Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2018, 04:37 AM   #1

Black tank chemicals

I've read a lot on how some dont use a chemical in the black tank. But those who do, whats better Happy camper, tank tech or oderlos? We are on a sewer less site, so i have to use a toter, and was wondering is one better than the other as far as breaking down solids, and maybe (i know its waste) lessening the smell?

If this is the wrong forum please move. Thanks.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
Fordguy5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:21 AM   #2

Only advice I ever got was to pick an additive and stick with it, liquid or pods. Liquids and towing combine on solid breakups, dump when it is 3/4+ full.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

I've been using the Dometic 3-N-1 lavender pouches from Amazon for the past few years. They seem to do a good job. More importantly is to make sure you use plenty of water in the black tank and do a thorough rinse after each dump.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

We buy what ever is cheap at Walmart.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

I use this and a lot of water:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMHO there just isn't enough time for 'stuff' to sit in the tank enough to pay any attention to additives that 'breaks things down". These tanks are holding tanks, not septic tanks/fields. Few days tops and the tank gets emptied. Just make sure you use plenty of water (we count 10 Mississippi's for #2 and 5 for #1). The packs I use mask any odor that may come back at us.

Oh, and don't run the exhaust fan in the bathroom while you're counting Mississippi's !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #6

Thanks guys, we are on a permanent site, so the old drive and slosh doesnt work for me. Ill try something mentioned above.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
Old 03-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

When working at campgrounds we are there for about 6 months. I use nothing in the black tank, when it's really hot, I will dump more often using the black tank flush to add water and to completely flush the tank. We have never had odors inside or outside our RV. We rarely go more than 5 or 6 days between dumping and having water available and the tank flush we could flush daily if needed. I have a clear fitting on the discharge and 99% of the solids are broken down when we do flush. I have nothing against any chemicals, which can help in breaking down solids and covering odors, I just have not felt they were needed...no problem don't fix it.

Others may have different situations and feel they need or want the chemicals and that's fine we can each make our own decisions.

Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

Hey Fordguy

I think maybe the other responses weren’t addressing your question correctly.

You want a chemical to break down waste and paper as much as possible because you need to take your tote to the dump station. I don’t believe anything will have enough time to break down the solids before you dump into the tote.

You may want to consider a macerator pump. You can buy them or make your own out of an old garbage disposal. Using the macerator will liquefy all the solids and it can pump uphill. So your tote can stay in the back of the truck while you are emptying the black tank.

Maybe I’m off base and interpreted your question wrong. If so, Tank tech and RV digest it are two chemicals that seem to have the best reviews (results). I’ve used RV Digest it, and it works pretty well if you give it a little time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Hey Fordguy

I think maybe the other responses weren’t addressing your question correctly.

You want a chemical to break down waste and paper as much as possible because you need to take your tote to the dump station. I don’t believe anything will have enough time to break down the solids before you dump into the tote.

You may want to consider a macerator pump. You can buy them or make your own out of an old garbage disposal. Using the macerator will liquefy all the solids and it can pump uphill. So your tote can stay in the back of the truck while you are emptying the black tank.

Maybe I’m off base and interpreted your question wrong. If so, Tank tech and RV digest it are two chemicals that seem to have the best reviews (results). I’ve used RV Digest it, and it works pretty well if you give it a little time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for the input, i have considered a macerater as well. i figuered if i found something that worked, i would let it sit for the week after i leave and dump first thing when i get back friday night. ill try one of the two you mentioned and see how things go...

Thanks again.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
Old 04-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
....Oh, and don't run the exhaust fan in the bathroom while you're counting Mississippi's !

^This....
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

I would suggest you get one of these spray wands.

Camco 40103 Holding Tank Rinser

about 8$ at walmart.

After full dump, hook it to an outside hose (not your fresh water supply hose!!!!!!) and use it to rinse out some pesky solids that hang in there.

Not every time maybe, but at least once in a while to prevent buildup.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #12

Another question. We just got a new TT and are complete newbies. The thought of going to a dump station really gives me anxiety. Mostly only because of the lineups. I've read about making sure you add lots of water before dumping black tanks, then dumping, then doing a tank rinse with a wand or black tank rinse if one is on your unit.
How much time should be spent on average to do all it takes to dump and have clean tanks? I can imagine a busy provincial or state park on a Sunday would be a circus
Thanks
stefanarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote