Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

Bearing Grease Maintenance

My family and I purchased a new 2019 Jayco X23B at the end of November 2019 and put it directly into winterization mode. Due to Covid last year we only went on 3 trips totaling around 800-900 miles that also includes picking the new camper up from Long Island to PA. As I was prepping the trailer for this season, I was going to start greasing the axle bearings but then I stopped myself. All 4 hubs looked very clean and the grease looked in great condition, is it really necessary to pump new grease into them, it would seem like a waste. These are the Dexter ez line axles.
Attached Thumbnails
C09890FA-7CC3-4AC5-9F46-AB5AC9F973FF.jpg  
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #2

Unfortunately, you don't know what condition the grease is on the bearing below that beautiful, purple layer of grease on the outside. I'd shoot a few pumps in there (versus disassembling and cleaning and repacking) just to make sure the bearings themselves are in contact with good grease.

Trailer bearing maintenance is one of those things where the maintenance recommendations are super conservative because the consequences of failure can be so catastrophic. If one is making his own maintenance decisions based on observing his own bearings, extending service intervals is rather low risk.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

Theoretically, with the EZ lube, you slowly pump new grease in until clean grease comes back out the front. You spin the wheel while you're doing that, to help the grease flow through. If it works as planned, you've just greased your axles without removing the drums- easy peasy.

However, if it doesn't work as planned, and a bunch of grease gets past the rear seals, you have a real mess and ruined brakes.

I've had that happen and will not use the EZ lube feature again.

Besides, you need to take the drums off anyway to inspect the brakes and bearings, so you might as well just go ahead and do it the old fashioned way.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #4

It should also be noted that in general you should not mix grease types. Unless you know what kind of grease is already in use the recommendation would be to pull it apart, do a full inspection and repack with your grease of choice. Then going forward you can use the EZ Lube as desired. Don't forget when you have the hub off to pump some grease through to clear the old grease out of the supply line in the spindle. Otherwise, the first thing you'll do when using the EZ Lube is mix some old unknown grease in with your new grease.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #5

I have about 2500 miles on my 2019.
Had a problem with the the brake controller so I removed one drum to check the shoes.
Everything looked good including the outer bearing that had plenty of grease.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #6

I am old school and will not use the EZ Lube process. I pull my wheels and drums before every season and inspect everything at a minimum. I have no problem repacking even annually if anything is even questionable. As stated the result of a bearing failure can be catastrophic so I consider it cheap insurance.

I pulled each wheel and drum when I brought my trailer home from the dealer. 1 hub was so tight I could barely turn the wheel and another had hardly any grease in it. I replaced all the bearings and seals with US made Timkens before we even took our first trip.

I trust no one when it comes to maintenance...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #7

The brake shoe backing plate has inspection access holes on the back side. This allows you to see inside or insert a camera to see if you have forced grease past the seal or the seal is tired and worn allowing grease into the shoe area.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post

I agree 100%.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post

True. We just ended our warranty period- They have our unit now at Jayco. Then back to the dealer for some additional unfinished warranty stuff. Then that's it.
After that, I'll fix everything I can.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #10

If you are greasing the bearings using the easy grease it take quite a bit of grease the first time. If i remember correctly it was about 1/2 a tube per wheel.You want to jack it up and spin the wheel while pumping. Eventually you will see grease being pushed out the outter bearing.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone who replied, I will jack it up sometime this month to try out the ezlube method. Once I saw how clean the grease looked by the zerk fitting, the bearing grease in my opinion should be in the same condition.
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiori1010 View Post
My family and I purchased a new 2019 Jayco X23B at the end of November 2019 and put it directly into winterization mode. Due to Covid last year we only went on 3 trips totaling around 800-900 miles that also includes picking the new camper up from Long Island to PA. As I was prepping the trailer for this season, I was going to start greasing the axle bearings but then I stopped myself. All 4 hubs looked very clean and the grease looked in great condition, is it really necessary to pump new grease into them, it would seem like a waste. These are the Dexter ez line axles.
It is worth the “trouble” to check the bearing each time. Ez-lube things are horrible as they promote ignoring proper maintenance. You can’t see or check anything unless you take the hub off.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #13

I'm not going to get into discussion regarding easy lube.
My 2.5 ton sailboat has gone across country multiple times and in and out of salt and fresh water so many times in the past 14 years , I've lost count.

I packed the bearings by hand 14 years ago. Put Bearing Buddy's on. I keep the pressure up and maker sure the buddy is clean. Once in a blue moon, I'll jack up trailer and check bearings. No problems in all this time. No bad bearings, no additional grease other than a touch in the buddy to keep pressure up a few pounds.

Hand packing USA made bearings... Installing them slightly loose... Is the recipe for longevity. I'm doing same with my trailer.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiori1010 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied, I will jack it up sometime this month to try out the ezlube method. Once I saw how clean the grease looked by the zerk fitting, the bearing grease in my opinion should be in the same condition.
I just finished greasing my bearings about 1/2 hour ago. Also lubed my wet bolt suspension at the same time, as well as rotated the tires. Took me about an hour on each side.

First I jack up the trailer, jacks under the frame and supported by jack stands. Then I remove the tires...makes it easier to lube the suspension. Since I have done this twice previous it took about 1/2 a tube of Lucas Red N Tacky #2 per wheel. I put a small cardboard box under the wheel too catch the old grease. My wife slowing rotates the wheel while I pump in the grease.

I've always done it old school before...hand full of grease and pushing it into each bearing, then putting everything back together again, hoping I didn't forget anything.

My present trailer is now 4 years old with about 10,000 miles logged. I have always used the EZ Lube process once each year. There is no free play in any of the wheels, they all turn very smoothly with no weird noises indicating a bad bearing. Works for me.....

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...lit-239-00.pdf

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I put a small cardboard box under the wheel too catch the old grease.
I hope that the grease was all coming out of the end of the axle where the zerk is located, past the outer bearing. If it was dripping out the back past the seal, the brake shoes and brake hardware will most likely be contaminated.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #16

Ya think!

Of course it was coming out just like the video. Red & Tacky #2 is red for a reason...the old grease has a purple tint to it, when it turns to red it's finished..not my first rodeo

Old 05-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Ya think!

Of course it was coming out just like the video. Red & Tacky #2 is red for a reason...the old grease has a purple tint to it, when it turns to red it's finished..not my first rodeo
I hope I didn't offend you with my last post. I didn't watch the video, and I guess I should have before commenting.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I hope I didn't offend you with my last post.

No problem.....The EZ Lube system is pretty fool-proof and eliminates a lot of the hassle of bearing maintenance. In the past when I have done wheel bearings on my boat trailers and two other travel trailers there is always the chance something will get damaged in the process, such as races and seals. As long as my wheels have no free play, unusual noises when turning the wheels, and no evidence of grease where it shouldn't be, I will continue to use the EZ lube method. The Dexter seals were designed for this purpose so if you don't slam the grease in with a pneumatic grease gun there shouldn't be a problem. Many will disagree I suppose, but it works for me.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #19

I know people have bearing failure and it's not a fun thing. But I also know people messing with wheel bearings and not knowing what they are doing create several of those. Bearings that are packed and adjusted correctly will run 10s of thousands of miles without a problem. Vehicles with the same type bearings may run 50k or more without service. I have a enclosed race trailer that is a 2003 model and has been pulled 150k+ miles and bearings only serviced twice and really didn't need it then. But once was when brake shoes were replaced.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #20

Question for you all, does anybody know what type of grease is installed on a 17 Jayco 23MRB at the factory?

Thanks in advance.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote