Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Below-freezing camping

Jayco Jayflight 2020, taking it out for my very first RV trip next week. Weather forecast is calling for a low of 21F overnight, with above-freezing temps during the day. Do I need to drain tanks and blow out pipes for this? I'll be able to do that if needed, but I don't know how quickly everything freezes up. I'd rather err on the side if caution, so unless someone can tell me it's not needed, I'll probably do a mini-winterize.
Rickdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

If it were me I would dump any water and blow out the lines.

On 12/1 I'm leaving for Florida. I have a couple nights in the 20s so we will use bottled water till we are below the freeze line. Better safe than ....
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Ya, i agree ...... i have reservations for xmas eve @ a Provincial Park, not sure what temps are going to do, but my lines are drained and have antifreeze in them.... will do without water in the trailer, except of toilet (p only)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
If it were me I would dump any water and blow out the lines.

On 12/1 I'm leaving for Florida. I have a couple nights in the 20s so we will use bottled water till we are below the freeze line. Better safe than ....
Bottled water... That's a good idea. I think I could make that work.

Thanks to all for confirming my thoughts that, one way or the other, I should ensure there is no water in the tanks and pipes.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

If you have the enclosed underside you can disconnect the water hose coming in, open the cabinet doors and turn on your heater. That should keep everything above freezing. Use bottled water when needed until things warm up. We were in Pigeon Forge a few weeks ago and the temps were around 26 overnight and everything was good.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #6

I don't have a skirt or anything that rea he's the ground, but looking underneath the TT, there is a platic panel of some sort covering the entire underside. Is that what you mean by enclosed?

If so, then great tip.about opening the doors. I would not have thought about that.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

What are you expecting for the daytime high? Will you have electricity where you are going?

If you have electricity you should have not issues as long as the day time highs reach 40 or better.

Do you have an enclosed underbelly? Does it get heat from the furnace?? Have heating pads on your tanks? Do you have any exposed water pipes under the floor? If you have a kitchen slide out with your kitchen sink or a frig with water in it, you might, have exposed plumbing.

We cool weather camp fairly often, pretty much every spring and fall! We have an HTT, an exposed underbelly, and no tank heaters. Yet to have any issues, but I am careful and I keep an eye on things. With many years of practice, I feel fairly comfortable in cooler weather.

Last campout (5 nights, boondocking), our coolest overnight low was 22 degrees. Day time highs most days never reached 40. No issues! We have an an HTT (tent ends loose a lot a heat), and an open underbelly, no tank heaters. That trip we had no electricity, so we had to be careful running the furnace as it and my CPAP consume a lot of 12V power. In our case I recharged the battery every day via the generator, and ran the furnace intermittently throughout the day and evening. But it was off all night (lots of blankets). That trip was more of an extreme than usual for us in the cooler weather.

DW likes an electric site in the early and late season, so here is what we typically do. We use a 1500 watt electric ceramic heater as our primary heat source. Usually we turn the furnace on in the morning to warm up the HTT. Sometimes, at night if I get up to use the bathroom, I might turn on the furnace for 5-10 minutes. We keep all the cabinet doors ajar especially at night, that have plumbing running through them. This lets the heat migrate into these areas. The insulation is really poor in some areas.

We never have full hookups. So we fill our FW tank full. There is a lot of thermal mass in the water. It will take days for it to freeze. So over a few days, I don't worry. If the FW tank was getting empty, might be different story (again open underbelly).

If you have full hook ups. Disconnect your FW hose and sewer hose at night. Recommend draining the FW hose and place it in a warm(er) cargo hold, this will keep it from being super stiff when you go to reconnect in the morning. The water hose is small, and does not have the thermal mass of your FW tank, so it will freeze up over night. The Sewer hose, has a unique issue. The warm moist air in the CG sewer lines, will migrate up to your flexible hose, It will condense, freeze and create thick frost like ice inside the sewer hose. Sometimes it can freeze solid.

I wish I was camping this weekend. Our HTT, has been put to bed for the winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Rick,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickdicks View Post
Jayco Jayflight 2020, taking it out for my very first RV trip next week.......snip......I'd rather err on the side if caution.....snip
I agree..., especially being your first trip.

Temps are trending 'downward' this time of year and travel delay conditions are always a possibility.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #9

@Jagiven, thank you for your informative reply.

I will be at a full hook-up site, with electricity and sewer. I do have an enclosed underbelly (no exposed pipes). I don't see anything that vents warm air underneath, though. To the best of my knowledge, I do not have any tank heaters of any kind other than the water heater. There is no plumbing in the slideout. I do have a ceramic heater I can use, if there is sufficient power.

SO, based on the advice received above, I will monitor the situation, If I don't do a full drainage routine, I will:
1. Fill the fresh-water tank clear full.
2. Disconnect and drain the water hose. Store in the basement.
3. Disconnect sewer hose and store.
4. Drain the hose on the outdoor shower.
5. Open all cabinets to allow warmer air to reach pipes.
6. Run ceramic heater as needed.

Thanks, everyone. I knew joining this forum would be a good idea.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #10

If interested Amazon has a camco 25’ heated fresh water hose on sale for Black Friday for a pretty good price... not sure how they work, just snagged one for myself as we are going camping next week and it will be in low 30’s overnight for us. Our camper has the thermal package (enclosed underbelly, heat ducts running thru floor) so I think we’ll be ok, but will follow this thread for more ideas.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote