Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Bed Failure, Queen, 287BHBE, are there others?

Just brought the trailer back from the dealer, second time, same issue.

The problem?

The ultra thin (1/4"?) bed mattress support plywood pulls free from the hinge at the front, (hinge allows the bed to be lifted for access to the bed box storage area). This is aggravated because the hinge appears to be too thin, width wise, to allow for proper securing of the hinge to the plywood.

On this trailer it almost appears to be either a complete design flaw, or I just got lucky when they ran out of plywood during build.

Support for the bed plywood is applied by the bed box at the foot of the bed, and the hinge at the front, nothing for the sides, as the plywood is cut too narrow to allow it to rest on the 2 1x1's that are attached at the side on each side. This results in 2 very unhappy occupants on a regular basis. Also, since the hinge is attached lower than the height of the bed frame, the bed mattress slopes down at the head end, it does not sit level.

Does everybody with a front bedroom Jayco have this wacky bed frame get up? And how many times does your hinge tear free of the plywood and leave you floating on air?

Thanks
cactus

cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #2

The only problem I had was squeaking that seemed to be from the plywood rubbing on the center support. Some self sticking foam weather stripping at point of contact solved that issue. That and many staples pulling up out of the plywood almost ripping my foam mattress as I pulled it around to find the squeak. Pulled them out and replaced them with screws. Just some more quality Amish craftsmanship..

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

The bed on my trailer is poor at best. Its about 1/2 inch plywood with three 2x2 strips glued to the bottom side for support. There is nothing supporting the 2x2 strips. I just built 2 small walls out of 2x4 and placed one under our shoulder area and one under out upper leg area to support the 2x2's which support the bed. The bed is now very supported and doesn't sag under our weight.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Just looked at our bed. They use the 3/8" ply same as on roof. Ours is 58" wide, (mattress is 60" ) so it does sit on the frame below. Hinge is more than adequate to handle my 275 lbs and my wifes 150 lbs. We have slept in ours about 30 days since we picked it up first of April, without an issue. If dealer won't put the proper width plywood in, I would replace the plywood myself and be done with your issue.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #5

I have the same trailer as you...The right side of the hinge at the head of the bead was coming away from the wall on ours. I got the hinge back attached and put the air shocks or "rods" and installed them to help with raising the bed. We also purchased a mattress pad from Costco (which helped tremendously with our comfort!). I haven't had a problem since. Don't know if I helped you or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I think the air rods take some of the stress off of the hinge.

Dan
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

First, welcome to the forum.

Our bed design sounds similar, but there is partial support on the sides. As I recall, the bed sides are supported from the foot of the bed up to approximately my waist area. There is no side support from the head of the bed down to approximately my waist. Also, the screws at front have not pulled out and with the refrigerator level, the bed is level.

I do plan to make a wall dividing the pass-through storage from the under bed storage. When I do that, I will check the head of the bed more carefully for the problems you are encountering.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack99 View Post
The ultra thin (1/4"?) bed mattress support plywood pulls free from the hinge at the front, (hinge allows the bed to be lifted for access to the bed box storage area). This is aggravated because the hinge appears to be too thin, width wise, to allow for proper securing of the hinge to the plywood.
I just finished fixing the same problem with our short queen walk-around. The thin hinges at the head didn't provide enough support for when the bed was lifted. I replaced the 2 strip hinges with 3 - 3" entry hinges I picked up from Lowes which allowed me to get a couple of screws for each hinge between 1" and 3" out from the edge of the plywood.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies! One post confirmed my thoughts, I got shafted on plywood width. And thanks for the confirmation on the hinges. My next move is to replace the plywood with something a bit more robust, and wider, and add new hinges. My overall thoughts are, this is something Jayco should not be proud of. Wonder if anybody from Jayco ever reads this forum....
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

I had a similar problem, although not as extreme as you.

I replaced the couple of weak sister hinges with a stouter, full length piano hinge.

I took eight 1" x 2" pine boards and glued/screwed to the bottom of the plywood.

My platform was fine. Now the base (the plywood sheet) is strong and lifts easily.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

We have a26 bhs the bed supports pulled away from the plywood and broke plus the supports weren't even done properly ...dealer fixed it no problems so far

Tdevito72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, failure, hinge, queen