it. I was a bit confused since I was connected to the house how it could possibly drain the batter rather than trickle charging it. This morning as I was leaving my house I noticed what looked like steam coming off of or out of the battery box. I opened the battery box cover and saw would looked like stream coming from the battery vents... it smelled of battery acid. Being concerned I immediately disconnected the house plug so it would stop charging. Now I'm worried... is this a battery gone bad or somehow my power supply/charging system has cooked my battery??? No clue. I've been a camper for many years and previously owned a PU camper. Never had to deal with a RV with battery before so I'm at a lose. Your suggestions for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jon
__________________

jdomke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
When the battery is charging, it will give off fumes, like you smelled. Also, if your TT has one of the 3-stage converters, then when it switches between the full charge - trickle charge - float charge, you will likely notice a small change in the interior lights level of brightness. This is because as the converter switches between the 3 charging states, it's output voltage changes to accomplish this. I suggest the first thing to investigate is the acid strength in the battery. This will give you a more accurate indication of the battery condition. This test is done with a Hydrometer. They only cost a few bucks and are well worth having on hand for future use. You may find that even though you got a 100% indication, the hydrometer will show one or more individual cells of the battery are weak or bad. In this case, you will need to replace the battery.
__________________

__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
And that would cause what looked like smoke to be coming from the battery vents? It was pretty warm as well. It got down to 40 degrees last night btw.
jdomke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Quahog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,531
I would also check the water level in all cells... use only distilled water if you find they are low.
__________________
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Ok, I can't recall ever not having a maintenance-free battery so I guess I'll check tonight when I get home...I'm guessing I just pull the plugs off the top and look inside to see the levels... how far up to I fill them if I find any low?
jdomke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Quahog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,531
On most of the batteries I have seen, there's a little lip that shows where the fill level should be.
__________________
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomke1 View Post
And that would cause what looked like smoke to be coming from the battery vents? It was pretty warm as well. It got down to 40 degrees last night btw.
Yes, for both the vapor and heat. I really do think you have a bad battery with one or more cells having sulfate build up on the plates. The Hydrometer will tell the story.
__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Here is another thread on this topic which you may find interesting;
https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...hlight=battery
__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Yes, thank you David... I read that post earlier today. What threw me off was the fluctuating power level and lights fluttering as well. I'll pick up a hydrometer on the way home and check tonight.
jdomke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Ok. I bought the hydrometer and a gallon of distilled water. No way to check it since no fluid was visible in any of the six fill holes. Added water to each and now charging overnight. It took nearly 1/2 gallon to fill all six cells. Making hissing sounds and warm after an hour. Battery meter showed 2/3.
__________________

jdomke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.