Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #1

Black plastic blocking toilet drainage?

Hey all, took my SLX Baja 19.5 out for a weeklong adventure and noticed what looked like a piece of black plastic about 3 inches below the floor line under the toilet. The waste water sits on top of it but eventually drains, any ideas what this could be? I've removed the toilet so no issue there, it's definitely something in the inner workings. All suggestions appreciated!
incognitocandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitocandito View Post
The waste water sits on top of it but eventually drains
Update: Poured some cleaning water down, and it's been sitting there stagnant for quite some time, no drainage at all.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitocandito View Post
Hey all, took my SLX Baja 19.5 out for a weeklong adventure and noticed what looked like a piece of black plastic about 3 inches below the floor line under the toilet. The waste water sits on top of it but eventually drains, any ideas what this could be? I've removed the toilet so no issue there, it's definitely something in the inner workings. All suggestions appreciated!
Very good possibility that when they cut the hole in the black tank, the piece fell in or was left in place and after they glued the drain pipe from toilet it is blocking the waste from flowing freely. If it's under warranty have them repair it. If not when you removed the toilet did you look down the drain and see the black piece? If so you may be able to remove it.

Good luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #4

Unfortunately bought it used so it's no longer under warranty. Yes the black piece is still there and looks larger than the pipe that's supposed to be there, not sure what that means! Once the water that's in there drains I'll be able to see what's going on a bit better. Will post a picture if I can get a clear one.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

Could be a step in the tank similar to this.
Attached Thumbnails
tank.jpg  
Old 06-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

I thought the black tank was a lot deeper than it actually is. I kept thinking my black tank was close to full, and even when it was emptied oh, I could see the black plastic really close. I had to pull my black corrugated plastic down on the bottom side of the camper a few weeks ago to check on an unrelated leak. While I was under there, I realized how shallow the black tank is, and the grey tanks for that matter. Maybe you are just seeing the bottom of the black tank?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I thought the black tank was a lot deeper than it actually is. I kept thinking my black tank was close to full, and even when it was emptied oh, I could see the black plastic really close. I had to pull my black corrugated plastic down on the bottom side of the camper a few weeks ago to check on an unrelated leak. While I was under there, I realized how shallow the black tank is, and the grey tanks for that matter. Maybe you are just seeing the bottom of the black tank?
That is very possible too. It's probably only a 20 +/- gal tank
Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #8

The tank is really shallow! It could easily be the bottom of the tank! You have a 19.9 gallons, so it is fairly small.

If you really want to determine if it is a loose piece of plastic grab a good strong stick, open the hole and give it a small poke. Personally if it is a loose piece of plastic, I would not want it to move, or it could plug the drain.

Questions; Do you use full hookups? If so, are you leaving the black tank valve open when at camp? If so, that is a bad thing. Fill the tank 2/3 or fuller before dumping. Then add at least 10% clear water back into the tank (2-5 gallons). Don't leave the tank dry, unless it is winterized.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

Thank you all for your comments!

It's very strange because the first few trips I could see clearly down the drainage pipe and watch everything go bye-bye, it's like something shifted after a few trips. I poked it with a stick when I first noticed it and nothing budged.

I usually use partial hookups and don't dump unless it's 2/3, and immediately fill up with some fresh and the toilet chemicals.

Now that I'm really getting down there it seems to be metal instead of black plastic, and slightly sloping forward. Almost like it's a metal pan. It's only ~3ish inches from the floor level. I've bailed out about 2.5 gallons of stagnant brown water so the waste definitely isn't going where it's supposed to go...
Old 06-29-2021, 02:34 PM   #10

Maybe your trailer is tilted slightly door side?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #11

Here's a video (apologies for grossness!) https://imgur.com/uSIuOLJ
Old 06-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #12

Could it be the cutout for the toilet discharge? (Cut the hole and let the piece fall into the tank). In your video I think I see an edge of what you’re talking about but not clearly. Fashion a hook from a wire coat hanger and see if you can lift it from the tank bottom or reach in (holding your breath and wearing a disposable glove) and try to move it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #13

From all the angles you panned the camera, that black surface looks like it's too large to be the cutout for the toilet waste pipe. And I don't see any edges.

I think it's the bottom of the tank. Have you drained the black tank and watch to see what happens?

There's space all around the bottom of the pipe dropping from the toilet, going into the tank. Looks like plenty of room for liquids to pass by. Are you sure your black tank valve/outlet isn't somewhat plugged up?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #14

Definitely looks like the tank bottom, that is what I see when I look in mine.