Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #1

Battery/Converter issue

Hi All,

We own a 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHS. I did not remove the battery this winter and the trailer was stored outside for 6+ months in Canadian winter!

After spending our first weekend camping this summer, I noticed that converter fan never stopped. I started testing a few things:

On shore power, the battery meter on the panel shows full. As soon as I unplug shore power, the battery meter drops to 1/3 and then to empty within a few minutes.

I installed a new 30AMP inline fuse by the battery box to see if that was the issue and it did not help.

Everything works fine while on shore power (lights etc), but it seems as though the battery may not be getting charged.

Any thoughts? Also, what exactly does that 30AMP inline fuse do?

I do not have a multimeter, as I"ve seen many threads ask about it.

Thx
Ben
reynoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Ben,
You need to run out and get a multimeter, they are inexpensive and can be purchased at Walmart. A multimeter should be supplied by the dealer that sells the RV. "Don't leave home without it!!!!"

Is this the same battery that died over winter, or a new one?
Is the battery hooked up properly? WHITE battery cable goes to FRAME GROUND, black goes to the TT's main 30 amp fuse?

The meter you are looking at is not connected to the TT's battery, it is connected to a wire that probably supplies power from the DC distribution frame to other things by the battery display (like the awning, slide out...)

What is the ACTUAL battery voltage of the battery (using a multimeter between the batteries POSITIVE and NEGATIVE terminals?
With Shore-power connected and without shore-power connected?
While disconnected, pull the 30 amp fuse and take a battery reading.

Also, check your battery cable connections. Are they clean and tight? One more place, check the the WHITE cable from the NEGATIVE battery terminal that connects to the FRAME ground bolt, and see if that is tight and clean.

Let us know what you find
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

To answer some of your questions.

It is the same battery. It worked great all last year and was not disconnected, so it is not the wiring. I already removed the wires, cleaned the posts and reconnected (the right way!) and that was not the issue either.

I'll check the WHITE wire's connection to the frame ground bolt a bit later today. I'll also need to invest in a multimeter to troubleshoot this a bit more

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoben View Post
I'll check the WHITE wire's connection to the frame ground bolt a bit later today. I'll also need to invest in a multimeter to troubleshoot this a bit more

Thanks!
If you're a cheapskate like me, Harbor Freight will offer a free multimeter with their "free" coupons on occasion. It's a good starter unit until you decide just how valuable they are to you (and they are) and then pick out a better one of your choosing.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Did you pull the 30 amp fuse before storing the TT over winter? If not and the battery was still connected to the TT's electronics, the battery would have been dead in a few weeks after storing it. Which means that it is time for a new battery, but I would not just run out and buy another one just yet. You need be sure that your TT's charge controller is charging. The only way to be totally sure is to get a meter, or borrow someone's

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #6

Thanks all for your replies. I 've been away for work for a bit so I still haven't gotten around to testing my battery. I am going camping today and had a question. If I remove the inline fuse, will this simply bypass sending power to the battery? Will anything else be compromised? I am not dry camping. In fact, I never have, so I don't have any true use for the battery anyway
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
Site Team

When under tow, you are required to have a working battery to operate the emergency brakes on the trailer in case of a hitch failure.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply Norty1. Until I can get this resolved, I'll insert the fuse while towing and remove it when I am setup at the campground. Just wondering what else, if anything, could be affected by not having a battery hooked up.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
I suspect your battery needs replaced. Consider adding a second battery to help assure you have plenty of 12 volt power.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
I suspect your battery needs replaced. Consider adding a second battery to help assure you have plenty of 12 volt power.
Thanks Bill. I assume it's the battery too, but also need to test the converter to ensure it's not overcharging and killing the battery. Will test that out after this upcoming trip.