Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #41

Not sure what to think of the EZ Lube system. From my experience and examination; the zerk fitting greases only the inner bearings. The outer bearings get greased by pumping the entire hub full of grease until the pressure builds and gets pushed into and out the outer bearings. I dont know; is it a good idea to pack the hub with that much grease? Maybe for boat trailers, but not sure other applications should do that.

None of any of the Trailers I have ever owned have had the hub full of grease, the EZ lube system way of greasing the outer bearing; the outer bearings must have been hand greased properly themselves prior to installation. If the inner seal/bearing needs attention, and the hub was stuffed full of grease; that would be a mess to deal with.

I have always used the zerk to grease the inner, and pull the outer for a hand greasing.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #42

I use the easy lube system and after pulling all over the USA I have never had a problem. My Jayco is a 2008.
I carry a grease gun and add a few pumps of grease when pulling steep hills and the brakes warm up the hubs.
Good grease why try to save $2.00 per tube! Get the better and no problems.
Two years ago I pulled the rotors and checked them. They were like new. I am impressed with easy lube system.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #43

So far using the EZ lube system on our 335T. First time I greased the bearings it took virtually a full tube of grease for all four wheels. I suspect that Dexter may just pack the bearings with grease and not the center of the spindle and return flow passages. That may be why it takes so much grease the first time. Have seen other comments about the amount of grease on the first time.

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but the Dexter manual has a list of recommended greases.

2019 RAM 2500HD 6.7 Cummins
2021 Jayco Talon 335T
HecBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #44

I had no idea all the types of bearing grease until now. Every spring I would purchase grease at NAPA. Now I put much better grease in them and double the cost. With that you know it is better.
I wanted to use the buddy bearings but people told me not to. I have just two hubs to pull.
I hope all the new RV owners do the required maintenance! With over 40 years of pulling a trailer and fifth wheel I have paid my dues. Tires,bearings and good hitch makes all the difference.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #45

I was using the Lucas Red & Tacky for a couple of years, but did alot of research online and decided to change over to the Lucas Heavy Duty Green Grease. I figured that if it is good enough for the farm equipment, it’s good enough for me, since 3 years now.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I was using the Lucas Red & Tacky for a couple of years, but did alot of research online and decided to change over to the Lucas Heavy Duty Green Grease. I figured that if it is good enough for the farm equipment, it’s good enough for me, since 3 years now.
Lucas heavy duty green is also a good marine grease for boat trailers.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:18 AM   #47

Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease is also in very short supply this year.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #48

Keep in mind (and for the best of my memory) the Lucas green is not a lithium grease and therefore you should remove 100% of the existing lithium (which is most common) grease from your bearings if you change to a non-lithium grease as they (lithium vs polyurea) are not compatible with each other.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Keep in mind (and for the best of my memory) the Lucas green is not a lithium grease and therefore you should remove 100% of the existing lithium (which is most common) grease from your bearings if you change to a non-lithium grease as they (lithium vs polyurea) are not compatible with each other.
True. I knew that and should have mentioned it. I don't mix greases, I lube by hand once a year. Good time for me to check and clean the bearings and replace seals, and as long as I have the drum off it's also a good time to check shoes, linkage and magnets. I've never seen the point in filling that cavity between bearings with grease.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
True. I knew that and should have mentioned it. I don't mix greases, I lube by hand once a year. Good time for me to check and clean the bearings and replace seals, and as long as I have the drum off it's also a good time to check shoes, linkage and magnets. I've never seen the point in filling that cavity between bearings with grease.
I agree with not filling the cavity, on my boat there are bearing buddies with a zerk fitting. Not enough grease and the bearings get nothing, and too much grease blows (can blow) the bearing's axle seals, and the cavity likely holds a whole tube of grease all by itself or close to it. Bad deal in my opinion. (There as some axle systems that are better designed for greasing the bearings in a similar zerk fitting style manner, I forgot who makes them, Dexter perhaps).

Regarding different greases, I have a lot of equipment and most of the farm\industrial grease formulas I have used are designed for slow, heavy duty, high pressure usage such as what would occur on the bucket pins for a Caterpillar track loader. These greases should not be used for high speed operations, however the Lucas green (and red and tacky) state that their grease is suitable for high speed operations, just something to check on though when using other greases as most all of the farm\industrial grease I use states not to use this grease for high speed operations\bearings.

When I had my last 5th wheel, I did exactly as you stated, hand pack and inspect each wheel, bearings, brakes, at least yearly and even sooner if you have put a lot of miles on the axles recently (ie: a trip to AK and back). ~CA
Old 04-29-2022, 06:19 AM   #51

Warm grease

My 2 cents is same as others. For past 30 years I have used this thpe of axle hub on many trailers, boats, snowmobile, and RV. All work fine if done right. I have never repacked a bearing by hand unless I was replacing a hub/besring/seal. As avid snowmobiler, I will only offer that if your worried about blowing a seal, let grease sit in house overnight before using so it is warm, or grease when warm out as it will move easier and less likely to push out a seal. My sled trailer takes beating in winter and gets greased before every trip, never lost a bearing or seal yet.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #52

It now costs about $400 for parts to replace 4 wheels of greasy brakes. It's not worth it to me to use the ez lube, and not know if it worked until it's too late.
These aren't automobile bearings and brakes- they are bad design, poor quality.
I have a car with 170,000 miles on it, never thought about leaky wheel seals or failed bearings.
We have to disassemble and inspect these crappy brakes anyway- so while it's apart, I'll clean and repack the bearings, put new seals on, and dream of the day I can get a disc brake conversion. I really like the idea behind the ez lube, and if I had a boat trailer with no brakes, or if I had disc brakes, I would use EZ lube. and keep pumping new grease in there until the cows come home. But it just doesn't make sense in this application.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:08 AM   #53

I dont knock anyone and how they maintain thier rigs. Just offering my 2cents. As for seals, My tow rig already been through 2 oil seals on axle and it just hit 110k miles. Nothing is absolute. Just offering my experience worh EZ lube alxes as they were on all my trailers and Have had no issues as long as I take time and maintain on regular basis and not once a decade. Just dont want newbies to fear those axles as they not bad
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #54

I’m wrapping my bearing service project tomorrow (hopefully). I clean, inspect and reassemble in a 3 year (or so &#128521 interval and use the ez-lube zerks with extreme caution) on the intervening years. I’ve had good luck so far. To my surprise, the original bearings (China) are going back in service. They looked almost brand new!
I’ve used most of my bearing grease and ordered some (Timken brand) via the Walmart web site yesterday, this afternoon I got an email telling me the order was cancelled due to “not in stock”. More searching leads me to think there is a wheel bearing grease shortage! Timken is my grease of choice (and bearings) with my next preference being Lucas, both seem to be in short supply.
Anyone else experiencing this?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #55
Site Team

No but I bought some a few months ago!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #56

So I have dumb question, how are these bearings any different then the ones on the front of my 1970's car that went 50 or 60K with never being touched or checked? I don't understand why trailer bearings are so bad that they need packing every year.
diver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #57

They are not, some reason people get excited over them, only thing is a boat trailer being in water. I've got a 24' enclosed race trailer and it's been pulled over 160,000 miles and bearings pack 3 times and really didn't need it then.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver6 View Post
So I have dumb question, how are these bearings any different then the ones on the front of my 1970's car that went 50 or 60K with never being touched or checked? I don't understand why trailer bearings are so bad that they need packing every year.
The problem is that these axles and drum brakes are more like our 1950's cars, which did need a lot of attention, and seals didn't last as long.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #59
eow

Only way to check the drum brakes to to pull the hub. At that point you may as well repack the bearings.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #60
Site Team

I have mine pulled every 3 years and repacked. My rig has had 3 brake assemblies replaced in those 11 years not counting the replacement of all 4 when the rig was new and the brakes were compromised with axle grease before I took delivery. Just had them done for the 4th time a few months ago.

If I had not done it several of the assemblies would likely have needed replacement on the road! 1 did go bad on the road and I was able to replace it.

The Brake assembly includes the hub including new bearings, seals and all new brake components.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote