Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Exeter
Posts: 15
Battery Questions

I bought a 2014 Jayco 22fb last year. First travel trailer. Everything worked great. After each camping trip I disconnected the battery. At the end of the season, I took the battery out and put it in my garage. It is still sitting there on the floor.

How do I go about check to see if it is still good?

Check water?

Charger it?

Thanks Lou
__________________

loum35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 881
Check the water levels in all 6 cells by removing the caps. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pry them off, be careful as the battery acid/water mix will ruin clothes. Fill with distilled water up the lower level of the opening/cover the lead plates inside. Get a cheapo volt meter at wally world, etc., and check the voltage, s/b in the 12.x range with 12.7 being 100% charged. Charge as needed.
__________________

__________________
'08 Greyhawk 31SS Traded in
2018 MR2410RL
Goodyear Endurance
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Jonesboro
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by loum35 View Post
I bought a 2014 Jayco 22fb last year. First travel trailer. Everything worked great. After each camping trip I disconnected the battery. At the end of the season, I took the battery out and put it in my garage. It is still sitting there on the floor.

How do I go about check to see if it is still good?

Check water?

Charger it?

Thanks Lou

FYI, always place a board under a battery when sitting on a cement floor. Moisture in the floor and battery can cause leeching of acid to occur. That can cause a real mess on the floor.
__________________
Ram Laramie 3500, asin, 4x4, DRW 4:10.
2018 NORTH POINT 315, 8K Axles,disk brakes and 17.5"
WayneTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: midwest
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by loum35 View Post
I bought a 2014 Jayco 22fb last year. First travel trailer. Everything worked great. After each camping trip I disconnected the battery. At the end of the season, I took the battery out and put it in my garage. It is still sitting there on the floor.

How do I go about check to see if it is still good?

Check water?

Charger it?

Thanks Lou
you should check the water when you take it out.. but check it now..
you should leave it on a trickle charger all winter long to get the most use out of it...
charge it up.. then take it to batteries plus or some other auto store and have it load tested... then you will know if it is really good or not...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CENTRAL NEW YORK
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneTaylor View Post
FYI, always place a board under a battery when sitting on a cement floor. Moisture in the floor and battery can cause leeching of acid to occur. That can cause a real mess on the floor.

Early Car Batteries
If we take a look back at some of the earliest car batteries we will find that they were lead-acid batteries that had glass cells all encased in a wooden box. This means that if they were left on concrete or cement floors, the moisture from the floor could cause the wooden box to wrap, allowing the glass cells to shift and break.

Of course, the battery acid would leak all over the floor and the battery would be rendered useless. Not great.

Evolution
As the construction of the car battery evolved into a nickel-iron battery encased in steel, and then even further with a hard rubber casing, the issue of breaking glass went away – but not the problem with discharging or “leaking”.

The rubber was porous and often contained carbon. The battery shell would take on the moisture of the floor, as with the wooden encasement, creating an electrical current between the battery cells causing them to discharge. Still not great.

Modern Day Batteries

The design of modern day batteries includes a hard plastic shell that eliminates the intake of moisture, thus making the garage floor a great place to put your car battery.

Cement and concrete floors provide a fairly good barrier between the car battery and extreme temperature changes that could otherwise cause damage to the battery cells allowing for a discharge leak.
__________________
2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 1,342
Nice history on batteries 33RLDS!


The real important things to do with any battery in storage is to make sure and keep it properly topped off with water. The second is to keep it at full charge to avoid allowing it to go dead and reducing it's capacity and lifetime.

A battery tender like the Battery Tender JR. will keep the battery fully charged with the minimum chance of boiling out the water or causing over-charging. They are a lot cheaper to buy and run than the RV charging systems. Some of them are not as accurate and will not do as good a job. They also use a lot more power compared to a batter tender.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.7 V6
Andersen WDH hitch
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CENTRAL NEW YORK
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Nice history on batteries 33RLDS!


The real important things to do with any battery in storage is to make sure and keep it properly topped off with water. The second is to keep it at full charge to avoid allowing it to go dead and reducing it's capacity and lifetime.

A battery tender like the Battery Tender JR. will keep the battery fully charged with the minimum chance of boiling out the water or causing over-charging. They are a lot cheaper to buy and run than the RV charging systems. Some of them are not as accurate and will not do as good a job. They also use a lot more power compared to a batter tender.
I love my battery tenders. Probably have a half dozen of them. The waterproof 800ma are my favorite. My TV is always on one
__________________
2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Exeter
Posts: 15
Thank everyone. I opened the caps water was low. I took it the place I took it where i get my cars services and they are going to fill it charge it and load test it. I am going to buy a battery minder.

Thanks
__________________

loum35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.