Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #1

Bleach Solution

I sanitized my tanks overnight with the standard bleach solution. They've been draining now for 4 hours and there's still a steady light stream coming out of the low point drain. Do I need to get every last drop out before I can fill the tanks again and take off? I'm running behind schedule now.
Saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffikeagan View Post
I sanitized my tanks overnight with the standard bleach solution. They've been draining now for 4 hours and there's still a steady light stream coming out of the low point drain. Do I need to get every last drop out before I can fill the tanks again and take off? I'm running behind schedule now.
I'm assuming you're referring to your fresh tank? There's no harm in having a little excess bleach in the tank. Just top it off completely and run the faucets for a minute to flush the concentrate out.

After I bleach my tanks and flush, I add a capful of bleach into my 32 gallon tank. The amount of residual bleach shouldn't be any higher.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #3

That's what I'm thinking. I've 53 gallon tanks and did 1/4c bleach per 15 gallons. I can't imagine that there'd be enough bleach left in the tank at this point to cause an issue, but then I have no idea how many gallons are still in the tanks because the darn thing is STILL steadily streaming out.
Saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Open the cap on your filter screen in front of the pump to allow more air back into the tank. It is possible there is some vacuum building in the tank, air should be getting in through the overflow, but maybe not.

Or, you can also run the pump and turn on the outside shower so that you are draining both through the low point and the water system. Don't try to do both suggestions together of course!

Also, the amount of chlorine diluted in the tank in the first place is actually more dilute than most swimming pools. Don't think anyone ever got very ill from swallowing a bit of swimming pool water. The life of chlorine atoms in suspension is actually pretty short; it will probably dissipate by the time you get to the camp site.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

I shock the 30 gallon water tank at my cabin when I fill it for the first time every season. I use 1/8 cup of bleach and let it stand for 24 hours before using. Since water has to be trucked in quite a distance I do not drain the tank. We just use it.

The first couple showers are not much fun since bleach does tend to dry out skin, but we don't drink it until the first time the tank is topped off.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

If you will be heading out on a trip to a hookup site just pump your water into either the gray or black tanks and then drain when you arrive. I have always used my sanitize water to freshen up my other tanks rather than draining on the ground. Gets me more bang for my water buck.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote